• Cathe Lartigue
    I'm so in love with this color that I want more gray hair!
  • Deborah
    You look fabulous....that's the look now .... Even my 17yo wants grey hair.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    cathe - looks great on you. I will tell you my husband does not gray or silver - sounds like yours would agree.

Let ne first say i have yet to see you in a wig tyat did not look great. Those same wigs do not necessarily look great on me.

Sorry but i think gray does “age” older people, and draws attention for younger folks - almost like purple hair. That said - your particular color and style makes you look very cool.

I will say your other colors make you look younger imho.

The question is why we are all so afraid of looking older in the first place.

I think with gray you need a young style to offset - and you have done that here. But we all associate gray with aging.

My husband thinks shaded bisquit is too silvery. So i have given in - temporarily - and wearing shaddd praline which is similar but different. After all - he has to look at it and i realky dont.
  • Erobinky
    You are gorgeous! Great to get a look this
    Hair up close! Makes me want gray! Thank you!
  • PennyC
    Cathe, this is gawgeous! I feel that as a Long islander, I can say that LOL! You're lucky to have such nice coloring that so much looks so good on you!
    I don't have the nerve to go gray quite yet. It's a big leap from midnight brown, but I'm slowly going lighter with my wigs. I plan to get to medium brown this year.
  • Klavisha
    I like greys on older women. Many women I know are not covering their grey, and wearing their hair long. I'm in my late 60's myself and prefer wig colors that look natural for my age. My own fine, thin - and getting thinner as I age - hair is medium brown with grey strands, especially at the hairline and temple areas. I look for transitional grey colors like JR's color #38, a medium brown with 35% grey evenly mixed throughout, which is a close match to my own hair. I hope that wig manufacturers will offer various greys in a wider variety of styles. For example, I like Ellen Wille wigs but their color range, especially in greys, is very limited; their men's wig line offers some nice transitional greys that I would love to see in their women's wigs.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    I'm with you on wishing that wig manufacturers would offer more in the grays. It's funny because I never thought I would embrace the gray but after wearing that one Jamison, I've ordered another gray wig. Long and gray look lovely on the mature women and I think wig manufacturers need to be aware that women who are of the mature demographic no longer want those "granny" looking wigs. We want stylish and modern and longer wigs in more grays!!!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    LOL. I have noticed that the younger crowd is enthralled with the gray hair! I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one!!!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Thank you! LOL--My husband cannot stand me in the gray but he knows I'm going to do what I want anyway.
    You bring up a good point. I don't think it's that we don't want to look OLDER, personally, I just want to look my age--only the best version of my age and that's where the issue lies.
    I also blame the beauty industry big time because they are always using the vulgar term "Anti-aging" as if aging is a bad thing--fact is, the moment you leave the womb you age. It should be called "pro-aging" and then maybe the tide will change!!!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    LOL Penny--of course it's ok! I love the LI Accent!!!!! XOXOXOX
  • Happy to ve Retired
    It's not like anyone would look at me with a shaded praline wig and say - gee - she must be "young" to wear have that color hair - or that anyone would think that at my age that might be a natural color on me. However, it has LONG been accepted for women to color their hair - so that part is not an issue. Now, your gray wig looks stylish and kept up, etc. The style says - I am not "OLD" in the sense of "giving up and waiting for the big event", but instead says I may be gray but I am cool and have a "current" style. It is more about mindset and less about actual color.

I actually think (partly because of skin color and skin shape) that I look better in a color that "has more depth and color - as in not so gray. But, that is me.

