• Misty
    Hi everyone, my hair loss story started in my early 30's. Our son was only a couple of years old and I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease, which is a thyroid disorder. Most of the hair on one side of my head fell out, and the other side was so thin. I had lovely long blond hair, and it was a total shock. I immediately went out and bought a wig, and have not stopped wearing them since. It is wonderful to see how they have changed and to have a lace front and monofilament part is magical now.

I was also diagnosed with Grade 3 cancer six years ago, and whilst I was recovering in hospital after the cancer surgery, my nurse called me out on my hair. It was because she had looked after me for 3 days straight and said my hair looked fantastic every day - just not possible after the surgery I had! We exchanged hair stories then, how much it cost her to have her hair treatments and cuts, and the cost of my JR Zara wig! I live in Australia, so the cost of wigs is a bit higher than in the USA, due to our exchange rate. Cost wise I think I was better off than my lovely nurse!! I am wearing Tressalure Camille in my photo.

It is fun to mix up my hair, wearing Zara one day, Camille another day, etc. Someone in this forum wrote you need to own your hair, and that is absolutely true. Zara, Camille and the rest are my hair, and that gives me such confidence. My husband has been very supportive during all of this. He gives me an honest opinion in what he believes looks good, and the reasons if it doesn't sit quite right, or if the webbing shows at the back etc.

I wear my hair 24/7, it is comfortable for me to do that. I wear my "old" hair to bed at night, and thank goodness for hand held steamers and youtubers who give you advice on how to keep your "old" hair looking good!

I am loving reading all your stories, thank you all for sharing.
  • Katooshie
    lovely to meet you and read your story. Thank you so much for sharing. I am very touched by your health story and how brave and beautiful you are! A supportive husband is such a treasure. I'm so glad you enjoy the blessing of a supportive partner. I know you will really feel a wonderful family feeling from all the members here and from Alex our dear moderator and "hair son." I hope your health is stable now and I am praying right now for your full recovery! :)
  • Lynn
    Thank you for sharing and joining us.
  • Misty
    Thank you so much Katooshie. Yes my health is settled now, which is a relief to all our family and friends. Checks for the rest of my life are a reassurance, not a concern.

Everyone here has a beautiful story, it is wonderful to read and listen to others who have such a wealth of knowledge, and also love, to share that knowledge with us all.
  • HeatherE
    Thank you for sharing your story. :heart: I am a thyroid gal too, just plain old hypo. I hope you are healed from the cancer! And I am so glad the har has helped you and you've embraced it during your journey!
  • Misty
    Hi Lynn thank you for your welcome.
  • Katooshie
    so happy to hear your health is stable! :)
  • Misty
    Thank you HeatherE. It took me quite a while to "own" my hair and not be self conscious. Now, it just feels like mine. I hope you are okay with your thyroid issues too?
  • Lynn
    your welcome and your so right about owning it.
  • HeatherE
    Yep I am fine, other than hair loss and weight gain.
  • Misty
    HeatherE I know that story very well. So pleased to hear you are fine otherwise.
  • Misty
    Lynn 3435, it took me a while to be comfortable wearing my wigs. A windy day and standard cap used to be very scary for me. Now, with lace fronts etc, I find it is so much easier.
  • Lynn
    oh know what you mean I can remember my first ride in a convertible I was very nervous but it really wasn’t that bad.
  • Misty
    That sounds so lovely!
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Moonlitnight
    Misty, first, welcome and, second well done for returning to good health. Your husband sounds like an angel. xo
  • Misty
    Hi Moonlitnight, Thank you so much for your welcome. I have known my husband since I was 16, and we have been married for over 40 years. He is my best friend.
  • Misty
    Hi Alex - so true :smile:
  • Moonlitnight
    How lovely, Misty! I wish you at least another 40 years of blissful togetherness :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.