• HeatherE
    Soooo all those who wear toppers out there. This is me, every. single. morning. Get self ready, Topper goes on last. Try to get it on, only it's crooked. Try again, oops, clip is digging/pulling, take off, try again. Oops, now it is sitting too far forward. Try again. Now too much of my hair is peeking out. Take it off, some of my bio hair gets stuck in a tangled up mess- ouch. Throw topper across the room, stomp my feet, wonder if it's too early in the day for a drink. Cool off (literally, in the throes of peri-menopause and am always hot), try one last time, and get it sorta kinda right. I now take a solid 1/2 hour longer to get ready. It's been maybe 3 weeks. Does it *really* get easier?
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh gosh, I hope it gets easier. My topper should arrive this week and it's a big one. Your description is really funny but I am sure it is quite frustrating. xo
  • KellyA
    I have the same thing. You are not alone
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh nooooo. Getting nervous here.
  • Katooshie
    I hear you :) It DOES get easier!
  • buckeyegal1963
    Me too Heather, I'm a novice as well. I got my Jon Renau Top Secret a couple of weeks ago, and wore it out of the house for the first time today, I also just took my profile picture today with it on. However I wasn't confident it would stay in place outside, so I slapped a baseball cap on, hopefully I'll get used to the feel of having helper hair on and not worry about the wind blowing it back. This the pic I took today, I hope it looks natural, it's a little shiny.
    Attachment
    memay5 (230K)
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you! I stumbled upon a youtube review by a young lady named Allison, it looked great on her, so I thought why not give it a go. That's how I found wigs.com and this forum, you ladies are all so kind and welcoming and look beautiful! I ended up ordering it from Amazon, since it was on back order here. I did order a different topper from this site as well, but I was sent the wrong product and the wrong shade, I was so disappointed, will have to send it back.
  • HeatherE
    No, this is my first go at anything other than Rogaine/topical stuff. I've given up on my bio hair which is actually pretty freeing!

I first got the top wave, and I too wore a knit cap to kind of dip my toes in the water, so to speak. This current one is top secret too- you look so great! Spraying some dry shampoo on it, and washing it and then soaking it in 1/2 water 1/2 apple cider vinegar will help cut the shine down. Did you have someone cut it? I did and she cut too much off. Which is frustrating as I wanted to let my bio hair grow out a bit over the summer.
  • HeatherE
    And I totally worried about the wind too! We walked from the car to a restaurant and when we got in I was soooo nervous my topper would be 1/2 hanging off my neck or something but nope, just some strands out of place. Just like my bio hair would've done. : )
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thanks Heather, I did the dry shampoo thing, will try the apple cider vinegar. I actually cut it myself, cut it about 1/2 inch longer than my bio hair. I'm surprised I didn't totally botch it, which I've done when attempting to cut my own hair, lol.
  • Katooshie
    you look so lovely in your topper!!
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you, as do you! I just worry about the clips damaging my bio hair further. I don't have bald spots, but the hair I have is thin/fine, receding a bit at the temples and fragile from heat styling and coloring. I wonder if sewing in combs would be better and if they would hold the topper in place. Has anyone tried this?
  • HeatherE
    I've not thought of sewing in combs. I try to not wear it at home- and since I am at home full time, it means it's off a lot of the time. That will hopefully lessen damage and also make it last longer? That's my thought process anyway. Sometimes, though, I think who cares. My bio hair is so sad, and wigs look so appealing.
  • Katooshie
    are you going to try wigs?
  • Lori
    I agree. I think it looks great on you! Good color for you too I must say!
  • Lori
    Wigs are very appealing. I had not a topper when I first started but just kinda a back part that clipped in. Once I went to a full wig it was much easier. No more worrying about blending and the blending coming apart. When you are ready, it will work for you.
  • HeatherE
    Maybe some day. I'm just happy to explore the topper thing for a nice long while. I'm a slow moving kind of girl. ; )
  • Misty
    I hope the topper works out for you. You look really lovely in your photo. It is 2.15pm here, another few hours, home from the office and definitely time for drink :)
  • Katooshie
    this is the point i am at. I am tired of the blending and the discomfort of topper and extension clips tugging and rubbing on my bio hair
  • Moonlitnight
    Heather at Cyster makes an interesting point about humidity and toppers. she said that, when it is wet or humid, your biohair will frizz up while the topper stays all silky smooth. That makes it rather obvious you are wearing a topper. So mine will be for dry days only.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Heather brings up an excellent point too! I wore toppers when my hair loss became greater and Toppik wasn't doing the trick anymore. Toppers were actually too much work for me in trying to get them to "lay" just so. They are great for incorporating my bio hair into them and making a messy bun. But in reality, wigs are just much easier!
  • Moonlitnight
    I am wearing my Milano right now. First off, it took a little time to adjust the clips to tighten it more so that it doesn't move around. Second, I just LOVE the fact my natural hairline shows so that I can put one side behind my ear. That is the one thing that bugs me with wigs. The tabs sit right there where you can see them way above your hairline if you push your hair back. Grr!
  • Vee1028
    I wear all of my wigs tucked behind my ears without a problem. What brand wigs have you tried where this is a problem? Just Ellen Willie?
    Also wondering if clipping a topper into your hair every day is making your migraines worse?
  • Moonlitnight
    I don't have Ellen Wille and only started wearing the topper yesterday evening.
    The wigs I have will not tuck behind my ears as there is way too much bulk and the flaps are 1.5" above my hairline. So if I force the hair back behind my ear, you see the hairline and cap and the flaps. This is true for Shilo, Brandi and Angelica large. All Norikos. Noriko is the only brand I have seen that has the really pale blonde. I also have a Spotlight Elite which is exactly the same earwise and flapwise... I am looking at Belle Tress Sugar Rush in Champagne and Apple Pie and also the Ellen Wille Glamour Mono in Champagne, but I can see the smaller cap causing even more of a problem.
  • Lori
    That’s exactly how I felt. It was hard to match the color, keep it blended and deal with those little clips. I was scared to switch but once I finally did I was soooooo glad! And now many years later I am even more glad I made the choice for my faux hair. It’s sooooo much better and easier to make look nice.
  • Vee1028
    ohhhhhh....I didn't realize you had just started using a topper.
  • HeatherE
    How is the topper going?!
  • Moonlitnight
    Hi Heather! I must post a pic and report on it. It is going well thank you. I will just go post under the pictures thread. xo
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.