• HairLove
    As stated, I find my longer HH pieces easy to style bc all I have to do, is twist the length and roll it into the cap before folding it from ear to ear and storing in a plastic bag—all ready to pop back on my head, w/instant loose and lovely curls! However, the idea of trying out different synthetic styles is attractive, too, as it seems like great fun to be able to switch up esp the shorter styles and colours—w/o necessarily breaking the bank! Does anyone wear both?
  • Lori1959
    I wear HH and have collected several styles and lengths of synthetic - mostly, I thought, to experiment, wear around the house, "saving" my more expensive HH ones. I tried the higher end lace front ones, the cheaper ones, short styles and longer. I bought tape and roll on glue, powder puffs, steamer... blah blah. I'm most interested in how you said you roll and store your hair... please tell me more! I usually put mine on a mannequin. I even built a cupboard for them.
    So, I enjoy seeing myself in the different styles, but inevitably I find the hair is shiny and not as natural looking. It's nice on a hot day to put on a short wig though, yet do I want to answer the door in it? That's just me... it's fun with hubby though! The lace front ones itch and give me a rash after awhile, the cheaper mono ones are uncomfortable, itchy - so I bought caps which help a bit. I cook - lots, and can't open the oven or go near the fireplace with these things on and I've ruined new ones in a day because of it... hence the steamer.
    I always. always, go back to my HH ones, for comfort, for realism, for quality.
  • Diana
    Hi HairLove...
    Unfortunately a lot of wig wearers can not afford the expensive price of HH. Yes the are nice and are just like wearing your former real hair plus a 1,000 other reasons, but as a Surgeon, I can afford HH but I prefer synthetic just because to me they are realistic Looking (I prefer Raquel Welch) and really easy to take care of. Also in surgery (I also wear a wig grip) because I wear a surgical cap, I just have a nurse help twist my hair and put it under my cap. The synthetic wigs are more versatile and quick to put on and take off on very short notice. Give synthetic a try! No one has ever known I wear a wig unless I choose to tell them.
  • HairLove
    @Lori1959@Diana I’m so happy to see more activity here—and certainly to hear from you both! I’m very keen on trying synthetics but first need to do more research to avoid the kind of problems Lori encountered. Of course, encouraging stories like Diana’s only make me even more ‘synthetic curious’! According to what I’ve read thus far, the shininess can be resolved thru washing or using some dry shampoo, is that right? The prob w/heat actually melting the fibres, tho, seems much more problematic—and difficult to avoid, as well. As far as the cost, I’d like to ask if you gals actually pay what I see posted on ads for some synthetic wigs I would love to try—or are you more likely to wait for a sale (and then are your choices at all limited during that time) I ask, bc the last 2 HH Wigs I purchased (on sale) were very comparably priced to certain synthetic retail prices—yet I expect them to last a couple of years (with good care) Its so true that my first wig was/is prohibitively expensive...and I’m very very grateful to have been able to purchase it. Having said that, the company also offers a maintenance program (for a price..but only as needed) and they can colour, cut, add hair, adjust the size or even re-lace the piece altogether! Therefore, I’ve seen ppl wearing them for five, six or more years—and even saying they just get more natural looking over time. Might it possibly make financial sense, then, to have just one favourite wig that lasts for several years—rather than constantly buying synthetics every couple of months(?) Of course, there’s no getting away from the fact that the initial outlay is outrageous - but I have seen companies offering interest-free payment plans, so that may help solve that problem? I also must admit that - if one wants variety - it seems synthetic is DEF the way to go (and I hear you, Lori, about variety being the spice of life—esp in the boudoir!) As you can see, I’m kinda bipolar on this topic! What you report as far as realism, Diana, was also a big plus in my book, as my most expensive wig tends to have a somewhat severe looking side hairline (but I am extremely fussy!) which forces me to do some creative styling In that area. All in all, tho, it’s the most luxurious hair I’ve ever seen or felt—either growing out of a human scalp or ventilated onto a cap ) However, I’ve yet to see or feel a gorgeous Raquel Welch piece, either, so there’s that...Ah, well. It’s a long story but circumstances have given me a night free from responsibilities and so I composed a virtual novel in the private section...Oh, who’s kidding? Once I start typing it’s darn hard to stop!! (sorry..)