As I said - I have yet to see a color or a style that does not look great on you. I am sure your hubby feels the same way.
  • animallover
    This really looks great on you, as do all the wig pics you post! I like the color and style. I do wonder about the roots though.........when hair turns gray it is gray at the roots, not dark roots and than the rest of the hair gray. It kind of looks to me like someone had dark hair to start and dyed their hair gray and as their hair grew the gray started to grow out. That being said, I think it looks beautiful on you. My husband actually loved my bio hair when I let it go gray a few years ago, when I had thicker and more hair! I do see myself in a youthful gray wig someday......when my husband goes all gray. He has no gray hair at all..
    I ordered Brady by Noriko in Bubblegum-R because I thought I would like the color, it looked great on Taz. When I received it I loved the youthful style but the color made me "feel" older....I know it is all in my head but when I let my hair go gray or try a gray wig I just feel so much older. It is in my head and it is something I have to work on in order to grow older gracefully...........hard to do with the skin changes that come with aging!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I know people who have gone completely gray and when I hear their age, I always have thought that they were older than what they actually were. On the flip side, a fellow bridge player just turned 80 and you could have pushed me over with a feather when I heard that. She wears more of a platinum blond and her face always has color.

Shaded bisquit has that same dark root with a very silvery blond - and in some light the dark roots looked dominant and in other light, they just gave a shadow. Light make such a difference on wigs. I also feel like I look more tired in a gray wig. But, Cathe does not - she just looks great. But I personally prefer her in some other colors.

Also - and this is tacky - but I remember saying at some point you choose between your body and your face, and my friend has chosen the face. I can say this because I have unwittingly done the same:)
  • JanetG
    Cathe I love this wig and I particularly love the color cause it is my natural color. I have so many friends that say their coloring does not look good with gray hair. However, they have never not colored their hair (lol). I always respond with mother nature does not make mistakes. If it is your natural color it will look good. But unless you try..... I have hair loss in the front fairly significantly, so I wear a JR Essentially You topper that is as close as I have found in my natural color, but it is just a smidge off. Bothers me a lot. No one else notices. But this wig.......I want. But I can not find it in the line-up for Jamison. Do I assume you received it from another site? And by the way, embrace the gray! or chrome as it were:)
  • linda
    I agree with ya'all. I try not to stereotype. I believe that "agism" is the last Bastian of all "isms." Maintaining ones looks is just another part of being and staying healthy.
    I am 72 years old and I still like fashion, makeup and WIGS. So I say go for it and enjoy.
    L
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I have also heard that mother nature does not make mistakes. I beg to differ. My hair has always been a problem. Way too stringy and way too thin. No volume and no body. The "grey" I have now on my bio hair is much like the roots of the wig that Cathe is wearing. I will never have a nice silvery gray because people with the color I have it tends to stay that way. And, it is not a pretty color. Even if I had a full head of hair - I would not keep it that color. To me, my natural color is but one of mother nature's failures ir perhaps she was playing a joke:)

That said, I have wigs now and they look 1000000 x better than my hair ever did. And I can be ready to go out in less than 15 minutes:)
  • JanetG
    I am glad you have found a happy place. It sounds like you have been disappointed. I am all for enhancing one's looks. My point is my friends telling me they can't wear gray hair yet have never tried. I tried. I like it. And I would love to know where to find that wig Cathe has on.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    not sure what you mean, actually. Everyone i have ever met has had disappointments and overall i think i am pretty happy and lucky.

If you cannot find that color using google - try sending Cathe a PM. She will not mention a competing company on this forum.
  • marieni84
    I think this is a beautiful color on you. I am 57 and what I don't care for is the in-between yellowish, gray color that hair sometimes goes through to get to the beautiful gray. At some point, I think I will transition to gray, though, because I think it is more natural looking. In my opinion, dark, dyed hair looks unnatural on someone 80 years old. And, my husband already has teased me that people think I'm a lot younger than him, because my hair looks so good, so I may switch out to gray some day so they won't think he's robbing the cradle!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    It's a new shade. If you google Jamison in new colors I think youll find it!!
  • Vee1028
    you can find this wig at wigs dot com. The name of the wig is Jamison by Estetica. I don't see this beautiful color there but just Google the name of the wig and you should be able to find it online someplace. I agree, this looks beautiful on #Cathe Lartigue
  • Vee1028
    I really love this beautiful new color on you! Do you mind my sharing this video in another closed group I am in? Someone there was worried about gray making her look older.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Vee what's the group. You can copy the video and post. I'm all about that. I hope your friend doesn't think gray makes her feel older!!
  • Vee1028
    Thanks! It is a FB group called The Wig Hub. I posted it in reply to a woman asking if her new gray wig made her look old. She actually looked much better in that wig than the one she posted as a comparison.
  • JanetG
    Thank you ladies. I have found the wig. But am still trying to nail the color down. But I have not had a lot of time this week. Well make time for that today.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I just had a good laugh looking at some videos online. I had to check out facelift patches after seeing a spectacular video on an older woman applying makeup (and I believe she also used these). She looked so very much better in her after pic - and I am a bit down about my aging skin - whenever I think about it which frankly is not that often. I should mention the tie in - her wig was grey. I think she was at least a bit older than 70 based on the before pic. Now in the after pic - I would guess early 60's because her skin looked so good and frankly the wig looked great. She looked like an older model.

