• Happy to ve Retired
    I just washed 2 of my heat defiant wigs. I soaked them in fabric softener (unscented) for about 15 minutes after the washed - gently rinsed - towel dried and put them outside to dry. They feel like new. So, I am wondering if I should be washing them more often - just the way I would wash my own hair frequently. I don't use much in the way of product on the wigs - but, the HD wigs tend to become more stiff between washings. I am sure that washing too frequently cuts the life of the wig - but curious as to what you do??
  • animallover
    I am probably in the minority but I wash my wigs about every 3 to 4 weeks. I want them to last. I do spray Simply Styling on them every 2 or 3 wears. My HD wigs do start to get stiff feeling at about the 3 1/2 weeks mark but not too bad. I probably have even gone longer between washings. I agree, the HD wigs sure do feel so soft and new after a washing. I can't believe how long they are holding up. No frizz at all. I love them.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    I'm even in more of the minority. I hardly ever wash my wigs. If I wash them every three months--that's a lot! But--I also have quite a large selection and I rotate my wigs.
    One thing I did learn, though, was to NOT soak wigs in fabric conditioner for longer than five minutes. I washed one of my Estetica Wren wigs and forgot that it was soaking in fabric conditioner . I was cooking, baking, procrastinating and a couple of hours later I realized my wig was in the upstairs bathroom sink. It dried horribly. The cap became stretched out and it was a mess. So I decided to re-wash it without any conditioner and it was just so awful I had to throw it out. It pained me but I learned a valuable lesson!
  • dc21
    I am surprised. I have walked off and went to bed leaving mine soaking and never ruined them.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    i am also surprised. I let mine soak in fabric softener for at least 20 minutes - then a quick rinse and dry outside on a stand. Mono top and lace front wigs fir tye most part.
  • btrflygal7
    I was told after 2 weeks of wearing you should wash them but I think it depends on different factors, if use alot of product, the season and personal preference. For my job I alternate between 2 different wigs each week, I feel I'm exposed to a lot dirt and dust and other things that I want to wash my wigs after a couple of weeks. I wear synthetic so not sure if it's different with human hair.
  • mcvoice
    gosh that’s too bad. Are you sure the water was cold and not warm or hot? I leave my wigs soak all day in a basin of cold water and a cap full of unscented fabric softener and dry overnight. Locke, soft the next day.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Yeah. I don't know what happened but I was so incredibly upset because I loved that wig. You live--you learn!!!!
  • A7X
    I have two synthetic wigs that I rotate, generally I wash them whenever the hair starts to feel weird and gets hard to comb. I use dry shampoo on them to cut the shine and also use simply styling on the longer bits to keep them supple. This ends up being washing every 2-3 weeks or so. I use the fabric softener/shampoo/cold water combo and they end up coming out great.

Here's another question - how do you know when you need a new wig? This is just me - but if my wigs are a little frizzy and flyaway I'm fine with it, it kind of makes them look less perfect and more real to me.
  • Jnc
    I was told once a month. I have 2 wigs, so I do go a little longer. I need a new wig, but one of my wigs is 2 years old and still wearable. My others are 1 1/2 years and 1 year old. Mine aren't HD as far as I know.
  • Gingersnap
    My short RW wig has developed frizzy bangs and I want to try using the fabric softener solution but I have a question: one cap of softener to a bathroom size sink? Cold water or warm? How long to leave the wig soaking? Should it be rinsed after soaking or just left to dry?
  • PennyC
    COLD WATER only! I've seen it advised not to go over twenty minutes. Full sink to a capful or less.. And do rinse in clean water afterward.
    I also use a very diluted mix of so9ftener with water in a spray bottle for daily smoothing.
    I strongly recommend the use of a hot air brush for frizzies, though. I have the good ol' Helen of Troy. It's just warm enough to work on non-heat-friendly wigs.
  • alicexm
    Steamer will tame frizziest too, but will straighten.
  • Lori
    I have an HD wig and wash it once a week. Soak in shampoo water solution. Then 20 minutes in fabric softener water solution. Then rinse and hang upside down on a hanger. I also use a wig steamer on it. Mine usually last a year. By then it’s just time for a change especially since I wear really long ones. I gotta look for that simply stylin stuff. So many people have mentioned it. I have some Jon Renau leave in conditioner that I use on it once a week to freshen it up as well.
  • Jayne
    I did the fabric softener/un-rinsed but it gave me a horrible headache. I now use regular hair conditioner with great results.
  • WinifredDubre
    If it is a human hair wig then you can use any normal shampoo but for synthetic ones, it is better to use Revlon or DeMert Shampoo for wigs.
  • Gingersnap
    Thanks for the fabric softener info. Think I figured out why the bangs on my RW wig frizzed - opening up the oven door and feeling a blast of hot air! Another issue I have is fading - I wear RW Winner in Honey Pecan and most of the brown color fades within a couple of months - when I get a new wig the fading is very obvious. I wonder what others have experienced. I use shampoo and conditioner for wigs so why do they fade so quickly - about 4 to 5 months.
  • MarburgGirl
    I've been wearing "Open" by EW for the last 8 months. I have 2, the same color. They are still amazing and I think that's because I don't wash them too often. I have other wigs that I use for weekends. I agree with Cathe Lartigue, less washing is best.
  • Nikilet
    I've been hearing about soaking wigs in fabric softener and I just can't imagine. How much fabric softener do you use, is there a "best" brand, is this done after you have washed the wig, do you rinse the fabric softener out?
  • PennyC
    I use less than a capful to a basin of water. Mine is Downy, but you could use any that has a fragrance you like.. Don't go over twenty minutes (I have read), and yes! Definitely rinse out.
    I use an even more diluted solution as my spray-on detangler before combing.
  • dc21
    I use unscented fabric softener. I have left them soaking for hours and even overnight, by accident, and it didn't harm the synthetic hair. I rinse after I wash the hair, but I do not rinse after the fabric softener soak.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.