  • HairLove
    @Lori1959 I am sorry, Lori 1959! After all that, I actually forgot to mention anything about how I store my HH wigs. Of course, I’m certainly no expert but after investing in my first HH wig, you can be sure I listened very carefully to their experts! Here’s the advice, in detail (1) First, make absolutely certain the wig is completely dry! (2) Next, carefully comb out the wig—making sure to grab hold of the ends first, to safely comb w/o tugging the length to the scalp...and then working your way up from there (3) Now lay it out, w/the wig front facing you - and at this time - you can place a wad of tissue paper inside the cap to help keep its shape.**Please note : placing the wig on a piece of silky fabric avoids messing it back up, again! (4) At this time, you can place a wad of tissue paper inside the crown, to help keep its shape (5) Note : If your wig is longer, you can gently twist the length until it no longer twists easily - and then roll the twisted length back up into the cap (6) Now, you can fold the entire wig from ear to ear and (7) once this is done, I use my other hand to smooth back the front hairline—and then quickly place a hairnet over the entire wig (going backwards to prevent the front hair from getting back out of place) The hairnet also helps keep the wig length from unrolling back out of the cap—and, as a final extra step, I place yet another hair net over the wig, in the opposite direction—prob not necessary but just to keep it all nice and secure (8) Finally, it’s ready to be placed back into either the original bag—or any gallon freezer bag w/a secure zip will do! **Please note: Now, you can either place the bag back into it’s original box—or any shoe box will do, as well—as a box will also help keep moisture and direct sunlight from your investment (animals or prying little hands, too!) I am aware this all sounds complicated, but I actually do it in just a matter of minutes. **If you wear a piece daily, tho, of course it can be styled and left on a mannequin head—all ready for the next day! Otherwise, I’m told they can actually remain safely in a freezer bag for years... However, the company I purchased my most valuable wig from advised me to never leave my wig on a mannequin head any larger than my own. In fact, they recommend that it be a tiny bit smaller, to avoid eventual stretching of the cap. As well, they advise “blocking” my HH wig onto a silicone-type head, and washing it while attached, to avoid any further stretching, as well. Phew. Once again, I’ve over-typed—but I’d always rather hear too much detail when learning a new technique! Ttyl, friend :)
  • HairLove
    @Diana DISCLAIMER : Since I’ve been up all night waiting to hear back from the hospital, I was able to review my answer and I’m just hoping you didn’t think my comment re:Raquel Welch Wigs was disparaging in any way (as it could’ve been interpreted so) What I meant was, I haven’t yet had the pleasure of seeing and/or feeling a beautiful Raquel Welch wig!
  • Diana
    Hi Loti 1959...
    I do not know if you have done it to your synthetic wigs or not but the first thing out of the box they are very shiny. But if you take dry shampoo and spray the heck out of the wig, it will take every bit of that shine away. I wait about an hour or two..then shampoo the wig. No more shine. It works very well. There are different pros & cons about HH vs synthetic. I believe it is just a preference each of us have.
  • Diana
    HairLove...absolutely not!! On this forum we can say what is on our mind and the wonderful wig wearers on here can give advice as to what they have gone through. I have followed a lot of advice on here and it has worked wonderful. Good luck and please do not think any offense was taken ❤️
  • HairLove
    @Diana Oh, I’m so relieved, then! It’s just that - in text - it’s sometimes difficult to decipher intent, correct? Altho, I suppose that’s why emojis were created in the first place :) Btw - I’m curious - out of the 3 versions of this forum, is there one that is more active than another? I only ask bc I posted a rather light-hearted version of an actual ‘secret’ on the ‘private’ side, that would still be very difficult for me to share w/anyone other than an extremely close friend—or someone (like you!) who could actually relate. I find it remarkable, Diana, how quickly those of us w/hair loss can become as supportive as a long term friend might be...and that is very comforting, indeed.
  • HairLove
    Ps) I’m still not familiar w/all the mechanics of the forum—for instance, how to post a heart (plus the significance..) As well, I may wish to post pics at times and wonder if I should only do so on the private forum? Thanks in advance!
  • linda
    HairLove, welcome to the Forum.
    You are a delight to read and Im sure a true joy to know.
    I did read your story and it brought a smile to my face. Projection personified:)

I dont have an answer about the "mechanics" of this forum, but I am positive someone will share their expert knowledge...seriously.
    My limited experience with this blog is that Kindness rules. And you seem to have that in abundance.
    I look forward to hearing more from you.
    Linda
  • Diana
    HairLove. I agree with Linda. Welcome to the forum. There definitely is kindness on here. I too am looking forward to hearing from you. Sometimes I am away for a quick minute but will eventually get back to everyone.
  • HairLove
    @linda @Diana : Oh my! You lovely ladies have absolutely made my day...nay...my year!! You see, my ‘husband’ (after so many years, it seems rather ludicrous to call him a boyfriend) has just returned from hospital (yea!)—and so that is why it took me a while to respond. As well, your kind words have bolstered me exactly when needed most! In fact, this sort of uplifting fellowship has proven exactly the thing to divert attention from any daily concerns...mundane or not. I’m very grateful to have found you all:heart:
  • HairLove
    Ps) I’m going to attempt posting pics on the private forum, in order to illustrate the difference between my first HH wig and subsequent “thinnest hairline” ones. Therefore, I’m hoping you guys could educate me on which synthetic brands might offer a similar (or better!) realism?!?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.