• Ann41m
    Hello friends, I am new to wigs. I have been only a JR customer and would like to venture out to other brands. If any of you have a favorite mid length that is synthetic, doesn’t tangle much, last a long time, and is under $200. Please do tell, I would love to know. Thanks
  • Moonlitnight
    Hi Ann. A lot of wigs are under $200 during the 30% off sales, which can be all the time, depending on where you shop. I just bought Raquel Welch's Love Love Love and it came in under $200. Is isn't the HD fibre, so I am not concerned about matting. Any longer wig will tangle. It's just the nature of the beast. People here recommend Simply Stylin' spray to help with that. Over to everyone else as I only wear long...
  • Ann41m

Thank you for your response; I will try a RW. You mentioned the one you bought was not HD is there a difference?
  • Moonlitnight
    Hello Ann. Yes there is a huge difference in the fibre. HD Tru2Life heat-friendly fibre in the RW line attracts more complaints than I have seen for all wigs combined. The stuff mats within the first few wearings and gets progressively worse. Her non heat-friently fibre, Vibralite, is much better. It is a litle shiny and needs either a wash or dry shampoo or both to tone it down a little. Have you considered Envy? They have some pretty styles. @BeatA has bought some lovely medium length wigs lately, as has @Shar W so they will likely chime in with some suggestions as well :)
  • BeatA
    under $200 with a long lifespan... I don’t know. It all depends. What cap features you want how you feel about permatease open wedged etc etc.
    your best bet is to peruse the outlet wogs wigoutlet .com and other websites which also have clearance wigs etc.
    I got a Karli Jon Renau for about 200 on eBay. Like new only tried on. That was a very decent deal so that’s another option.
    I like Envy Chloe, don’t remember how much it was but it was under 250 with 30% discount. It is wavy but not too curly and very pretty. It’s about shoulder length.
    If you don’t care too much about lace front or mono tops I am sure there are some good deals in other mid lengths. For me mono tops ( at least partial) and lace fronts are a must do to stay under 200 I would probably have to turn to eBay or outlets for a mid length. Off the top of my head...
  • Shar W
    I thought Ocean and Aspen by Estetica was nice. Dakota by Envy was a nice wig as well. To be honest I don’t remember what I paid for mine.
  • Ann41m
    Thank you all for the insight; I’m new to this and I’m still learning. I appreciate all the assistance. Big hugs to you all, you are awesome. I’m so glad I stumbled onto the forum.
  • Trixie58
    Hi! Welcome! Boy, do I know what you mean! I’m a newbie, as I have only doing this wig thing for about two months. I must warn you....it’s addicting! I have four and ordered another one but I need to only purchase when they are on sale. It can get pricey. The people on this forum are fabulous for gleaning information! I get TONS of compliments on my Micki by Envy. She’s super comfy too. I think it’s helped me going for different makers and cap types to see what you like.

Can’t wait to hear about what you find that helps you.
  • Ann41m
    Thank you Trixie, Yes it’s a huge learning experience and I’m very thankful to all the fabulous people here; they are so helpful. My initial experiences with the local wig shops was not for me to say the least. The quality in fibers and manufacturers is quite different. My starter wig was Jon Reanu’s Jackson and it’s my go to since. It takes a beating and even though it’s not heat friendly I have steamed my creamy toffee R many times to revive it; it still looks like new. Steamed my brown Jackson and it ruined it. Funny how the same piece reacts differently due to the color. I tried RW loved the lace front and mono part but the back tangled so bad after two times I wore it. Steaming took the waves out..defeating the whole look of the wig, very disappointed. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a piece that I don’t get to wear more than a month. I’m very thankful for the suggestion, I will definitely try them.
  • Moonlitnight
    That is really interesting about the two different Jackson colours and how they behaved after steaming. Jackson is Noriko, I believe. I really like their fibres. My Noriko Milan was a lovely topper. RW wigs just don't behave themselves, I'm afraid. Lovely styles and colours but very poor fibre. Was yours HD or Vibralite (the non-heat-friendly one)?
  • SuzieQ
    My work wig has always been Jackson. Noriko has my favorite fibers but roots are much darker than I like.
    However, I wish Noriko would increase their styles and take note of the success of JR new blondes with lighter roots. This is champagne rooted. ddmwx9lm549lkqvn.png
  • Twinkle
    Hi!! Patti of Patti’s Pearls has fabulous videos on YouTube on how to bring the curl back by steaming. It might help you to put the curl back into the wig.
  • Ann41m
    What a beautiful picture! I love your hair, it looks wonderful on you, very natural. I wish they would make the Jackson in a lace front with a mono part. The fibers are the best, so soft and last a long time.
  • SabrinaC

