• Happy to ve Retired
    Obviously off topic - but i am just starting a weight loss “program” online that is somewhat like the old ww points plus program. I tried the freestyle and it was bad for me. I used the points plus before and was successful / but ww no longer does it.

I know several people here have had successful weight loss so i thought i could find out what worked.

I think all of us here try to be our best - so to me it is a related topic.

Curious to hear what worked and what did not.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    Thought i would make another try -

I just startef a ww program that is similar to ww plus. I decided i would look and FEEL a lot better and frankly like some wigs better if i were more fit. Walked this morning. I have knee issues and that is when i started to gain back weight.

I tend to check in to this forum frequently because of wigs - and i noticed many people mentioned weight loss and i am curious how you did it and how it is going.

We support each other with wig issues so i thought this might be a nice adjunct.

Obviously - not trying to sell anything. Also - many of us may have weight issues tied to the need for wigs. For me i think they are separate issues.

Thankd
  • animallover
    Years ago when I worked in an office they paid for ww. Just about everyone was joining so I did too, even though I was an OK weight. I actually really enjoyed it and I liked the points system. I ended up losing 10 lbs, 5 more than I should have.
    Fast forward to now.....I could lose that 10 lbs now, mostly in the belly, ever since my hyst. I just got my treadmill set up for the winter months but since I struggle with severe thyroid issues I hope I can find the energy to use. I like to walk and hike outdoors more than a treadmill. My energy level has been depleted for most of 2018 and I do like my chips! I had thought about doing the ww points on my own but, again, even that energy is not to be found. I have been underweight most of my life so the extra weight isn't too bad, just that it is all in the belly! The hardest to lose!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    i have always struggled but with my knee it has become more difficult. I was down with a bad sinus infection the last two weeks and decided i needed to get to it. I got the itrack app and upgraded so i can have access to information / this is just day 2. I lost weight on ww points plus s few years ago - i tried their new program and did not last a day - but this feels right. Perhaps i am just ready to take hold. Counting my steps also but starting slow.
  • Xelda
    I got a fitness tracker that keeps up with your steps each day. I'd check in the evening on how many steps I'd taken and some days were much higher than others. I could step in place and get it higher. It also celebrated when I got my step ladder out to reach something up high. I thought "if you only knew". It's good information and could be helpful with weight loss. Certain ones can also help inform you about your sleep patterns. Mine vibrates on my wrist if I've been sitting too long. It inspires me to take it off and tell it to mind it's own business.
  • Vee1028
    I've always managed to stay slim by eating basically low carb all the time and by working a very physical job. Almost 5 years ago I lost my daughter and then 1 year ago I lost my grandson, her only son.
    For a long time I stopped caring about my weight and just ate what made me feel better. That, combined with my retirement, led me to the point of needing to lose 50 pounds to get back to where I need to be.
    I started back on a stick low carb diet in July and in the past 4 months have lost 25 pounds. I don't feel hungry or deprived so it has always been the best way for me to eat. I did try a WW diet using a phone app a couple of years ago. I lost easy enough but just never did feel like I was satisfied after a meal. Cutting all the carbs from your diet takes away any cravings you normally have. Hopefully I will lose the remaining 25 pounds within the next 4 or 5 months.
    Have you ever tried low carb or keto?
  • Happy to ve Retired
    hi - first - i am so sorry to hear about your daughter and grandson. Very tragic.

I have tried low carb and it does not work for me. I feel sick when i do it and dont lose weight the way i am supposed to. It also makes me very cranky. I think the WW flex plan is based on that and i tried it a few months ago with zero success. I am now trying the older ww plan along with intermittant fasting. Just started so not sure how it will go. I am naturally chubby so it is always a fight with my body. I have gained weight since hubby retired - he can eat all day and not gain.

I did try the low carb a few times and it is certainly possible that i was doing it wrong. But i do love my carbs so psychologically it is tough.

Fingers crossed this program works.
  • Samantha
    Vee, I’m sorry to hear about your terrible losses, both your daughter and grandson. My heart aches for you.

There really is no way around being conscious of what you eat, coupled with some degree of movement, for keeping weight off. I’ve been a vegetarian for most of my life, vegan most of the time, and have a job which requires a ton of walking, so I manage to keep my weight down. I don’t know the difference between the various WW programs, but I feel their approach to “real life eating” is absolutely spot on. Best of luck to you, it’s an ongoing project, as you know. Hang in there!
  • Vee1028
    lol....I think I would probably pull mine off and LEAVE it off!1
  • Vee1028
    thank you so much for your condolences.

