• Moonlitnight
    We have a lot of new male members. Please don't be shy! We would LOVE you to post here and share your experiences. When you post, it really helps others and we women would like more faux-hair-wearing male company! I for one would like to know the best way to broach the subject of a toupée if a prospective partner is not wanting to admit he has one. "Oh look! We both have faux hair" doesn't quite feel right.
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Moonlitnight
    Sadly, the new ones were mostly website promoters :(
  • Jackson1890
    Im male , I simply find females who wear wigs attractive , always have , its mysterious and intersting . Call me strange but life is short x
  • Rugtopper
    Hi. I am new to this site. I still have not made the plunge to get a wig or hairpiece. Read my profile and you might begin to understand. If not, ask me any questions. I will do my best to answer them, though the one question I have never been able to answer is 'why?'. Why do have have such an obsession with getting fitted for a toupee. (I'm old school with terminology.) I am straight, but I like the look of a hairpiece or a full wig on a man. I have never had a problem with women wearing wigs, regardless of the reasoning - medical or just for funzies. The idea of putting one on in the morning and then removing it at night has appealed to me for at least 40 years. Again, no clue to the why. I would love to chat with anyone regarding insights into this unique world.
  • Larry
    Hello everyone,

I'm not exactly new here, but I haven't introduced myself. My name is Larry; I'm a single,55 year-old straight man, and I'm an Evangelical Christian.

I have androgenetic alopecia, and I shave off what hair I can grow. I truly love my bald head, and I take care of it so it looks as nice as possible.

That being said, I also love to wear wigs. I started wearing them when I was in college and as a project for one of my courses, Because I'm a Christian, I considered this to be a ministry as well as a course project. I had to create a peer based support group. I chose to make a group for people with alopecia areata. I wanted to encourage the members to find their own unique way of coping with their hair loss. It was important to me that losing your hair -- whether a man or a woman -- does not mean you lose your beauty, or no longer be able to love or be loved. It's not always easy. I've spent many an evening crying with women,and several men who found it difficult and painful to cope with an important loss -- and losing your hair is a loss -- and it's right, healthy and good to go through the grieving process, because you are going through a transition in your life. Not only is there emotional pain, but also fear. You are going to look different, and not knowing how people will react and be accepting is something to naturally be afraid of.

For me, my balding experience was relatively mild, compared to some of the hair loss sufferers I've known. I became interested in wigs for several reasons -- most of which you ladies can identify with. I enjoy having a variety of looks. Does everyone like it that I wear wigs? No, of course not. On the other hand, a lot do For me, it wasn't being seen bald that scared me, it was what people would think when I was bald one day, blonde the next, and a brunette the day after that. It took a lot of praying and encouraging support from the women in my life to, "just do it already!"

Well, I started doing it, and guess what? The world didn't come to an end. I wasn't made fun of; and as I grew more and more confident, my dating life improved, I developed friendships with women more quickly, and I was seen as approachable by lots of hurting people who needed to share their pain with someone. They came to me because of my story, that I wasn't just talking the talk but walking the walk when I was bald as an egg sometimes, and wigged at other times; and they came because they saw Christ in me.

I stopped wearing wigs when I left school -- hey I was an adult now and everyone knows you can't have fun after entering the adult world. Unfortunately, you forget things -- eve important things.

About six months ago, I got a call from one of my beloved friends from those college days, and she asked me if I still wore wigs. I admitted to her that I didn't. She demanded to know why not. After giving the lame excuses that I was too old and that I wasn't involved in a support group, or doing any ministry work that wigs would be useful, she read me the riot act. She reminded me not only of the good things that I had played a part in helping others, or that God had done through using me, and that there was plenty more things left to be done. She then asked me if I missed all the fun I had, and all the compliments I used to get? Well, I had a lot to think about after we hung up, and much to pray about to.

My sister is a breast cancer survivor, and had both breasts removed. I saw that the national alopecia areata awareness day was approaching, as were a lot of other important events and anniversaries in my life were coming up. I found my motivation to start wearing wigs again. I now wear wigs to draw attention to issues, causes that are near and dear to my heart. On national breast cancer awareness day, I addressed everyone in the dining hall on the importance of self examining your breasts once a month, and to have a yearly mammogram because it could save their life. When I spoke at that luncheon I didn't do so as the totally bald Larry they knew so well, but as a Larry with a beautiful full head of ginger red hair. At my church recently I led the congregation in reading from the Book of Common Prayer. I did so as Larry with short hair, the color of soft pewter. I always refer to my wigs as my hair -- I may not have grown it, but I bought it and have both the receipt and pink slip to prove it <wink>.

Well, I guess this message has introduced me -- probably too much information -- but I hope those of you who like exchanging e-mail about our mutually favorite thing -- wigs -- will feel free to do so.

God bless and love,

Larry

PS. I want to thank my stylist, Julie, for doing my "hair", and returning me back to the land of wigs, and for believing in what I'm doing with my new heads of hair.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.