• linda
    There is a lot of discussion and opinion about the best way to care for a wig. And Ive learned a lot from you all.
    However, how long after the new wig arrives and you decide to keep it do you wash.?
    Ive had one experience where I thought the new wig color and fiber looked drab and just dingy. So I washed it and, wow, what a difference. I think that while in storage and/or transportation they collect a lot of dust and dirt. Any advice is appreciated.
    Linda
  • dc21
    I will never wear new hair out of the box. It has to be washed first, even if it doesn't require any customizing. I wear styles like JR Rachel, JR Heidi, etc. Washing them always cuts the shine in the blondes I wear and relaxes the waves so they aren't wiggy. They look more natural after their first wash imo. After that, I wash them every 6-8 wears. I store them in their original boxes after wearing so they don't collect dust. When I travel, I store them in gallon Ziploc bags (they each get their own bag). Some people hardly comb or wash their synthetic hair, but I feel synthetic hair looks wiggy when it starts to clump and not move. They are expensive, so people have expectations of the plastic hair lasting months and months. They are disappointed when they don't last, even with "proper care". I dislike that phrase personally. Through trial and error, we all develop our own maintenance system for wig care.
  • jenofthesea
    I've heard to wash them about every 10 wears.
  • Sponsored Ad
  • gr8hnd
    I agree with the others who answered: I do not like the “straight out of the box” look where you shake and are supposedly good to go. I wash mine and work on new wigs to get them the most natural-looking possible prior to wearing outside of my house. I agree about helping to decrease blonde shine by washing prior to first wearing also. I wash my wigs about every 6-8 wears. I have never achieved anything positive with my wigs by going long periods without washing as some do. I am very careful washing mine. Based on information from long-term wig aficionados on YouTube, I now use Woolite with the pink top rather than wig shampoo; I use fabric softener rather than wig conditioner. My favorite wig is RW “Upstage.” I wear it literally daily and still have my original one. I have a second one ready, but after many months of daily wear (much longer than standard 3-4 months expected), I only have a few flyaways at the forehead indicating wear.
  • Jnc
    I wash mine once a month unless I go somewhere smokey. I do have 2 that I alternate. I have one more that is 2 1/2 years old and I use it for mornings and when I work in the yard. The hair is still great - the cap not so much. :)
  • linda
    Thank you all for your input. I sincerely appreciate it.
    Very interesting about the Woolite to wash rather than shampoo. Often I wonder about the use of the hair spray for synthetic wigs. That it may cause wigs to age quicker. It does not brush or comb out very easy as depicted on some videos.. And it seems to leave a fuzziness where I spray it.
    Again, thanks so much.
    Linda
  • DLS
    I don't usually wash my Noriko Sky when it's new. I would try brushing it first if it was too puffy; if that didn't help, I would wash it.
    I alternate between 3 wigs and wash every 4-6 weeks. Good luck!
  • jenofthesea
    Do you rinse out the fabric softener? I'm not clear on that point.
  • jenofthesea
    I just washed a new wig I bought in a wig shop, and it looks so much better! More natural looking and clean.
  • Sponsored Ad
  • linda
    I know it certainly does.
    Thank you for following up.
    Linda
  • linda
    BYW, regarding rinsing the fabric softener out of the wig. Ive read that some do and some don't. I do a quick rinse after using the fabric softener. On Heather's video she doesn't.
    I am interested in hearing from gr8hnd formula for the Woolite wash and softener rinse.
    Thanks.
    Linda
  • goldcapp
    When I bought my first wig, I was told to wash it after wearing it about 10 times. Now that I have several wigs, I sometimes lose track, but you will know when the wig needs attention. It also depends whether you use a lot of product. I generally do not. Therefore, the wigs seem to hold up better.
  • linda
    Thanks again for all of your comments.
    I use as little product as possible. A little spray in front and Im good to go.
    Linda
  • Jayne
    I agree with dc21 about "proper care." IMHO, I think it's personal preferences and circumstances. No wig cap? Hard or well water? No products used or LOTS? Oily scalp? Summer? I wash mine immediately after I get it & add 1-2 Tablespoons of Clorox in the sinkwater to kill any bacteria or viruses. My wigs last a year or more with lots of wear. I also use quality regular hair products instead of wig products....and I backcomb nearly every wig! LOL. :roll:
  • linda
    Yep, I agree. Not so sure about the clorox, but Im glad to hear your wigs last more than 3-4 months.
    L
  • linda
    What is a "toupee wig"? Your comment regarding fiber and how to care for a synthetic wig doesn't make any sense at all. Actually it's rather misleading.
    Linda
  • PennyC
    That is a troll, I believe. Do not feed.
  • linda
    Thanks for the insight:)
  • JudiMD
    If it looks dirty (and I think that depends on how much product you use) I wash it. If it still looks good and styles nicely, I wait. No set time table for me.
  • alicexm
    I believe some people refer to toppers as “toupee” wigs. Mostly
  • polkadot222
    With a new wig, if it's shiny I spray with dry shampoo. After that I wait about a month before washing for the first time. I use fabric softener in the water, about 1 tablespoon to a sinkful of water. I soak for 15 minutes and don't rinse. I place it on a towel, fold over the towel and press down to remove as much water as possible. Then I hang it on a wig stand to dry. I've been doing this for years and years and it works for me. The key is not to use a whole lot of fabric softener. I also spray the ends with detangler after every third wear.
  • kaileeren
    What am I doing wrong!!!!???? Most of you are so pleased with your wigs. I can’t seem to get a good month out of my wigs. And I’ve got the best. Jon Renau and Rachel Welch. my latest, upstage by rw, literally started frizzing the first day I wore it! By day three I steamed it. It looked good for 1/2 day. By the time I got home it was mangled mess. The same thing happened with all 3 of my on points by rc. Same with Jon renau. I try hard to take good care but I’ve never had a wig last more than a month - and that’s NOT EVERYDAY wear. Any advice is appreciated.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.