• Kel
    When I started coloring my bio hair ( a looooong time ago) it was naturally dishwater blond. I went auburn. Flash forward to today... What's left of my bio hair is brown and about 50% gray. I'd like to go to a salt and pepper wig, but the current one is auburn and I cant figure out a way to ease into what would be my natural color. I'm not open about my wig- I don't freak out if someone knows I wear one, but would be really uncomfortable if everyone at church or work made the discovery on the same day! Any ideas on this transistion? Have any of you done this?
  • Vee1028
    Wow, that's kind of a difficult transition! It would be much easier and natural to go from gray to auburn as people color their gray hair all the time.
    I think if I didn't want anyone noticing I would do it gradually over several months. I would start out by going to either a light brown color with highlights or a light reddish color with highlights. After wearing that color for a while then maybe I would go with one of the brown colors that is 50% Brown and 50% gray. Then after a few months of that I would go totally gray. Nobody would ever notice.
  • Kel
    Thanks, That what I was thinking. I'm just ready to go gray and I can't find a style that is red gray. First choice would be to keep looking. But sometimes I am not as patient as one ought to be :-)
  • Vee1028
    I really think that, if you don't want anyone to notice, you are going to have to be patient this time. I'm retired now and it's only family members who see my hair and I swear none of therm ever notice if I've made small changes to length or color. But suddenly going from auburn to all gray might have someone noticing!
  • Kel
    I’m looking for gray but not all gray I think I’ll go with a lighter red/brown blond streaked color for a while than and go from there. Thanks for your input, it helped!
  • Vee1028
    Good idea. I'm not sure what brand you prefer, but I love Jon Renau's colors salted caramel (FS26/31S6) or FS26/31, or FS27. While FS27 is more red than the other 2, I can switch back a nd forth between these 3 colors without anyone ever noticing. Good luck!
  • Kel
    Wow Vee, that’s really helpful. I wear Jan Renau’s Annette. It’ll take a year between budget and easing myself into the end, but you’ve been so helpful. Thank You. I’ll probably to with FS 27 and FS23/31
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.