• Divya J
    Hi, I live in India. I've had androgenic alopecia for over 20 years and the hair loss has been gradual. In the last couple of years, I lost quite a lot, to a point where my scalp is visible now. I've just started considering wigs after realizing I have been living in denial all these past few years. I never considered wigs as an option, but if it is something that would help me walk into a brightly lit shop with my head held high, then, yes, I'll go for it.
    The problem I'm facing is that my head's circumference is 23 inches, which falls under the large category. However, I like several styles that are available to people who fall under the average category. My question is, since most of these wigs seem to have quite a bit of stretch in them, would I be able to fit into an average? Has anyone tried it? I wish I could just walk into a store and try, but there aren't many wig stores or salons where I live.

Thank you,
    Divya
  • polkadot222
    I don't have a large head like you however I have been wearing wigs full time for 21 years and have read hundreds, if not more, of reviews and look at videos on YouTube. If a wig has stretch and it is at least an average size then it will likely work for you. I would stay away from Noriko, Rene of Paris and Ellen Wille wigs as they run small. However, you could always call wigs.com to ask their opinion on a specific wig before you buy. Also, for a specifc wig you are looking for, read all the reviews on the site to see if anyone else mentions size and stretch.
  • Divya J
    Thank you for those pointers :)
  • Jayne
    my head is 22 inches and i have thinning baby fine hair. Most brands of wigs feel tight on me, so I just bought a wig (Noriko-good $) and use it like a topper. In other words, I let my natural, biological side and back hair show...and if the wig is not a lace front, even my front hair can have bangs or combed/blended over the wig front...just a small amount is needed. 1. Buy a wig that matches closely. 2. It is EXTREMELY comfortable 2. much cooler 3. and if the wind blows your hair will show instead of the edge of a wig! Godiva wigs has a YouTube video showing how to make a topper from a wig! I use a wig grip band on the crown if my head & secure it with soft pressure clips-NOT the wig or extention clips that even Godiva uses! They're available from Walmart & Amazon.... Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide! ❤
  • Divya J
    Thank you :) I've, for now, ordered a topper from wigs.com but I've also been eyeing a few pixie style wigs (particularly, the Raquel Welch Winner, which is available in my size, and Evan by Jon Renau, which isn't available in my size). I've also seen Godiva videos and wigs, they are quite prompt in responding to queries. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my topper :) And, yes, when I do decide on a wig, will update :)
  • Jayne
    I truly think you will enjoy the freedom of a topper! Rachel Welch's Editors Pick was roomy to me, but fit is always a bit of a gamble because the next 3 wigs from her company were tight. Go figure?
  • PennyC
    From my own experience, Estetica and Tony of Beverly are the roomiest regular sizes.
    However, it's also easy to enlarge a wig by cutting the back elastic and sewing some in from the adjuster straps.
  • Divya J
    Thank you for that tip, Penny. So, for a wig to fit, is the circumference the only measurement that really counts?
  • Divya J
    iqxbmolwl5iolbxr.jpg
    My topper finally arrived...I got Top Tier by Gabor (Mono crown)...bought it during the Labor day sale...I ended up paying 4 times the price of the topper to cover shipping and local customs :/ but well, it's finally here...I loved the coverage it provides and I've always wanted bangs...I have naturally black hair and my only gripe with the topper is that (although I chose the darkest color) it is lighter than my hair color...but I'll figure it out...I pinned it up on the side since it is slightly longer than my natural hair...attached is a picture :) I'm happy...next step is full wigs...what do you think? Would you know how to dye a synthetic wig? I've been looking through YouTube for a tutorial...Either I dye the wig black...or dye my hair dark brown...
  • linda
    Can we see a photo of the back and sides, please? I wear toppers also and my topper color is two to three shades lighter, with highlights than my natural color. When I put it on it just blends and looks very natural even when I pull it up. Yes you can see the dark roots, but it's like a rooted color.
    It takes some playing with it to find what works for you, but you'll do it.