You may be my hair sister. I too have had Jackson and love her. Drew is really close however she does not wear well and tangles. I have also had Kristen, Mena, and a few others. I have fell in love with Estetica Aspen. Similar length to Jackson and slight volume but waves and lace front so realistic. Has volume without the permatease like Jackson. I am in the DFW area but I have finally found a shop that was friendly and patient with me. It is tough but hang in there. Good Luck!
  • Moonlitnight
    It must be wonderful to actually try wigs on. I live on an island so not much opportunity to do that! Aspen has been on my radar for a while. In fact I believe I ordered this wig then cancelled when my colour was backordered for four months.
  • SabrinaC

I understand. I truly found the one in Aspen. Not too curly just slight wave makes it look so real. My color was back ordered as well and I am waiting for my back-up in my color to come into my gals shop around first of October. I actually bought her in a lighter blonde and a kiss dark color I love her so much. However I am most confident in my typical rooted blonde. Let me know your thoughts if you try her out. Good Luck!
  • Twinkle
    Hi!! Ok, I almost never spend more than $200 and I usually spend a lot less. The reason is that I wear bangs. Because of that I don’t need a lace front. I also like a little permatease. You will pay more for wigs that have lace and less permatease, plus other features like cap construction. I still have bio hair so I don’t require special caps. You need to consider all of this when looking at price. When I get a new piece, I also thin it and work with it a bit. People never think I’m wearing a wig. You should look at paula young for less expensive ones. Some are really amazing. I’ve worn Bailey from René of Paris forever and it’s amazing. I wait until it goes on sale. It needs to be thinned a bit and the shine needs to be dulled, but that’s easy to do. Hope that helps!!!
  • Jess35wi
    My go to everyday cheap easy wig is Jon renau kristen. She only lasts about a month or a little more but I always get 30% off so its only $120. I just usually wear a headband because it's only lace front not mono too. pzh2dufutkw858my.jpg
    ohf2y35e0qtu4j9p.jpg
  • Dolly
    Like SuzieQ, I like Noriko's Jackson in a rooted color (Champagne) and have gotten many compliments - usually asking who does my hair?
    Attachments
    Arrival (65K)
    14441053_1251585771552811_3750913395488627170_n (103K)
  • Samantha
    Hi Jess! Your hairline looks incredibly realistic and very pretty! What style do you have on in your profile picture?
  • Jess35wi
    Thank you. For being on a tight budget I've learned to work with only lace fronts or partial mono tops. My profile pic is Jon renau scarlett! I have a petite head and have found jon renau I can get away with an average size cap so I buy alot of Jon renau. I'm about to order Jon renau haute. Shes budget friendly and the slightly longer version and mono version of kristen. Scarlett and kristen with coupon codes u can get for under 150$. Haute as well. Hope that helps! siqhugvv8kgsag8c.jpg
    The pic is a long option...that is orchid by estetica and that u can get for under 200$ as well! Watch the websites and sign up for the emails u will get tons of 20-30% coupon codes. Or try the clearance or inventory reduction selections as well for good deals. Ive never paid full price for my hair
  • buckeyegal1963
    You look so cute wearing Kristen! Did you pluck the hairline? It looks very natural. My first wig was Kristen, but have decided I wanted something a bit longer and with a mono part. I'm surprised you only get a month or so out of your Kristens, I wore mine for about 6 weeks and it still looks new. I just got JR Scarlett and I don't like it at all, it's a lot curlier than it looks in your profile pic (you look great in Scarlett), did you steam to relax the curls? I'm debating whether to return it or try working with it.

