• KellyA
    Has anyone dated with wigs? Do you tell? Do you leap to stop their hands from running through your hair? How soon do you break the news?
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Tell him from the get go. If he stays with interest. He's worth keeping. If he acts all weirded out, kick 'em to the curb.
  • Dogmom
    When I met my husband back in 97 I told him right from the start because so many "ass-hats" I dated before, when they found out I wore wigs they looked at me like I was from another solar system. I surely didn't want that kind of guy in my life. My husband loves me for who I am and loves my hair!

Anyone that don't accept you for you, wig or not, is not worth it and surely should never be in your life.
  • goldcapp
    I also told my boyfriend right away when I started dating him that I ruined my hair with hair extensions and that I wear wigs. He told me that I always looked different and interesting and that I was exciting and beautiful!
  • Alex Kautz
    That's the best!! Wearing wigs is so fun because you can change up your look with no commitment. :)
  • Moonlitnight
    Lol! "...another solar system." It's all in how you tell him. Tell him with confidence and he will mirror your attitude. If he doesn't, he owns the problem. I have not dated since the love of my life of 33 years passed away two-and-a-half years ago but I often wonder about this.
  • Moonlitnight
    That is just lovely.
  • Diana
    Moonlitnight. I just lost the love of my life of 30 years 5 years ago. I have just now starting to date again. I went from beautiful long blonde thick hair to scraggly thin hair from hypothyroidism. New wig wearer. Just ordered 3 wigs. I am happy with the wigs but not sure about wearing them on dates. Can they tell on your first date?
    This is all so new to me!!
  • Moonlitnight
    Diana, I am so sorry. (Hug) Learning to live with it is such a challenge. I miss him every day. My darling sister left a short while after. We were very close. That's when I lost a lot of hair. I think it was shock. When you say, "Can they tell?" do you mean can the man tell you are wearing a wig or can you tell the man that you are wearing one on the first date?
  • Melody
    Diana, so sorry for your loss. Most people cannot tell you are wearing wigs as long as you buy quality wigs and take care in putting them on. I would most certainly proudly wear your wigs on dates and look your best.

Personally, I wouldn't tell my date until after a couple of dates. I think its a good idea to tell them early, but why tell someone who isn't going to make the cut? I told my husband on the 3rd or 4th date and he didn't bat an eyelash. [he asked me to marry him after 6 months and we have been married for 18 years!] He said his mother wore wigs.
  • Mort
    Really, no matter what your initial reason is for wearing wigs, it's ultimately about fashion. So, if a date likes the way you look, I would not hesitate to tell him that you wear wigs. After all, a wig is just a fashion accessory, nothing more. The fact you choose to wear wigs should not be a deep, dark secret; no one believes that our heels are actually part of our feet, our makeup is part of our skin, or our lovely French manicure grew naturally from our nails. What is or is not underneath our wigs is is not the point; the point is that we play with alternative hair and look fabulous. Your desire to wear wigs shows that you are fashion forward and have your own sense of style. With that attitude, a man will totally embrace them! From experience, I can tell you that your dates will absolutely, without a doubt, follow your lead on this. Mess your wig up a little, wear it with confidence, knock 'em dead! Hmm...it's actually possible a guy will be more attracted to you BECAUSE you have the style and confidence to wear wigs!
  • Diana
    Hugs to you. Yes I was wondering if he could tell. I know I am wearing one so I feel that everyone else knows. I know there is nothing wrong with it. I just need to reassure myself that I got put into a medical situation that I could not help. I am in the public eye a lot so I just need my confidence boosted a little. Thank you so much for your help.
  • Diana
    Melody, thank you for your advice. It makes sense what you are saying. Your advice is so much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Diana
    Mort
    What great advice. Thank you. Believe me in these few reviews I am already getting my confidence back. Thanks to all of you for your wonderful great advice.
    I am so happy I found this site. Actually wigs.com sent it to me. I just bought 3 wigs from them along with the wig care and a few tools. I did buy quality wigs. That is the only way to go. I have received such good service from this company. Again my thanks to all of you. I now have my "wig" family!! Hugs to you all.
  • Diana

