• xiola
    I am completely new to wigs and I have questions that I couldn't find answers for on this site. I hope someone can help me. I am not bald. I have a bald spot on the side of my head that you can't see unless I lift my hair up. I have had it as long as I can remember, even as a child. I'm 44 and my hair is just getting thinner and thinner. I wanted to know how do you put on a wig when you already have thin shoulder length hair? How do you put it up so the wig doesn't look bumpy? Is there some kind of accessory that you need to buy? Are wigs hot to wear? Thank you so much.
  • Debbie
    Xiola, I have bio hair also but the crown of my head is completely bald. Completely. ( not sure why I just don’t shave it off but I haven’t. Anyway to get back to your question, I used to bring all my hair up to the top of my head and I also would have a lump. But I have learned just recently to bring my thin hair into pulled back low ponytail with the last loop of hair not quite pulled all the way through with just one pin in that loose part. You can then put your wig on and it actually feels secure with that little knot in the lower back of your head/neck. It doesn’t ride up. Hope this helps
  • Lostfrog
    I pull my hair into a low ponytail like Debbie. The nape of the wig sits just below it making the wig feel very secure and keeps it from riding up. You can feel the bump were the ponytail is banded but you can't see it at all with the wig on. I don't find them any hotter to wear than having a ball hat on, but I don't have any 100% hand tied wigs which I have heard are not as breathable.
  • br13
    I put my hair in two low piggy tails so it is secured on both sides.My hair is very thin, so the bump is so subtle, you don't notice it . I use loom bands instead of elastic bands because my hair is so thin, elastic bands wouldn't stay in. I wear 100 % hand tied year round due to my job, and it is cooler than the permatease styles. I do thin them out, though, to make them less dense and more like normal hair, so that may affect the lack of heat transfer. During summer vacations, I wear either 100 percent hand tied, or my short Ignite style, which has some permatease, but the short nature of the hair makes it breathable in the back.
  • xiola
    What about wig glue and caps? Do you use those? I don't understand all the different terms. Hand tied? Capless vs cap? Lace front vs. ??? What are the good and the bad about each type? I'm scared to dive in because I feel like I don't know what I am doing or exactly what would work best for me.
  • linda
    There are excellent videos on all of the questions you are asking and more. Starting right here with Wigs.com . Or Pattis Pearls, Taz and more.
    Good luck.
    Linda
  • Jayne
    it IS confusing at first. Don't be embarrassed to ask questions! All the new terms and i think all will agree there is a big learning curve. My bio hair is now super baby-fine with thinning at the front hairline going back toward my crown. I wear toppers now which are COOLER and more comfortable to me than wigs. You don't have to have much hair to wear them! It Stays glue is great with lace front wigs or toppers. Grip Headbands are easy & convenient. Youtube videos are invaluable. Taz, Patti, Jill Lynn, Denise Sheets, Wear Wigs With Me....all are honest & informative, but YOUR preferences will be trial and error. Enjoy the journey! Keep us posted.
  • xiola
    It's just pricey and trial and error is expensive! If I can post photos of what I am working with I will. I'm not sure how to do it yet.
  • Lostfrog
    It can get pricey with tax and return shipping fees. I probably sent back 20 wigs before I found one that I thought I could work with and that I liked the color. Mind you it was not wearable right out of the box, the bangs were past my nose and it needed some face framing layers, but I could see possibilities. Keep in mind that the manufacture photos of the models wearing the wigs can be very misleading. Most are not even close from my experience. My advise is to watch as many Youtube reviews on a certain wig as possible before buying. Check out their face shape and the length of their neck to get a better idea of what it might look like on you, as well as their description of it's density (if that is something you are worried about as well). It is also really important to try and have realistic expectations. I have tried so many wigs that looked so so cute on others only to have it look horrible on me and send it back. Keep a list of what wigs and brands and colors you try and write a note to yourself why you sent it back, trust me, you will not remember why you didn't like it a few months down the road. It will save you time and money down the road to not buy that color again or maybe that brand runs big or something.
  • linda
    Excellent advice.
    Linda
  • xiola
    I think before I jump in I am going to go to a wig shop. I'm very fortunate to live in NYC where places like this are available. We have "secular" type shops but we also have a very large Orthodox Jewish community (I am Jewish also. But we are more modern orthodox and most people do not do that in my community) and we have many wig shops that cater to a mostly Orthodox population. I am interested in doing it because my hair is just very thin.
  • Jayne
    a wig shop sounds very smart! You can see what a wig in different brands feel like & look like without spending $$$ or deal with returns! Keep us posted!
  • xiola
    What about hairline? Do you need to shave off the little hairs along the hair line and the side burn area?
  • PennyC
    Not usually...you're going to want to keep the wig's hairline close to your own.
  • JudiMD
    I hope this question isn’t silly but here goes. My real hair hurts under my wig! When I first got my wig, it was very comfortable. But with each day of wearing it, my real hair roots and/or scalp has gotten so tender I can’t wear my wig at all. I have extremely thin hair (Thyroid disease) and won’t go anywhere without a wig or hat. So.....why is my head sore? Is this just a matter of getting used to wigs. Very discouraged.
  • PennyC
    I'd suggest wearing a cotton, rayon, or bamboo wig cap.
  • JudiMD
    I wear the Milano WigGrip. The only thing that secures my wig. They are awesome. Seems like mashing my hair down with yet something else tight would just make my hair roots more tender. I dunno? I might give it a go, though.
    Thanks, Penny.
  • alicexm
    I also wear Milano WigGrip bands and caps. I notice occasionally I have some soreness in one spot behind my left ear after all day under the wig. If I alter the direction of my pinning next day it usually solves the problem. You might also try loosening the grip as it could be a little too tight.
  • JudiMD
    Thanks, Alice. When you say “pinning,” what exactly do you mean. Also, do you wear a cap along with the WigGrip?
  • alicexm
    I use revlon flat clips to hold my hair. Don’t have the package to tell you more but they’re the one that “pop” in the middle to open and close. Six to a package. Compared to Bobby pins these lay flat and there’s no chance of poking through. I use loosely wound pin curls around the back which lessens the “bump” with my bio hair. As for caps, I found while I liked the mesh caps for ease of putting them on (with an open top, they go on like a headband), over time they slipped up and caused my wig to slip no need for a cap with the WigGrip cap, which is my go to.
  • JudiMD
    Thanks, Alice. I did buy the hair clips and they work well. Tried bobbie pins first and they poked through the cap and what little hair I have. I do wear the Milano wig grip; it’s the only headband type that doesn’t slip for me. I’m doing pretty good, now. Of course, I would rather not have to wear a wig, but thyroid disease and age has forced me to wear them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.