    I know nothing at all about dying synthetic wigs, but, Im sure, someone at wigs.com can give you an expert opinion.
    BTW, you are beautiful.
    Linda
  • Jayne
    looks awesome! Doesn't your natural hair lighten a bit from the sun? You can darken the hair with black Sharpies or Magic Marker (any permanent marker) by just "combing" through the fibers with the marker. Your intention is to streak the black color in. Test it underneath first. *The Corner of Hope & Mane* was where I learned to darken roots, but now I customize all my blondes with brown & black to give depth & better blend with my dark bio hair.
  • Holly
    Hello all,
    I just received my first wig, 'Watch Me Wow'!! I suffer from tricotillomania and I'm finally ready to have a beautiful head of hair!! I ordered a wig a few years ago, but it was not close to my natural hair color and I just didn't feel great in it. THIS wig makes me smile!! I just love it! The color (Cocoa SS9-30) is so natural and very close to my own color. It's so nice to have a head full of hair! I'm going to take it to my hair stylist and have her trim the back a bit. I've been struggling with hair pulling since I was a little girl. I am now 55 years old. This is the first of many future purchases. I know I need to buy another one of these for a back up!! Wigs are great and I'm jumping in with both feet!! Thank you, Wigs.com.
    Sincerely,
    Holly
  • Jayne
    you sound excited and happy! Good! Wigs and toppers are such a blessing! Glad for you!
  • Sari S
    A Vishu Channel, Sept 18. 2018 covered wigs and toppers in India.
  • Divya J
    Thank you, Linda :) That indeed made me smile. :) I'm planning on taking my topper out this weekend (haven't stepped out yet wearing it)...will upload pictures then...I asked wigs.com regarding coloring synthetic hair. Although they did provide useful links, they say it is best not to color synthetic hair as it could ruin the wig. But I bought a couple of black markers yesterday. Am going to just test a bit of the hair and see if it works. Fingers crossed. :)
  • Divya J
    Thank you, Sari. I'll check it out.
  • Sari S

Hi Divya Beti, as an American woman of Indian descent I understand the hair color issues. My hair is dark brown while my daughter's hair is jet black although her skin is several shades lighter. My first venture in faux hair was human hair topper from Uniwigs. But I kept losing more hair so ventured into synthetic wigs. My head is smaller 21.5 in so for me Noriko and Ellen Wille fit best. I have Envy (Delaney, Eve) and Esthetica (Hunter and Violet) that are little large on me but I make them work!. They have stretch caps They should fit larger heads well. I saw a few You Tube videos of wig studios in India. I"m don't know India well (been to north India only twice) but larger cities may have wig stores. I'll try to find the video of the wig store I saw and let you know.
    Good luck with your search.
  • Divya J
    Hi ladies...so, I tried coloring the topper through several methods...well, 3 methods...but didn't work...I decided to color my hair dark brown instead. Then I plucked out some hair from the parting of the topper to make it look more "natural," I then wore it and trimmed it a bit to suit the length of my natural hair...then used a foundation powder to darken the parting. I wore the topper today...and it felt amazing...looked really good...I love it. Here are some pictures.b9ojwhws0jh5khjr.jpg
    yepyvjii1kp2g2mb.jpg
    eeaire2egc7d2lz4.jpg
    zg0pzgwf6mqyq9el.jpg
    44d55z6mp6c86f7q.jpg
  • linda
    Thanks for sharing. It and you look great. Very natural. Is this the "top tier."
    Linda
  • Divya J
    Yes, Linda. That's the top tier. I absolutely love it...it felt good walking out and not feeling conscious. I'm yet to wear it among people who have known me for a while and seen my hair loss.
  • linda
    I like the top tier and have wanted to buy it but I don't think it would give me enough coverage in the crown area.
    It took me a good six months before I ventured into the family with my hair:) Im not sure what that is about. Guess I thought it looked good and I didn't want to hear or deal with any negative feedback. Which didn't happen.I just got rave reviews and lots of support.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.