• Larry
    Hi every body,

I had a really good day, and wanted to share what happened with people who can understand and appreciate what non wig wearers would roll their eyes about, and dismiss it as awfully silly – even embarrassing.

A dear friend called today and made the wildest proposition. Dawn and I had been friends since the first grade, and graduated from high school together. A few years later we had moved on to different places and career goals. We fell out of touch, and a good many years had passed before renewing our friendship. One night she popped up on Facebook, and we picked up right where we left off. She saw pictures of me on my Facebook page, sporting different “looks” because of my wig wardrobe. That lead to me to talking about my experiences working with people with different kinds of alopecia. Not every one likes my fondness for wearing wigs; sometimes I get a lot of flack about them. I was 12 kinds of happy when she told me she loved my wigs, and thought it was great that I’ve helped people with self esteem issues – and not just people coping with baldness, but for other issues as well.

Dawn proved she was sincere – when I told her I needed a new stylist, she checked with her stylist to see if she cut wigs. When her stylist said that she did, she set me up with an appointment with her. Not only did she go with me, she even paid for my hair cut! As you can guess, that wig is my favorite. Besides looking great – as you can see for yourselves since I’m wearing it for my profile photo – it means a lot because it reminds me of the beautiful woman who’s responsible for me having it. Dawn is also responsible for the women in my life who call me “Ginger” instead of “Larry.” I wasn’t too wild about my nick name at first, but came to like it (and even prefer it when I realized that when a lady calls me that, she’s saying she likes how I look with light auburn locks)!

Dawn’s proposition?

She wants to go blonde; she wants me to go along for moral support, and here’s the kicker – she wants me to go blonde to! She knows that I had a blonde wig once, but chose a shade that didn’t suit me, and so I ditched it. “So, you don’t dislike the idea of going blonde, you just didn’t like that particular one because it was too brassy? Well, we’ll just pick a better color for you!”

I told her, I’d do it. Well, why not? If the wig looks bad, all I have to do is not wear it! On the other hand, it might look great and I’ll have another “look” for my wardrobe. More importantly, I want to do this for Dawn. She’s been a really great friend, and dying her hair blonde means a lot to her. If taking part in her “going blonde day” gives her the courage to do something that means this much to her, then it’s a no brainer – I’m in!

God bless and love,

Ginger (or Larry)
  • Tav
    Dawn is a SWEETHEART!

Larry,

That was a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. You won't be the only one needing the right color, make sure she gets one to compliment her skin tone as well. I trust both of you to watch each other's back. It's going to be a great experience.

By the way, the auburn wigs looks great on you.

Take care and God bless,
    Tav
  • Larry
    I love you, Tav! Whenever I find a message left by you, it always makes my day!

I'm glad you think I look good with light auburn hair. It was the most popular color of the wigs I wore back in school. I have a cousin who has the same eye color and skin tones that I do, and while my hair is brown, her's is light auburn just like my wig both the one then, and the one I have now.

As of now, "going blonde day" is still on. And yes, I'll put up photos!

God bless and love,

Ginger (or Larry)
  • Tav
    Hey Larry,
    For some reason my system wouldn't load this web site. I clicked on it today with little hope and was delighted that it loaded. I'm still not sure what the problem was.

I'm glad to see you share your stories along with everyone else. I look forward to hearing about the blonde day. I wore a blonde wig for blood work earlier this month and had all manner of complimentary behavior from the men. (One was climbing out of his wheelchair for me. I'm serious!) I find it sad that other hair colors don't receive the positive response blondes do, but it appears to be a fact of life.

Warn Dawn about the unexpected influx of attention she'll receive. Tell her to carry a substantial umbrella to beat men back with. A taser might be a good idea as well. I'd only taser myself as I hunted for it in my purse, so it won't work for me. Good luck out there!

Tav the hapless
  • animallover
    Just wanted to pop in and say that I have not been able to get on this website either for a couple of weeks. I was worried they did away with it as I enjoy the interaction with you all. I don't know anyone around me who wears a wig. As for blonde ones, I have a few but I don't enjoy the unwanted attention so I wear my bronze colored ones more often. I did just receive an Estetica wig yesterday in a rooted brown with blonde highlights and I like the color, not overly blonde. Yes, warn Dawn!!
  • Larry
    It's always great to get feedback from two of the loveliest ladies on this forum.You are always supportive and encouraging, and it's greatly appreciated. My lifestyle is of loving being bald, but also loving wearing wigs is unusual and I catch a lot of flak about it.

