• Trixie58
    Hi,

I have my first two synthetic wigs, which are not HD. I see there are detanglers for HD wigs, but do I need any product to maintain my wig for regular synthetic hair? Do I just wash and condition? I have washed many You Tube video's on caring for synthetic wigs. Some suggest the wig conditioners and some suggest fabric softener. Which is better for regular synthetic hair? I don't want to waste my investment. I have thinning hair and I am so glad that I made the plunge and started playing with wigs, but there is so much to learn!! Any advice would be helpful. Old post recommendations?

Thank you all!
    Trixie
  • VocalEyes
    Hi and welcome! I’ve used both conditioners and fabric softener. I tend to like the fabric softener better. I use un-scented Downey. My wigs come out really soft.
  • Vee1028
    hi and welcome to the forum! A lot of women here prefer fabric softener to condition their wigs. Just be careful to not use too much. I prefer a regular wig conditioner myself. You really don't want to wash your wig too often either. I usually only do it after 15-20 wears.
    There have been several discussions of this here but there will also be many other members responding to your question shortly.
    What wigs do you own?
  • PinkEvie
    Hello and welcome Trixie58, so lovely to have another new member to our group. xx
  • Moonlitnight
    Hello Trixie and welcome to the forum. I hope you have lots of fun times here!
    I personally do not feel that a spray-in conditioner is any better than unscented Downy. I wash my Scene Stealer twice a week (sorry @Vee1028 :blush: ) and use fabric softener as I find the spray makes it clump (it is a very bad wig for clumping and fraying). I always rinse the Downy out very well. I really do feel that a lot of it is trial and error so experiment. Your wig will be fine! They are actually quite resilient.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Hi Trixie, I'm also a fabric softener gal and wash mine about every 6-10 wears. I also use spritz Simply Stylin spray on the nape every night after taking my wig off to detangle. While it still tangles a bit after wearing for 10 hrs, not nearly as much since I've been using the silicone spray. So if your wigs are on the longer side, I definitely recommend Simply Stylin spray.
  • Shar W
    I just found a new conditioner which is amazing. I have been using BioSilk Silk Therapy. It's a leave in. Got it of Amazon.
  • Trixie58
    Hi! I have purchased an Estetica Topper (I think 36L ? the store didn’t give me the box and took the tags off), RW Salsa, and waiting for Estetica Hunter. I love them so far! I’m just a bit intimidated by caring for them (i.e. washing/conditioning/drying them) Do they bounce back to their original shape?
  • BeatA
    synthetic fiber goes back to the original shape as long as no heat is used 9so wash them in cold water, gently dry them ( no rubbing) and let them dry (hang them somewhere) don‘t comb until they are dry
  • Trixie58
    How do you know when you feel it’s time to wash? Do the hairs separate? I’ve heard tangle a lot, what about on shorter (shoulder length) Thank you! How long does it take to dry?
  • BeatA
    everyone is different as to frequency of washing their pieces, I figure it shortens the lifespan, so unless it appear dirty or grimy or yucky from swat or otherwise, I go two or three weeks between washes depends if you wear daily or you switch with othe pieces too. I usually wash at night and it‘s dry by morning. In the summer it dries afte a few hours winter takes longer I would imagine toppers dry quicker I only have wigs
  • Rainbow18
    I usually wash mine after 3 or 4 times wearing them. It's been extremely hot here in Texas lately and if I've worn a wig outside and have sweat in it, I'll wash it after wearing it just once. When I purchase a wig, I'll buy 2 or 3 of the same one so I can switch off.

I use the BeautiMark Shampoo and BeautiMark Leave-in Conditioner that's sold here on Wigs.com . Love the smell! When I wash the wig, I hang it upside down to dry...keeps it from looking so flat when I put it back on my head.
  • Trixie58
    Okay, I will give that a try! My daughters wedding is tomorrow and I want to have my hair washed and ready to go and my family is PANICKING (which makes me panic), that something will go wrong and I will be upset. Oh geez... I think I have read enough to be fairly confident it will be alright.

