• Happy to ve Retired
    I am not home yet but i just got notification that a package arrived from hair u wear.

I would prefer more discretion. Anyone else bothered by this sort of thing?
  • Shar W
    All of mine have either come in a brown box or padded mailer. I haven't experienced this. But I think I would be a little annoyed. :roll:
  • Moonlitnight
    Yes. The wig companies have a different corporate name to preserve privacy for their customers. That is just wrong. I guess it was drop shipped (direct from manufacturer). I have huge problems in the local post office, which is in the drug store. The probability of my hair being a wig is a source of great fascination for them. When I ship a wig to the US, I have to fill in the export form to show contents. Sometimes, the PO lady fills it in herself and asks me what is in there. I hate it. I always write or say "Hair extensions." On more than one occasion, another PO woman shows up at my door, package in hand and right there on the Canada Customs forms it says WIG. The wig companies themselves write something innocuous like Scene Stealer Biscuit hair but Canada Customs opens the package and then writes "WIG" on the forms for the PO to collect taxes from me.
  • Misty
    That is not good, and could be very embarrassing to have some one deliver to your home! Some companies write "Hair Products" which I do not have a problem with.
  • Moonlitnight
    That is fine. My problem is with Customs. They open up the package and then inspect it (and probably try it on) and then write what it is at the top of the form.
  • Misty
    Plain nasty. Sometimes my wig parcels get openned in customs (in Sydney) but then they get delivered as usual. Just a sticker on the outside of the box advising the parcel has been opened to check the contents are as described.
  • Moonlitnight
    You don't get taxed? I rarely do, but if I do, it's usually taxed and opened/inspected.
  • Misty
    No not yet, however they are bringing in 10% from 1 July this year. Some things I buy online have the tax, at the moment my hair is not taxed. I have bought up the past few months, as I want to put off paying an extra 10% while I can. Our AUS$1 is only around US$.0.70, so even when a 30% sale is on, I pay full price with the exchange rate, and then freight. Still heaps cheaper than buying from a wig store in Australia.
  • Vee1028
    the last package I received was addressed from wigoutlet dot. And I had a notification from UPS stating they would be delivering a package from wigoutlet. Did I care? Absolutely not! I never even thought about it until I read your post. Why would I care that the person scanning my package would know that someone somewhere in Las Vegas was getting a wig? And actually, whoever did scan it would never have even noticed where it was from. These are just people doing a job they aren't sitting and inspecting every box they scan. And the young kid that bought it to my doorstep? He was just in a hurry to leave it on the porch and get back to his truck to finish up his deliveries. He never would have even taken a second glance at it. And why should he?
    If I lived in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business, like #Moonlitnight does, then maybe it would bother me.
  • Moonlitnight
    Our exchange is very close. The 30% brings it to the same price, roughly.
  • A7X
    I am constantly flabbergasted by the amount of scrutiny the people in your town feel the need to bring on, well, probably everyone. I used to live in a small town in Maine (pop. 6,000) where everyone knew your business and what you were like since you were a kid. It was awful and I moved to a big city right after college where nobody knew me, what a relief. I would have been mortified to be outed as wearing a wig in my small town, I get your annoyance at having boxes marked WIG. You'd think the wig companies would be more discreet!
  • Moonlitnight
    It isn't the wig companies, A7X, it is Canada Customs, when they attach their Assessment of charges form. The wig companies are very discreet with their wording as I mentioned above. Canada Customs isn't.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I am just glad i did not send it to someone to hold for me. Before retirement i frequently sent packages to my office because i would be there to take delivery. I suspect this was a drop ship from manufacturer after i ordered from a website.

I am saying this can happen without warning so if you don’t want a conversation or having a receptionist make an issue - only send it places that you can deal with the info being public.

If you are already “out” as a wig wearer - then not a problem.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    Even worse - after i retired but before hubby retired - i sometimes sent packages to HIS office. Now - picture that!!! Just relieved this is being held at our ups box.
  • Misty
    Just checked now, it is very similar isn't it! So freight to Australia is around US$56 from wigs.com, but no additional taxes - yet.
  • Misty
    Years ago, I had an incident with my wig, and I urgently needed a replacement! I had a spare, and had to wear that to work. It wasn't in great shape, but it was okay. I rang my then wig shop in Brisbane, and they couriered over new hair for me. Bless the salesgirl, she wrapped it in Happy Birthday paper, with a belated birthday note! Probably confused the heck out of our receptionist, who opened the outside brown paper wrapping, and then realised it was marked personal! It sure saved me that day :hearts:
  • Moonlitnight
    That is a GREAT story. I love it when people go the extra mile.
  • Misty
    She was fantastic! Whenever I changed my colour or style (very slightly), she would tell me to say I had had highlights or foils etc. The store closed up in Queensland some time ago, no warning, so quite sad. She was definitely an employee who put her heart into her work :hearts:
  • Moonlitnight
    She sounds quite wonderful...
  • Happy to ve Retired
    sounds like she understood wig wearers. Lots of us do not want attention called to the fact that we wear wigs and would like to be in control of when we discuss it.

As i mentioned - mine had hair u wear on the return address and i think that wig manufacturers and wig stores should be more sensitive to our privacy desired.

The wig shop you dealt with went way above and beyond. Sorry they closed as this is a model for how wig shops shouid conduct business.

Perhaps even a box to check if you would prefer privacy when you order. Those of us that wear wigs out of necessity rather than fashion are likely more sensitive to the issue.
  • Misty
    Absolutely agree with you! She was an outstanding asset to the owner of the company. Sad I never had the chance to even say goodbye!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.