Just as important, is how God uses me and my unusual way of life to help others. When I get positive comments from wig wearers, I'm able to rise above the hateful slurs and labels I get all the time. I hope I'm not being presumptive in considering the two of you as good friends.

God bless and love,

Ginger (or Larry).
  • Tav
    Thank you . I thought it was just me and the rest of the forum had blown up, while I was missing out. The grass is always greener, you know. I wear mostly brown and some white or gray wigs. I save the blondes for the big box stores where I may need help. I'm shameless that way.

You're not presumptive at all, . In the process of weeding out negative people from my life, i found myself fairly friendless. Why so called friends want to be hateful and demeaning doesn't make sense. Hence forth, the majority of my friends are on line and I consider y'all my friends.
  • Diana
    Hi Larry…..
    What a wonderful story. Loyal friends are so important in our lives.
    Negative people can bring you down so quickly.
    I am a Trauma Surgeon and I cannot tell you the snide..rude..and hateful remarks when the wig comes off while I am scrubbing up for surgery. Things are already tense because of a patient I am trying to save their life…then I get “crap” about my wig. Usually if I cannot get the problem solved before going into surgery…I just tell them to leave..I don’t want them in there. I am in charge so I can do that.
    I don’t understand the hate…after my surgery I clean up and my wig proudly goes back on and I go out and talk to the family.
    Our country is in trouble and we should be sticking together and supporting each other. So much hate. For the last year I have lived at the hospital….people coming in through the ER are rude..demanding and hateful. If they don’t get service right away..horrible language…I have never heard that F bomb so much. But the name calling starts. To think I get gossiped about so much about my wigs…I would think people have more things to worry about than my wigs. The sad thing is this is all hospital staff that gossips.
    Thank you all for letting me vent. It has been a while since I have been on here. I read these all of the time and Larry I have read so many of yours and share some of your heartaches. I just think that people are jealous of our beautiful wigs because usually people that make these comments…need a wig!
    Love you all…my fellow wig sisters and brothers!
    Dr Diana Schultz
  • alicexm
    Dr. Schultz….
    I am so sorry you are experiencing such hateful behavior from your co-workers. Please know that we on this forum love and appreciate you and your efforts to save lives and care for us when we need it most. I am fortunate my friends and family are supportive whether I’m wigged or wingless.
    Stay strong and know we got your back. Vent as you need to maintain your sanity. And THANK YOU for being you.
  • animallover
    I have tried to surround myself with positive loving people most of my life, I have been fooled by one or two who were quite good actors but they were quickly banished. I have what is called a hyper sensitive personality, I can walk into a large store such as a Walmart and "feel" all the sadness, anger, depression, hatred, etc.... so much so that I have to leave and I now avoid those places. I consider you, and all on here that are in this journey my friends.

Thank you for all you do for humankind. It takes a lot to be a surgeon, especially a trauma surgeon, oh my. Your profile picture is beautiful, I can see the inside beauty as well as the outside. Yes, this country is in trouble and it breaks my heart. I pray that something shifts soon before it is too late.
    It is weird that you mention how medical staff can be so demeaning to others. I recently had a medical test done and these two women who were present kept looking at me and talking low to each other. Finally one just came out and said, "Is that a wig?" Not in a nice way either. I was shocked, it is the first time in the little over three years that I have been wearing wigs that anyone has approached me that way. I certainly wasn't expecting it from a medical "professional", ( I hesitate to use that word.)
    Sadly, my first feelings were shame and embarrassment. Anger came later at home. Now I have to look inside of me to see why I felt ashamed, why I was embarrassed. I thought I had conquered those feelings but, wow, how fast they showed their ugly faces to me. I am proud of myself though for my outward response, all I did was smile and say, "It is!"
    Again, thank you, thank you and thank you again for all you do, it was a trauma surgeon who saved my brother's life, not once, not twice but three times!

Did going blonde happen yet? And, yes like Tav says, you are not presumptive, we are all in this together and all friends!

