• mcvoice
    3jn44w2piw9tg0b5.jpg
    Hey Girls & Guys! I'm the blonde in the photo in Stop Traffic RW. I wanted to share my steamer experience. have you cut your own bangs? Have you tried a steamer? Well, this week I did both! I splurged & purchased the Jon Renau Wig Steamer. (yep not a cheap steamer in the least). But I watched some vids on it - including Heather at "Cwigs" and decided on it because of the direct nozzle designed for precise steaming - especially on a curly wig or lace front wig. I bravely, carefully cut bangs/fringe into 2 wigs (Scarlett and Mia) and honestly, due to the wavy style the bangs looks weird and wouldn't lay well. I thought I ruined them! BUT This steamer took care of them & they look fantastic now and so real. Having the directional nozzle (as opposed to say a clothes steamer with steam going everywhere) was a huge help. I tried steam on my Stop Traffic to give it a bit more height! I love this steamer! ANYWAY, I ended up w/a duplicate steamer & couldn't send it back but it’d since been sold.
  • Vee1028
    well, aren't you brave! I don't think I would dare to cut bangs into one of my curly wigs!
    I've been thinking of purchasing Mia myself....how do you like it compared to Scarlett? Does it seem less thick?
    You look great in Stop Traffic as always. Love this photo of you!
  • mcvoice
    I like the Mia. she has a little less volume and of course the lace front, monofillimemnt makes it much more realistic. I have to say I like the volume of Scarlet And feel comfortable in her so I think feeling confident in what your wearing makes it looks realistic to others.
  • Vee1028
    Thanks so much! I actually bought Scarlett and thought I really liked it. Then, after passing it up for 2 weeks in preference to a different wig, I decided it was probably not something I would wear often and returned it. Now, I keep thinking of buying it again as I would like a wavy wig of that length. I did think that maybe it was the thickness of the hair that I wasn't comfortable with, but it really did not look overly thick in the photos I took in it. I have been thinking of buying Mia as a replacement as it seems to be a bit less dense or at least more layered and therefore less heavy at the ends.
    I agree, confidence in what you're wearing goes a long way in making it look realistic.
  • Erzsike
    Great job! I cut bangs in my hair after watching my wig lady do it, but have never done bangs on a totally curly wig. Did you sell the steamer? Thank you! Also, how do you use steam to add height? I would love to know!
  • Dolly
    I'd like to know that too; How DO you use steam to add height?
  • mcvoice
    I didn't sell the steamer yet. Let me know if you are interested. it would be 58.00 and include shipping. They sell for 75.00 plus shipping online. How I added the height was to use the steam on the underside of a section of hair and then hold it in the "raised" position until it cooled. I did that on a few sections on the top and it gave me body and height. Heater from cysterwigs has a great steam video (using the Jon renau steamer) and shows how to put in a curl, a lifted bang, how to add height. So I kinda followed that and was able to straighten my (new cut) bang on Scarlett and add direction to all the hair. Then in two different pieces I added some height on the top. The beauty of the Jon renau steamer is the directional nozzle - most regular steamers have multiple little holes for the steam to come out but you don't really have any control where all the steam goes. The little nozzle on the JW give you exact control where you want to place it so it made me feel more confident and less worried about damaging the lace or mono top!
  • mcvoice
    I’m sorry but it was sold a few days ago! so I will have to remove my post!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I thought I would share. When I saw that the JR steamer was sold here - I ordered one online for $75 including shipping. I just tried it and I have to say I love it. I watched the video by cyster wigs and it was very helpful - told me what to avoid. I have a bunch of OLD wigs and I am using them to get used to it. But - it is amazing because it is to precise. So - I tried putting rollers in just to see if I could get "waves" - well it is so effective that I got real curls which I did not want. But - I am totally impressed and I do think that it is worth the extra money because of the precision. I used it to "train bangs" and that went smoothly. I definitely need to experiment more but it is something that i know I will use. The cheap steamer works find - but it you try to train bangs it would hit the lace and that would become damaged and stiff.
  • mcvoice
    This is my experience too - worth the money (I did use a coupon so I got mine for 50.00 w/free shipping) but still, it worked great on my bangs (which I cut myself into my piece and for some volume. And that was just the first time using it. I believe I will get better as I do it more and that it (hopefully will add longevity to the pieces - especially at the nape. :)
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I was tempted to wait for black friday What was your coupon? I really wanted to go ahead so I paid the 75 with free ship. I have several old wigs to practice on. What is very striking is that you can train the hair to do what you want.

I just got my new color JR wig and it seems thinner than JR used to make. Now - not a problem for me as I always thinned mine. But - has anyone else noticed that the wigs have less hair than in the past? I am talking about the top and the front.
  • Erzsike
    Thanks so much for the information!
  • dc21
    Yes, I have had inconsistencies too. Email JR so that they are aware of the style and color. They are supposed to be minimum what the listed weight states. Sometimes I think the blondes have less hair and wave which aggravates me, but sometimes I get one that is perfect.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    this on is more blonde - 12fs8 compared to shaded mocha. It was actually an improvement for me because usually i have to take a lot out of the top and front. But the difference was noticeable for that reason.

I ordered 2 styles is 12fs8 - both heat friendly - and there is a difference in color as well. Naomi much more blond in the mix - especially in the back. I had experienced this in shaded mocha as well - two styles and slightly different color.
  • Vee1028
    I have seen inconsistencies in wigs even when buying the same color and style. I've had to return 2 because of this.

Thanks for the information on the JR steamer. I may have to splurge and get that instead of the cheaper clothes steamer I had planned on buying.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    if you get the steamer - watch the sister w i g video. It was extremely helpful. For example - i did not know to watch out for the lace front and i did not know the steamer sets the curl by the time the hair cools - even if still wet.
  • Vee1028
    I definitely will watch the videos again before I try steaming one! I've watched them before but never watched closely. I for sure will practice on an older wig first, too!
  • buckeyegal1963
    Uh oh, I my comment got qued for moderaton....I've never seen the video you mentioned @Happy to ve Retired only the one P a t t i P e a r l has up. I have a cheap steamer I picked up at walmart, I just may have to invest in the JR steamer.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    i just spent 5 minutes training the front of an old wig - including bangs and moving the part. It is a heat friendly wig and i have previously tried heat brushes, curling irons, and rollers. I never got these kind of results. Used no product and the wig does not feel dry like it does after applying a curling iron. I am not great with hair so this has me excited. I never tried the cheap steamer but this can just hit a very small area. I am obviously very impressed so far.

This opens up possibilities with wigs i really couod not wear before.

Cheers, mj
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.