Funny thing is that I only started wearing wigs three weeks ago and I really don’t want to go without a topper or a wig now. I have been staying with the same color as my (colored) hair, but I’m intrigued by all of the comments and I’m feeling bold enough to try different colors but I’m still in the closet about wearing a wig. I’m interested when people give up the jig and just go for it.
  • Rainbow18
    Enjoy the wedding! Wear comfy underwear & DANCE!!!! Best wishes to your daughter and her new hubby!
  • Moonlitnight
    Trixie, I hope the wedding is just wonderful (it will be!) and that your daughter and her partner stay happy forever. :hearts:
  • Trixie58
    Thank you! Will do!
  • Trixie58
    HAHAHAHA! Thank you! Will do!
  • BeatA
    have a great time
    At the wedding and then Think about coming out of the wig closet later. I only did it this year after twenty years! I had told a bunch of my friends but I did it at work by wearing all kinds of different wigs all within the same week. Surprisingly some people still have not caught on. Well I’m not going to send a memo!
  • Vee1028
    I only wash my wigs after 15-20 warnings. I always feel like washing them more frequently shortens their lifespan. Are you planning on wearing Salsa to the wedding tomorrow? Does she need to be washed today? I have seen people only do the fabric softener rinse in place of any shampoo. But, does she really need shampooed at all?
  • Tammy
    Like everyone has already said, only wash when you just have to. I typically just use fabric softener until I feel that it is to much built up then I will wash but it is hardly ever. BEST product to date that I wish I would have known about when I started wearing girls....Silicon Mix, you can find it on amazon, not sure where else. BUT you mix a tablespoon or two in really warm water to get it dissolved, once it is mixed in with a tad of warm water mix this into your sink of cool water for your wig. If I had known about this...I do not think I would have used anything else, least of all shampoo. The HD spray is pretty awesome for a daily spray and refresher too!
  • Moonlitnight
    I am the exception to the rule. Just started washing my Scene Stealer twice a week and it looks and behaves way better for it.
  • Erzsike
    what happens if you use too much fabric softener????!!!:gasp:
  • Erzsike
    Welcome Trixie!!! My favorite spray conditioner is "Restore" by HairUWear. I also have used fabric softener. with my long wigs, after washing and rinsing, I soak for a bit in fabric softener. I rinse that and lay the wig on a towel and wrap it carefully to absorb some water. Then I take the wig and shake it, spray with Restore and hang to dry on my shower head.
  • Moonlitnight
    I haven't tried that spray. I will do so. I don't have much success with the JR.
  • Erzsike
    My wig lady turned me onto Restore. She sells it in her shop. Totally love it!
  • Moonlitnight
    Thank you for the recommendation! I find the JR makes my RW HD fibre clump.
  • Erzsike
    It is not a miracle spray, but the best I have used so far.
  • alicexm
    I have just started using fabric softener when I was my wigs and wish I’d known sooner. A 30 minute soak then good rinse after washing, blot, spritz with leave in conditioner and hang. Softer and more manageable than out of the box.

As for how often to wash, when it begins to look or feel like dirty bio hair, it’s time for a bath.
  • Vee1028
    too much fabric softener makes your wig feel/look like a sticky, gummy, clumpy mess! I seriously thought I had ruined 4 wigs. And yes, I did rinse them well after the fabric softener soak. When they had dried they felt as stiff as if I had soaked them in starch! So, back to the sink for another rinse....again they dried stiff and gummy. Back to the sun to rinse again...same result. I had to wash these wigs again, twice to get the stiff gummy feeling out of them! Now I stick to my Brandywine shampoo and conditioner and leave the fabric softener in the laundry room!
  • animallover
    Being new to this too this is very interesting how everyone is so different. I have only washed Sweet Talk once. I used Woolite in cold water, swished around, than Downy in cold water, let soak, rinsed a little and hung upside down overnight. Very soft and manageable when dry. I just ordered my first leave in conditioner. Beauty Mark.
    Hope the wedding went well!!!
  • Erzsike
    wow! I better be careful!!!! Thanks Vee!
  • Trixie58
    Update to wedding; it has been postponed until tomorrow morning. Two members of the bridal party got food poisoning and now we’re going to have it 11:30 tomorrow. The groom was one of them! Ughh....lots of tears but everyone who flew in for the wedding are able to stay. We all went sightseeing and ended up enjoying the day, minus the two who are sick as dogs. They’ve turned the corner and the doctor said while the groom might not feel 100%, he’s going to be able to stand and say ‘I do’. So I am wearing my topper. It’s windy here so I’m a tiny bit nervous but it will resemble my ‘normal look’ most since I’m still in the wig closet. I appreciate everyone’s comments and input! This group is fantastic! I’m so glad I found this forum.
  • Vee1028
    I'm so sorry the wedding had to be postponed! Even sorrier for the reason. It's so nice that all of the out of state guests could stay. Hopefully tomorrow will be everything the bride has dreamed of.
    Congratulations
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh my heavens. It will be a lovely story for the bride and groom to tell their children one day ;) I hope all goes well tomorrow, and that the groom feels a lot better.
  • Misty
    Just rreading this now. Definitely hope the groom and other person have made a good recovery.
    Sending very best wishes to you, your family and all the relativates that the wedding goes smoothly today, and your daughter and her new husband have a beautiful life together. :hearts:
  • Trixie58
    Thank you all! It ended up perfect and my daughter looked stunning! I was so proud of both of them. It was all about love!
  • KB7707
    I bought Simply styling spray you recommended!!! It is amazing. I wish I had heard of it sooner, I probably could have “saved” a lot of wigs and money!!!! Thanks so much for the tip!!
  • dc21
    I use it too!
  • animallover
    Just read about the food poisoning....wow. So glad that the wedding went off great! It really is all about love :heart: Did you wear your topper? f your daughter was stunning than I bet you looked fantastic!
  • buckeyegal1963
    You're welcome,it's great stuff! @Tammy Also the silicone mix Tammy recommended is great too, I ordered it after seeing you post about it awhile back Tammy. Makes the hair fiber really soft and manageable.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.