Take care all, stay safe and love to all!
  • Diana
    Thank you very much to all of my new friends and thank you for venting. I wanted to say to all of you that have experienced rude or unprofessional behavior at the hospital…..please report it. This is not acceptable..ever. Unfortunately now with our current situation going on people that work in the medical field know they can get away with this because they are not going to get fired…they are needed to badly. But in reality..this is not ok..ever!! They should be reported.
    I do not understand rude people and never will. I also try and surround myself with positive, kind and fun people.
    Thank you to all of you for your love and support. I love you all.
    Blessings to you all.
    Diana
  • Diana
    I should have read this before sending my note. It should have read..”thank you for letting me vent”.
    I appreciate all of you. Thank you!
  • Larry
    Hi everyone; it's nice to see some activity here this week!

Diana thank you so much for your kind, uplifting words. I need all the support and encouragement I can get. I also admire the work that you do - you must live with a lot of stress just doing your job much less being "trash talked about" by your colleagues. Thank you so much for being a part of this group and sharing the gift of just being you with us.

Although I'm only 58 I live in a senior's retirement community (I'll save how I came to be here for another time). You'd think that people at this time of their lives would have acquired maturity and wisdom, but you'd be dead wrong. These people act like they're back in high school! They form little cliques, and trash talk other people because the only way they can "build" themselves up, is by tearing other people down. They try to hang all sorts of labels on me from 'weirdo' to 'queer.' I think that negativity comes from being afraid of something new or different, and often when they learn the how and why I wear wigs changes their attitude toward me. Not all of them do, of course; nor do I "owe" anyone an explanation for anything I do. On the other hand, when I decided to wear wigs again I asked my priest if that would be a problem because I didn't want to be a "distraction." He knew about my work with people with alopecia areata and had even read my essay, "A Special Wardrobe," so I wasn't surprised when he said, "of course you can wear your wigs!" The fact that his Dad wore a hair replacement system probably didn't hurt (grin). So I'm just going to do my thing, try not to let the slurs get me down, and treasure the kind words of support and affirmation I do get - such as from you all - wear my t-shirt that says, "wig empowerment day" on it, and try to help others along the way.

No, we haven't had going blonde day yet - our stylist is recovering from COVID! I've decided to assume that going blonde day is going to be a success, and so I'm having matching t-shirts made with the words,"We may be new blondes, but we're definitely having more fun!" What do y'all think - too silly or too cheesy?

God bless and love,

Ginger (or Larry)
  • alicexm
    So glad to hear “going blonde” is still going to happen. Sounds like a fun time. Be sure to share pics - if your friend is ok with it.

As far as the pettiness your senior community seems to be rife with, my experience with my late mother showed as she aged and dementia began to set in she became childish and mean spirited. My late husband was the same (beginning in his late 60’s). The reversal in personality was hard to deal with, but it has helped me (now 68) to remember to try to be a better person as I age.

Be strong, be confident, and always remember the forum has your back. Hugs!
  • Larry
    [[[Alice]]] Thank you so much, Alice! The kindness you and all the others on this forum have shone, and continue to show me is one of the ways God feeds me spiritually - I cannot put a price on how valuable the love I get here is.

Yes, there will be photos from going blonde day! Even if my peroxide in crime isn't comfortable with having photos of herself after going blonde, I'll post photos of me anyway, but I'm sure she'll not mind me posting some of her (not to mention the both of us doing before and after poses).

God bless and love,

Ginger (or Larry - if I have to! lol)
  • Larry
    I do, too, Alice, and not only because I'm a gentleman (gentlemen prefer blondes you know <rolling eyes>), but because I'm about to become one myself! (lol)

I think I speak for many of the other members here, that we hope you'll post some photos of you wearing your blonde wigs.

God bless and love,

Ginger (or Larry if you must <grin>), your wig sibling (I have boy parts so I can't be your wig sister).
  • linda
    I apologize for the lateness of this posting. Ive been off the grid for awhile due to travel and health issues.
    However, for what it's worth, your stories, comments and support for each other has been and is truly uplifting.
    I continue to learn new things here. And not just about products.
    Sharing your personal experience about the "mean people" you've encountered in life resonates with me. Plus how each of you have handled these people in a positive way. Lessons abound!

One thing remains the same with this blog and that is Y'al are truly sincere and good people.
    Thank you.
    L
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.