I just discovered a budget line I only heard of recently, Mane Attraction line by Henry Margu. Unfortunately wigs dot com doesn't carry this line. I ordered Mane Attraction Enchantress in the shade Creamsicle. It has a lace front and left side mono part, it's a lot longer than I had expected, but for $125 bucks I like it. I think I"m going to cut a few inches off it to about collar bone length. It's pretty shiny, but I'm sure a washing and some dry shampoo will take care of that. Here's a pic.

dgpk87ngk397efy2.jpg
    The stock photos of this line aren't the greatest, however on Heather's site she has posted pics of herself wearing some of them, they look much better. I just ordered Seduction, a shoulder length bob with a lace front, looks like a slightly longer version of Kristen. I had a vip discount code and got her for $78.
  • dc21
    That Mane Attraction looks awesome on you! That is a great price for mono part/lace front too! Heather's pics of the Mane Attraction styles on her look great, much better than the promo pics.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thanks! I like it much more than my recent purchases of RW Big Time and Watch Me Wow which were much more money. I wish there were more styles available in the Mane Attraction line, there are only 7 or 8 I think. I hope I like Seduction as much as this one (I laugh at the names in this line). I ordered Seduction in the color toffee, I'm hoping it's close to JR 14/26S10, I've tried some other colors, but I feel I look best in that shade.
  • Jess35wi
    Beautiful! And I wear my Kristen every day I could probably get more than 4 weeks out of it but I think I need to invest in an actual wig steamer because when it starts to get frizzy I use a regular clothes steamer on it which I have a feeling is probably too much heat so I end up doing more damage but I used to spend $250 a month on basically a glued-on hair topper at a local hair salon so I don't mind spending $120 a month on a new Kristen. And I pluck a few hair but I try not to mess with the lace front too much but I'm going to give "haute" I try next week cuz it doesn't cost a whole lot more than Kristen and it's a mono which is my preference
  • Jess35wi
    can I ask the quick version of how u maintained your kristen so long? Tips r appreciated! I'm 3 years into wig wearing and still have alot I could learn
  • Ann41m
    I love all of your pics; your hair looks natural on each of you. Thank you for sharing the the different pieces, I will look for them and try them out.
  • buckeyegal1963
    I've eyed Haute myself, I'm sure you will look beautiful, hopefully you will post a pic.

I use a regular clothes steamer on my wigs, not anything specifically for wigs. Maybe you got a little too close with the steamer? I did that with one of mine, without thinking I ran the steamer directly over the hair on a section and that ruined it.

As far as taking care of my wigs, I use Simply Stylin' Silicone Spray, it's really great stuff, I posted about it in a thread the other day asking for Detangling recommendations. I use a tiny amount daily on my wigs and make sure to detangle after every wear. After a wash, I soak them in a little Fabric Softener for about 15 minutes, then rinse. Every other wash, I use a little Bamboo Silicone Mix on the lower half of the wig to deep condition. I've been wearing my JR Minka for about 5 months and just now the ends are looking just a little frizzed, so I'm going to steam and hopefully will get another couple months out of her.
  • Jess35wi
    Ok awesome..so we do almost the same maintenance. I use fabric softener as well and have used silicon mix in the past. Should order again
    And I believe I may have tamed down my scarlett with the steamer. I bought her again recently and wasn't happy with the style so that could have been the difference. And yes..I've got a 35% off coupon code for my regular website I buy all my hair from for Jon renau so I'm going to order her tonight. I'll be sure to post a pic. It's an HD wog though so I need to get the proper spray for maintenance
  • Iluvmyhair
    I ordered my first Tatum by Amore several months ago and absolutely love it! it's a little more than $200, but ordered on sale, can be less. It does not have a lace front, but it is not needed because it has bangs. It does have a full monofilament top. I've been wearing wigs for over 4 years now and have never found a medium to long wig that does not tangle within a few wearings. I don't know what is different about the fibers on Tatum, but I've worn it many times over the past 3 months (at least 15-20 wearings) and there has literally been no matting or frizzing, which in my experience has never happened with a wig past my shoulders. I just ordered another Tatum in a different color to see if I have the same results. The stock photos, in my opinion do not give this cute wig justice. I'm in my 50's and think I can pull it off without any trouble and receive compliments every time I wear it. vhpc26lstl3sddqe.jpeg
  • Cathe Lartigue
    I just uploaded three affordable wig videos on my YouTube channel. All are extremely affordable and well under $200. The first one is Charlotte by Tressalure
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Review Number three:

