• Keeping the morale up
    Like many of us, I recently lost my waist length hair at the age of 50, to chemo. It was ultra thick, wavy and sometimes a little frizzy. I loved it. I never was into styling or any thing except sometimes if it got wet, it would bring out the natural curl.

My new RW Longing for Long wig arrived and has some nice qualities I'm learning to tweak. But the main thing I'm at a little loss with is the extreme flat, straight texture. I've noticed many folks on the forum trying to eliminate frizz. It's not that I want frizz exactly but that slightly wild, natural texture that makes hair look & feel alive.

According to what I've learned here, I did wet it down & wash it a couple times to help diffuse some of the xtra shine. I trimmed the front lace to my hairline + plucked & widened the part.
    I also did have my hairdresser alter it a little. All these things have been helpful.

Ok maybe silly to want it to look alive since it's not ...but if anyone has had success experimenting with this please share.

I've started adding wave with those crimping rollers that look like straws + adding enough gel so it will hold. On the learning curve ... Not quite there yet.

All feedback welcome
  • Jayne
    sounds like you've done everything right! To keep it curly, you can steam the curls, then "finger comb" to separate the curls to make them less perfect. A wig that sounds like you'd really enjoy is Hudson by Rene of Paris. It isn't waist length, but is long, thick, bouncy and curls to dream about! Lets Talk With Kim has a great YouTube review on this wig! Let us know what you do!
  • Keeping the morale up
    Thank you so much! I'll check these suggestions out. I'm not yet familiar with steaming but look forward to learning!
  • goldcapp
    I am looking for effective "scrunching" products for my synthetic wigs. Does anyone know good ones? Can I use regular hair products on synthetic wigs, like Fructis and others???? That's my question of the day. If anyone has any input, please let me know, okay?
  • PennyC
    Some people do use regular hair products on synthetic wigs, but these wigs aren't made of hair! They're more like synthetic fabric...that's why using diluted fabric softener makes sense on them. I'd stick to specially-designed-for-synthetic-wigs stuff to be on the safe side. You can use water, set in curlers, and let it dry. Or set in curlers and use steam to lock in a new style.
  • Jayne
    I am one who uses regular hair products on my wigs due to allergies. PennyC is right. Synthetic wigs are a plastic/polyester. I personally haven't had any problems with my synthetic wigs using regular shampoos, sprays, hair wax...even used Dawn detergent to deep clean product out of one of my wigs. Just soaked it for 5 mins in cool soapy water, rinsed well without roughing up the fibers. Looked great!
  • goldcapp
    Thank you, ladies! I appreciate your input. I will be careful!
  • Keeping the morale up
    I'm wondering about blow drying. I certainly heeded the warning about heat melting synthetic wigs & so have stayed away from blow drying. I just saw a tutorial on blow drying with roll brushes in order to achieve a soft natural texture & body. It was impressive! The stylist warned that the blow dryer was Very hot and to be careful. Are there any more specifics out there? I was thinking a cold air or tepid temp might be ok but just haven't been ready to risk it yet on my RW longing for long..

Today I pulled the long crimp rollers out of the wig then dampened my hands and carefully scrunched the curls with diluted Got2b Glued hair gel/ glue. I've never used product in my life before so it's a learning curve. This product is a must have though because it can also act as glue to hold the wig in place. Anyway, I tried to use just enough but not too much & the curl/ waves did stay all day. It was a little stiffer than I'd eventually like but beat overly straight hair.. so I was pleased. I didn't use a pick or a wide comb, only gentle scrunching and loosening of curl. Tomorrow ill try the pick.

If I can post the photo I will. You'll see it's not "perfect" 9dj8fktwz7izdgau.jpg
    but for me is a huge improvement so I'm happy with this small step. Hope this is helpful!!
  • PennyC
    It looks pretty good! Just a matter of trial and error getting both sides to match. I might try the got2b for this myself!
  • Nikilet
    The color is beautiful and looks so good on you.
  • Jayne
    looks great! Got2BGlued is good example of a product not specifically made for synthetic wigs, but it works for a lot of people! You're way ahead of the learning curve! :up:
  • Keeping the morale up
    thanks so much for the feedback!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.