• Moonlitnight
    I ordered two trial sizes of Toppik - white and light blonde - and mixed them together. I didn't expect much but couldn't resist trying it out. Well, I am very pleasantly surprised. Being very fair, there isn't any contrast between my hair and scalp and maybe that helps. It made the 1/2" regrowth of my rubbed off hair at the front hairline look way thicker. Has anyone else used it? With a topper, for example??
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I used it BEFORE converting to wigs. I tried a topper 1 time - and I hated the way it felt. The clips really bothered me. My hair is too fine even when it was fuller.
    The toppik did help the way my hair looked. But I found it to be a pain and I only used it a few times.
  • animallover
    I tried Toppik before wigs. I liked it OK at first but than it started making my scalp itch. I than ordered Joan Rivers Great Hair Day hair powder and loved it. It worked for quite awhile too. I still use it to blend the sides in better after I put the wig on, if it needs it.
  • dc21
    I can't stand the mess my daughter makes with Toppik on the bathroom counter, she has dark hair. I swear she must be sprinkling it everywhere but her hair.
  • animallover
    LOL, yes, I made quite a mess too with Toppik. The powder you dab on with a brush. Much easier. I still use it on my buzzed head to fill in spots. It works wonders.
  • MadamLeota
    I tried using Toppik, but I feel like it didn't adhere or settle well onto my scalp. It made my scalp itch a bit as well. My scalp seems to have gone into hyper sensitive mode recently. Dry shampoo irritates it too. I might give Joan Rivers or Bumble & Bumble's a try.
  • animallover
    My scalp has gone hyper sensitive too. When I take my wig off my bio hair is flattened every which way and it "hurts" to fluff it.
  • animallover
    Oh, and I don't think I welcomed you. So welcome!! This is a fabulous place to be!!
  • Moonlitnight
    I have heard good things about Joan Rivers' powder. It costs a royal fortune to ship up here though and I don't really need it.
  • animallover
    I saw it on Hopeandmane and decided to try it. I am glad I did as it worked great for me and lasts forever. It is expensive though. I probably won't buy it again as now I just wear wigs. :razz:
  • MadamLeota
    It is a fabulous place! I'm learning so much, and feeling less alone in my hair loss struggle. Everyone here is lovely :smile:
  • DeniseJH
    I was using XFusion (pretty much the same thing as Toppik) and the Joan Rivers product for years until just a couple of months ago when I decided I needed to switch to wigs. (I used the JR's on the front areas for better control.) I have just lost too much hair to get away with it anymore. I'm kind of glad in a way though - the powder was so messy, and I always wanted to wash it out of my hair when I got home. Wigs are working out great for me now.
  • Moonlitnight
    Me too. I just saw the mini sizes on some feed or another and so bought it.
  • Gingersnap
    I used to use Toppix too. It worked very well but eventually I got tired of the whole process: product, curling iron, back combing, hairspray. Glad it’s working for you.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh I'm no using it, Gingersnap! I just bought it in the mini size to see what it was like. There is no way I could go wigless at the moment. I have crypt hair. Massive loss due to all my hair going into the telogen phase at once. (It's a minoxidil thing for me...every seven years or so but this time it has been way worse.) My lacefront wigs rubbed off my hair at the front and 1/2" has grown back, so I sprinkled some there and was very surprised by its appearance.
  • DeniseJH
    I gotcha :) The stuff really does work pretty well though.
  • A7X
    This sounds EXACTLY like my old biohair process, except instead of Toppik I used L'Oreal root coverup to fill in the scalpy areas. I don't miss doing that at all and can now sleep an extra half hour in the morning since I don't have to do my hair!

(I actually repurposed that root coverup to give a "rooted" appearance to my unrooted wig and it looks pretty good.)
  • Moonlitnight
    Tell me about it. I went for a walk in the rain yesterday. It was soooo beautiful in
    the forest, and I thought "I could never have done this before." My hair would have been a total disaster, even under a hood. As it was, I walked around wearing my long wig like a hat while everyone else I saw was either hooded or hatted. It was heaven, I tell you. :grin:
  • Gingersnap
    Couldn’t agree more. Wigs have given me freedom!
  • A7X
    Same here - it's been terrible weather for the last few days here in the US Mid Atlantic, but I ventured out yesterday in my wig and didn't think twice about the rain/wind/humidity. The feeling was AMAZING! And Gingersnap, you're right, wigs have also given me freedom!

I was waiting for the train this morning and one of the women I ride the train with noted that my hair looked perfect despite the bad weather... lol.

It's funny, I've joked for years about my hair frustrations ("I'm going to shave it off and just buy a wig, I swear...") And now here I am!
  • Shar W
    I used it when I wore toppers. I had the dark brown. I thought it worked great. But it was messy.
  • JeannetteB
    what do you mean by it being a minoxidil thing for you?
  • Moonlitnight
    I mean every seven years or so, my hair goes into the resting phase. Minoxidil's MO is to keep hair in the anaphase (growing phase) but this can only continue for so long. For reasons unique to me, my hair goes into the resting phase all at the same time, or most at the same time, and I get massive fall. This happens roughly every seven years.
  • JeannetteB
    I see. I’m still using monoxidil even though I’m not sure it’s doing anything for me. So you still use it even though you wear wigs? Sometimes I wonder if the minox is doing more harm than good but I’m afraid to stop. I’m currently going through a heavy shed at my hairline and I don’t know if it will ever grow back in. I take it with your condition your hair falls but then grows back?
    I’m still in the “why me God” phase but I sense that I’m getting closer to resignation. If I could only find the right helper hair to “cure” me.
    Have a beautiful day
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.