• Happy to ve Retired
    Curious as to how many people wash and/or soak their wigs in fabric softener BEFORE styling them. It makes such a difference in the way the hair falls. I just cut a new wig and then soaked it for 1/2 hour and I like it better than before the washing.
  • Gretabern
    I have been using the fabric softener soak on my wigs and it really does make them softer. I rinse it off in the tub for a few seconds and let the wig dry.
    Is the way you do it???
  • Jnc
    How much fabric softener do you use? Does it work for all synthetic wigs? I have 1 wig that could really use a recharge.
  • Lolls
    After washing my wigs, I soak them in fabric softener then rinse and air dry. Once dry, I steam set them. I've been doing this for years and most of my wigs are several years old but still in good condition.
  • Trish
    Just wondering how much fabric softner do you use and when dry how do you steam style them?
  • linda
    That's an excellent question regarding measurements for softener. Ive followed the same process for several wigs and for the most part it's been successful. But on one wig (following this process) the fiber hardened. I then tried rinsing and rinsing the wig. Finally it softened up. But it's still feels a little ruff:) Still not sure what I did wrong.
    Also can you steam synthetic wigs?
    Linda
  • Nikilet
    No one ever answered the question of how much fabric softener to use. Could someone please answer this?
  • linda
    That would be really nice, but I know there is a video. I'll search.
    Linda
  • dc21
    I use a small basin to soak my hair. I usually just put a fraction of what I would use for a full load of laundry, just enough to see it disperse throughout the water. I used the Downey fragrance free. I haven't been using the fabric softener method lately though.
  • alicexm
    in answer to the steaming question, yes you can steam synthetic wigs. I use a Joy fabric steamer on mine to calm down the frizzies. There are several how to videos on YouTube. Check Patti of Patti’s Pearls.
  • linda
    Thanks so much.
    L
  • Gretabern
    I love Amore wigs because they really do well with shampoo washing and the fabric softener treatment
    I use Snuggle fabric softener and measure half of a capful into a basin of luke warm water. I soak the wet wig that has just been washed in wig shampoo, for about ten minutes. I then. rinse it for a few seconds in the bathtub and let it air dry.
    But I have never been able to recapture the softness of a brand new wig.
  • Lolls
    I don't measure the softener but if I had to guess, about a tablespoon to a sink of water. As for steaming, I have a small handheld steamer and a boar bristle brush. I section off a piece then as I'm pulling the strand thru the brush, I'm also applying the steam. As soon as I've pulled the hair thru and steamed then I set it in rollers.
  • Trish
    Thank you so much I will give that a try!
  • linda
    Good to hear. Thanks so much.
    L
  • A7X
    How often can you steam a wig? I steamed an older one of mine and put it in rollers two weeks ago. It turned out great, but the style fell out and it feels rough again. Would it be safe to steam it again?
  • Vee1028
    sure you can steam it again! Steaming is actually helpful to HD wig fibers and the application of heat in any form is recommended by the people at Jon Renau on a regular basis
  • A7X
    Thank you so much! My wig is the type that is non heat friendly, but it did respond well to steaming. I'll give it another go this weekend.
  • Vee1028
    I'm happy it worked well for you! I've never had to use steam or heat on a synthetic wig but know it works well on HD fibers.
  • polkadot222
    I use one tablespoon to a sinkful of water. I don't rinse it out.
  • alicexm
    I tried fabric softener a few times but since most of mine are hand tied I just don’t risk it. I also didn’t see any difference in fibers with fabric softener. Steaming works exceptionally well for me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.