Maybe the worst part of starting a low carb diet is what most of us experience during the first week or so. Our bodies are adjusting from burning carbs for energy to using our own fat stores. This results in an extreme lack of energy about 4-7 days in. I've heard it referred to as the low carb flu but I've always called it the dropsy cause that's what I want to do....drop into the nearest chair! Thankfully, this doesn't last long, maybe 3-4 days. Get through that and you will eventually feel as though you have more energy than ever.
    I did try that WW flex plan for a short time but, like with the points plus plan, I still never felt satisfied. I think the only way for me to stop craving carbs is to give them ALL up totally!
    I hope you do well on your diet and continue to share here. I'm dying to be able to come back here soon and say that I have now lost 30 pounds! Unfortunately, I am stalling a bit at this time and it is slow going.
    Good luck to both of us!
  • Vee1028
    Thank you so much for your thoughts. I do appreciate them.

The job that I retired from 2 years ago involved a LOT of walking also. Leaving it made a big difference in my weight gain for sure1
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I use the apple watch but I do miss my fitbit. For one thing, this watch needs more tracking.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I hope we both check back and tell about our successes. Just different approaches to the same end.

I just finished day 3 and I feel great. The intermittent fasting really helps me. I noticed it last time I went through this. Basically - I will not eat or drink ANYTHING (except water) for a 12 hour period starting at 8 PM at night. If my day is such that I can wait until 10 AM to eat - that is what I do. It really reduces cravings and also makes your body metabolize your fat. My body feels somewhat renewed by 10 AM. It definitely has worked for me before and it is working for me now. It is actually the only way I could get my body to shed weight.

Very early on so fingers crossed.
  • Vee1028
    I've also used intermittent fasting, usually 16 hours, but am not sure whether it has helped or not. Right now I'm so bothered by this temporary stall that I'm ready to try a 24 hour fast!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    i am convinced it helps me. I think to let uour stomach really empty out is a good thing. I remember food combining - which i also think works great but is too complicated for me to do - but on that time of eating certain foods is a big part of the program.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    i saw alex posted yesterday - it had been a while.
  • Vee1028
    yes, I saw. I wrote a long letter to Megan the other day telling her that unless they gave us some kind of support here that I just couldn't see many of us staying around much longer. She wrote back promising more of a presence here and a new moderator. We'll see.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    have not noticed any more posts. Fingers crossed. It is sure slowing down.

Well - this is day 6 of bites plus and yesterday was tough. But i do feel better today. Going to wait a couple of weeks before weighing but i do feel better. Putting every bite into the app.

Heading out of town for a week so this will be a test - but i think it is doable. Hope all is going well with you.
  • Vee1028
    uggh....trying to stay on a diet while on vacation is tough! Stay strong!
    Today us my birthday and I have a brunch to go to plus dinner out tonight. I'm doomed....pretty sure this will NOT be the week I break through this plateau.
    Have fun on your trip.
  • Vee1028
    Thanks so much!
    I'll have to look up bites plus later. Not sure I've heard of that version.
  • KB7707
    Happy Birthday!!!
  • animallover
    Happy Birthday......enjoy your dinner!! :party:
  • animallover
    We are headed to Phoenix tomorrow with a load of office equipment so 2 or more weeks of "truck eating". We try to eat healthy, salads, good protein, homemade food from home but some days are much harder than others! Good luck eating on vacation.
  • Vee1028
    thank you so much! Just returned from brunch and shopping with my daughter and dressing now for dinner with her and her husband and my Jeff. It's been a wonderful day!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    safe travels. I just am eating bad foods but within my point value range. Not the best but this is real life;)
  • Happy to ve Retired
    how was your birthday? Hope it was great fun.

Just an fyi - i am using itrackbites (not sure of spelling) because it lets you mimic the old ww programs. Freestyle is high protein sort of like keto i think - so that is all ww offering now. Works for some but i have previously been successful (and happier) with points plus which allows some carbs. Even sinful carbs - just limited points. Fir me - filling up on proteins just does not feel good. I did atkins back in college and i was miserable -and gained weight back just by walking past bread - at least that is my story and i am sticking to it.

Anyways - lots of people unhappy with freestyle are using this other app because it lets you do tye old program,

Almost done with week one. Not going to weigh for a couple of weeks so time will tell. I do feel better.

Heading to the hotel pool to get some exercise.

Cheers
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.