• VocalEyes
    Hi everyone! I've been trying to get my story in bio but haven't been successful so I'm doing it through a discussion. I had thick curly(ringlets) hair while growing up. Of course as many, if not most, girls don't like what they have. If they have curly, they want straight, and vice versa. Anyhow, here's my story.
    When I was in my mid 30's (I'm 52), I was put on a medication and within 2 weeks I had lost most of my hair. I was devastated! I tried to suck it up and look like it didn't bother me, but I could tell that people weren't looking at my eyes when we talked but lack of hair, or they came right out and said "Oh my God, you're going bald!". Talk about a shot to the heart! It was then that I decided to buy a wig. I had no knowledge about where to go or what to look for. I lived in the mountains in Pennsylvania and I could only find one wig shop. What I ended up buying was totally wrong for me. I wore it several times and was more self conscious than without the wig. I figured I would just have to live like this the rest of my life and deal with the looks and comments.
    When I turned 39 I started looking into hair clubs. I was excited that I would finally have real hair (at the cost of $249/month and having to get it reapplied every other week)! I was single with 2 boys so money was tight. My best friend helped me out with the expenses.
    Fast forward 5 years, I got remarried (to my high school sweetheart; great story!). I had to move to hot/humid/sunny Florida. My biggest fear in moving was that I needed to find a new hair club. My husband did a lot of research and found one at the cost of a $3000 signup fee and $375/month. My husband knew what it meant for me to have hair so we bit the bullet and signed up. However, after 3 years and raising 3 teenagers, we couldn't afford it anymore. That's when I started wearing hats and scarfs all of the time. People were always asking what happened to my hair. I didn't feel comfortable talking about it at the time. I then went to dying what hair I did have pink, purple, blue, red or any combination. It definitely took the attention away from my lack of hair. My husband, who had a long ponytail/braid let me color his the same as me. People thought it was cool. Since we're both musicians we can get away with it;).
    I still felt as though I should have a "conservative" look so the next step would be trying a wig. I was still skeptical about looking fake but I gave it a try. I walked into my first wig shop and bought a long light brown wig from the Noriko line. I received so many compliments! That's when I decided to explore different kinds of wigs. I went long and blonde for next one and then a short, dark brown bob for my third. I was given the name of a stylist,(Chris at Copperhead Salon) in Orlando who cuts and shapes wigs for free for people who wear wigs for medical reasons. He gave me advice on different styles and lengths that would suit my face. The only problem was that the wig shop I went to didn't sell a big variety of brand and styles.
    Finally, this past November, I decided to look online (which I had been warned not to do by other people). My stylist recommend wigs.com . WOW, I was blown away by the selections! I started with Jon Reneau's Zara in chocolate cherry (again long). I loved it but needed it to be shortened a bit. In February, my mom bought me Ellen Wille Girl Mono in Bernstein Rooted for my birthday; which I absolutely love! I finally found curls that I was used to when I was younger. Then my husband thought I should also try a pixie cut so I bought Ellen Wille's Sky in Tobacco Rooted. Finally, with the 30% discount going on now, I am waiting for Jamille in Bernstein Rooted to arrive. Evidently the color suits me because I get tons of compliments.
    It's been a long journey but I'm finally comfortable wearing wigs. They've come a long way from 15+ years ago! I love trying new styles and colors. I don't feel bad anymore when people tell me they liked a particular style or color better. I know what I like and what I feel comfortable in.
    I want to thank all of the brave women who have shared their stories and I hope I can help other people with their journeys. I know that, as a community, we can help each other.
  • Katooshie
    what an incredible inspiring story with such a joyful result to an awful problem! So glad you have an awesome supportive hubby! High 5 that rad dude for me!! Also happy you found your way to this forum. We can all relate to your struggles and rejoice with you in such a wonderful new hair journey! We are all in this together. Please post pics with your new wig when you get it.. if you feel comfortable doing so! Hugs and happy hair days! :)
  • Tammy
    I had no idea that hair clubs even worked like that. WOW the $$ I am glad you found wigs.com and the forum! Welcome!
  • Moonlitnight
    Laurie, that is such an inspiring story, especially the part about you and your love having matching hair. I can't believe the cost of the hair club. Yikes. Glad you're here, where everyone gets the struggles and the wonderful resolutions for them!
  • Lynn
    I tried the hairclub too but just wasn’t happy to much $$$$ and to much maintenance so happy I came back to wigs. Good luck sweetie :smile:
  • Lori
    Thank you for sharing your heartfelt story. I definitely know what it feels like and no one with a full head of hair has any idea how traumatizing it can be. Well said Katooshie❣️ Wigs have completely changed my life for the better and I absolutely wouldn’t go back to what I had before. I agree! Your husband is so amazing for supporting you like that. So nice to hear such a good ending to you story.
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • dc21
    I had heard of Copperhead Salon. I also live in Central Florida. Do you recommend them?
  • Lynn
    I too married my high school sweetheart after the first marriage ended. What a trip though :razz:
  • VocalEyes
    I would absolutely recommend Copperhead Salon! Chris, the owner, cuts my wigs. He’s a great guy!
  • VocalEyes
    When I told Chris that I was going to be an ambassador for the forum, he said to feel free to talk about him and his shop. He would like to help many people who need wigs. You can tell him that Laurie Palmisano referred you.
    He strongly recommends Elle Wille wigs first
  • Lynn
    I’m glad Chris liked the Ellen Wille line and recommend them, I sure do. I am also a fan of her curly styles. So glad you found us, your new husband and Ellen Wille wigs.
    Take care and happy curls :smile:
  • PinkEvie
    Your story is so inspiring and what an amazing husband you have.
  • dc21
    Thank you!
  • Moonlitnight
    Chris sounds like such a kind and decent guy. I so wish my head weren't as tall! There is an Ellen Wille wig that I would adore.
  • MarburgGirl
    lauriepalm, I loved your story. Thanks so much for the recommendation of Copperhead salon. I go to Flagler Beach twice a year and Orlando isn't too far away. I find it very difficult here in Nashville to find a salon that will consider customizing a wig for me. When I ask, they laugh and think its a joke. Wig stores are not great either. All my information is from YouTube. Recently I bought 2 EW wigs from wigs.com and I've been very pleased. It's such a journey!!!
  • VocalEyes
    Glad to hear about your recent EW wigs. I am very pleased with them as well. It is such a blessing to have Chris at Copperhead take of those us who wear wigs! I value his opinion. He's definitely shows compassion and treats me with dignity and respect. He always tells me that it's not necessary to tip him, but I'm just so grateful for his time and service.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.