• rpwatson
    I love the style and the color. You look great in this wig!
  • lisa0721
    I wear Haute | HF Synthetic Lace Front Wig (Mono Part) - FS6/30/27 by Jon Renau. At first, I noticed some frizz after a few wears, but I bought "Revlon Texturizing Cleanser & Revitalizing Conditioner for Synthetic Hair & Wigs, 8oz, 2 Pack", and it makes the fiber so soft. There is also Jon Renau HD Smooth Detangler (8.5 Ounce) that you can spray on dry hair inbetween shampoos. I ordered both from Amazon, since I have Prime and get 2 day shipping.

I shampoo/condition once a week and hang it on a styrofoam head to dry. It's so soft when it's dry. :)
  • Toni Warner
    My go to everyday wig is Jackson by Noriko in Champagne R, but I also wear Avery in Silky Sand by TressAlure. It is very similar to the Jackson and it is rooted, the cost for the Avery is $115.00 without 30% off. Unfortunately Wigs.com doesn't carry that brand, but both of these wigs worn everyday will only last a month or two. In my profile picture I am wearing the Jackson.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Because I am not able to post “affordable brand” wigs on this forum (I guess it’s a brand thing) I will suggest you head to YouTube and search “affordable Wig Reviews” they are out there and many of the brands (mostly geared toward women of color) offer spectacular wigs. I know. I wear them.
    And that’s what drives me up a wall! Not everyone who wears wigs can afford the high price. Two of my favorite bridge brands are Estetica Designs and Envy. Both brands wigs last forever with proper care. But seriously if you are a newbie, head to YouTube!
  • linda
    Cathe, it's good to see you back. I was wondering if you had signed off for good.
    I'll look up your Youtube videos. I find it frustrating regarding the comments regarding the longevity of wigs. I wear toppers by Rene'Of Paris. I rotate, and Ive have had them for 9 years.
    Im not sure who commented on the quality Jon Renau's wigs, but I have experienced the same. Poor quality. Thanks for your input.
    Linda
  • Happy to ve Retired
    The longevity is frustrating. I have been wearing Jon Renau. I am (unfortunately or fortunately depending on perspective and the day) a full time wig wearer. This means - wearing in the wind, the rain, the heat, the gym, etc. So - I wear heat friendly Jon Renau. I LOVE the feel when I first get the wig. I have several wigs and rotate them. Old ones for the pool and gym. So - yesterday I washed several that were well overdue. I soaked in fabric softener after. They are all old wigs that have been worn for at least 30 days. Well - they ALL feel terrible to me now - especially the lace front part of the wig. I am going to try another soak.

I am planning on changing color anyway - so I have 3 new wigs that I am planning on wearing. This means it does not totally break me that all of the current wigs feel like trash. But - the new ones are of the same ilk - just new JR wigs in heat friendly. Personally I do not like synthetic non-HF wigs.

So - I have resigned myself to this new reality. Replace at least every 30 days.