So - looked at amazon and there were lots of choices. Then I went to look at youtube videos. I would have no trouble covering up the bands as I wear wigs:)

So - here is the funny part. The people doing the videos were in their late 20s, early 30s, and the oldest I found was around 40. Seriously?????

IMHO - all of us are trying to look better which - for better or worse - in our society we associate with looking younger. I think grey wigs call attention to skin - and if you have great skin - they can look great. just my opinion.

Cathe - you do have great skin and everything looks great on you. But in our brains which have been conditioned to see old people in grey - it is likely to call attention to age whether we like it or not. Then you might think - wow looks great for his/her age - or wow they are fit - or wow he/she is young to be grey - or what a cool color - but my point is that we will think about it. With other colors - they are less noticeable during that "transition age period".

Now - when you get to be much older - a dark color calls attention. Blondish tends to blend regardless of age.

It is just personal preference as to what color to wear - and that includes grey. But, the very fact that we are discussing the grey along with age says that grey triggers the conversation.

Again - just my humble opinion.
  • PennyC
    Well, you're definitely right about darker colors! I've been a midnight brown-ie my whole life. When i started wearing helper hair I went for that color. But I realized rather quickly that a lighter shade would look better (softer), and now I'm into the medium browns. Don't think I could ever go lighter than that until I try gray, but you never know.
    I do have to laugh when I remember the time I saw some early photos of my grandmother. I had always known her as a blonde and I was astonished to learn that she was a natural brunette!
  • Vee1028
    I had an awful hard time settling on an Estetica color myself, made even more difficult by the fact that they have 3 colors all with the same number code. Only the letters are different. I finally settled on their caramel kiss rooted which is a beautiful, rich, brunette shade that #cathe wears often. She is very familiar with Estetica products and could probably help you with color choice. Go watch some videos, too!
  • alicexm
    Icathe, I felt the same “aha” when I put on Elle by JR in Oyster. I had been toying with blondes in highlights and frosts, but Oyster was my color. Looking at various sites, I see Jamison in “Chrome” and “ChromeRT1B”. Is there a difference?
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Chrome RT1B is a rooted color--giving it more depth!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    You know what? You're correct about the blonde color! I happen to be a blonding fan but the hubs is not--but then again, I don't care. I've been veering toward lighter shades as I've been pro-aging!! And although my original hair color is black--it just looks harsh now!!!
  • linda
    Hi everybody! i just wanted to say that because of this blog Ive started wearing a full wig. And now I am really stepping out of my comfort zone and going lighter. While I was a hairdresser I had every conceivable color. Pink, blue, Pink and blue, red and blondes of several shades. Then I went back to dark. Ive become way too conservative in my hair color. My natural color is very dark brown, and still is dark brown. But I wear a topper that is coffee latte and it blends in with my bio. Actually it can look like a rooted color, especially when I pull it up. However, I am now getting the courage to go lighter. And ya know how that goes, lighter an lighter:)
    All of this way too much fun.
    Thanks for all of your great suggestions.
    Linda
  • Gracie Mas WIGS.COM TEAM
    Glad to hear that the forum has helped you to gain courage to explore new colors! Now the fun really begins!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.