Since the cap also seems affected - I wonder as well about the beautiful human hair wigs that some of our formerly very active members are getting now. Very pricey and if they have the same wearable clock - that could be very disappointing to say the least.
  • linda
    Thanks for replying. Hmm, do you think that this happens with only the longer styles? Is it the feel or the look or both? Cause Im not replacing wigs every month. When I read the blog and read this I think that it's gonna be a real deterrent for potential wig buyers.
    Thanks.
    Linda
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Hi Linda! I've been so busy at work lately that I haven't had time to focus on anything else. Leaving for Paris in two weeks--Thanksgiving in my husband's homeland! He has requested wigs that I bring too! But I'm absolutely confused as to why pricey wigs aren't lasting longer for many women. I will say this I don't put any styling products at all on any of my wigs and I think that could be a longevity factor!! What do you think?
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Not every thirty days. Have you tried other brands other than Jon Renau? I'm very upset right now. Not at you but at the wig companies.
    Trust me, I wear my Jamison (I have three or four) in the rain and in windy weather and my oldest Jamison is almost a year old and still is looking fine! Same with Violet--my Violet wigs are, in wig life, pretty darn old and are still going strong! This is so disturbing to me because I cannot understand how I can purchase a fifty buck AA wig that lasts for a long, long time and these pricey wig companies have women purchasing every thirty days. I would go broke. Something just is not right here!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    i think i used to be able to wear them longer. But - i bought some about 3 months ago and those seem to wear out faster. I dont put any products in the wigs but they are a HD fiber - which i like initially but i think it does not wear as well. I prmarily weat Heat by JR - which is about 120 on sale. It has a lace front. It feels so soft when i first get it but then gets very dry. I figure it would be at least 120 each time i went to a stylist if i had hair - so i can live with it if i can have that “new car smell”.

Now - i rotate the old one to be a hiking wig - and i rotate the old hiking wig to be a pool wig.

One month may be a slight exaggeration but not by much.

I am changing to a new color / so i just got 3 new wigs. I will keep track of how long these feel fresh and new. Fingers crossed. I wear full time and i do love it when new.

I an going to try some things to renew my old wigs. It will be interesting to try things i would never try on a wig i was wearing for real.
  • Misty
    Haven't been on the forum in ages and just having a look now. Lovely to see you ladies both here. :hearts:
    I've been told Jon Renau changed their fibre in the past 4-6 months, similar as to how Henry Margu changed their fibre about 1 year ago. I wear Jon Renau Zara which is very long, and I average 6 - 7 weeks of wearing day in and day out from 7am to 9pm approx. At the end, if I chose to cut the length (because by then steaming the ends would not work) I could probably get another couple of weeks, IF the lace front held up. Usually, by the time I hit 6-7 weeks the lace is not great either, and it is time for a new one. In our hot humid summertime I only get about 4 weeks, because I need to wash the wig more, and with the humidity the lace goes a bit floppy and scratchy.
  • linda
    Rene’of Paris. I’ve returned 3 Jon Renau toppers. It’s the fiber. Guess I’m spoiled. I do not use a lot of product. I use a J R shampoo and L’anza conditioner. Leaves them silky smooth. I recently used JR piece out contour fiber cream. Love it. Just a dab. By chance, I discovered it helped with a little frizzy area on my bangs.
    I recently ordered my first wig. Kona. It’s back ordered, but I’m looking forward to getting it.
    Thanks for your input.
  • greenebo
    Linda what is L'anza...for the frizzes???It is also by JR?
  • Vee1028
    what color did you order for Kona?
  • linda
    Hi Vee, it’s Mocha with Cream.
  • Vee1028
    ahhhhhh! Same as mine then!
  • buckeyegal1963
    There was a Kona in Honey with Chai Latte on an outlet site, I actually put in my cart and was considering purchasing it, but I hemmed and hawed too long, by the time I was going to lick the purchase button someone else had snatched it up :sad:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.