Melody, thank you for your great advice. I posted a comment for you but I didn't do it right. Now I did. I wanted to personally thank you.
  • Moonlitnight
    How sweet. I love your story. I think telling someone you have implants would be more of a challenge. I work in the business of medical/health/beauty writing and have seen this question come up a lot in forums such as this. Women who have had them for cosmetic purposes only seem less concerned than those who have had a mastectomy. It seems most fellas hear this "news" a few dates in (or however many dates it takes before the Big Thing) and few seem put off by it. So a wig is probably less of an issue. In any event, we should just be who we are, wigs 'n all, and if that's a problem then 'bye Felicio.
  • Lori1959
    1p0n7yadif9ru50h.jpg
    I have dated while wearing wigs. If it was a casual date, I didn't tell them. There was no need. If I thought it was going further, I did tell them. I had too! It's sort of a non issue for men really.... at least "real" men! I have alopecia, so not having a wig on is not an option for me. Trust yourself to know when you need to tell.
  • Alex Kautz
    That wig is beautiful, Lori! What style is this?
  • Lori1959
    I wish I knew how to make the pic smaller - but I'll figure it out! It's human hair -WigPro - Alexandra Petite hand tied. Color #14 and thank you very much! :)
  • Janis
    Hi KellyA! I agree don’t say anything to a date unless you see it going further. If you get dumped because of wearing a wig the guy is not worth your time!
    Janis
  • KellyA
    BTW, I'm married, just wondering
  • Moonlitnight
    Le :grin: Had us all fooled there!
  • goldcapp
    Hi, you all! I really enjoy this Forum! We are all like-minded. We can share and learn from each others' experiences. Mort said it all. It is important for us women to be fashion conscious and develop our own style. We should not feel that there is a stigma attached to wearing wigs. For some of us it is a necessity because of medical reasons, some of us just want to improve our looks. Let's be adventurous, try a few things and, most importantly, wear our wigs with CONFIDENCE! This can be lot of fun!!!
  • Coco
    Hi,
    I lost my precious husband 2 years ago after a long battle with cancer. I have another friend who lost her husband as well. We have both started venturing out into the new chapter in our lives and have dated a couple of men. We are in our early 60's. But we started wearing wigs just for the fun of it and we like to think of our wigs as just another fun accessory. We have both worn them on dates and it was evident after a couple of dates that we were radically changing our styles and colors. Our guy friends never commented to us and really, who cares! I know this is much different for you ladies that have hair loss due to health challenges. But I wanted to maybe encourage anyone new to wigs to embrace your adventurous side; let it be an opportunity to simply "be". And, yes, I love what goldcapp says about wearing our wigs with confidence. It's such a fun feeling to have a perfect hairstyle.
  • Casey Lewis
    But I wanted to maybe encourage anyone new to wigs to embrace your adventurous sideCoco

This is such a fantastic comment Coco, we need to experiment without the fear of rejection or what others think. A girls true beauty is from within. So sorry to hear of your loss x
  • Vee1028
    Mort...I really like your cute, short wig. What is it?
  • Mort
    I'm actually at the point where I don't care if someone can tell I wear a wig. So many celebrities obviously wear wigs, and no one thinks it's weird because it's just part of their look (attitude!). How else do they have teased up blond hair one minute and short black locks the next?
  • Mort
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that it's Shari by Envy in Sparkling Champagne.
  • Mort
    FYI, just last night I was out at a debate competition. While I was busy writing comments on student ballots, a woman--a complete stranger--came up to me and said, "I'm sorry to interupt you while you are working, but I just had to tell you how cute your hair is. I love it!" Folks, I NEVER got compliments like that before wigs! If my hair grew back, I would still wear wigs! (Incidentally, I was wearing Madison by Noriko in Mocha-H)
  • Alex Kautz
    Isn't that the best feeling ever?! :love:
  • Alex Kautz
    I would recommend re-sizing the picture before uploading.. & WOW! Alexandra looks super natural and blonde is a great color on you. :grin:
  • Moonlitnight
    First, my sincerest condolences on your loss and that of your friend. I am in the same boat. I haven't dated in 2.5 years because no one has crossed my path—they are all married seniors around here—and I have written at length on online dating for over-55s. As part of that (it was for a condom company and a pharmacy magazine that I publish), I signed onto a couple and was horrified with the whole process. When you actually meet someone "organically" there are little things that either turn you onto them or off and this isn't part of meeting someone online. It works for many but I just couldn't do it. But I just love your attitude. Yes indeed! I am not too concerned about telling a guy I play with wigs on occasion...I just need to find one to tell :( Happy hunting adventures! I can tell by your post that you rock. * ETA I know you didn't mention online dating.
  • hilea
    This is a new question for me, as I just started dating again after wearing wigs for the last year! I hadn't told my most recent dating partner, and he leaned in to kiss me and put his hand on the back of my head! I pulled back, and kept pulling back, making excuses. The next time we went out, I told him I needed to talk to him, and I let him know I wore wigs. He seemed to take it fine (he even talked about his process going bald). I still haven't done the big "reveal" of my bio hair which is short and gray--lord!
  • Moonlitnight
    I would "pull back" too, so don't feel bad. xo It sounds like he really related though. Woo-woo!
  • Lori1959
    I was 47 when I lost my hair to alopecia. I'm 59 now. Back then, my sons in their late teens wanted to tell their friends and I asked them not to. I wanted that to stay private. I recall telling them it was not everyone's business. I argued that they didn't need to know I wore a push up bra either or spanx to hold my stomach in or mascara or coloured my hair or went to a tanning place either!!! Why did they need to know I wore wigs????? I recognized that they may need a friend to share it with, so I granted them each one friend they could 'talk to'. l have some closer friends who know, family of course, support group people, but generally, it's my business.
  • Moonlitnight
    Lolol! Too funny about the Spanx etc. Gosh, If I added up all the faux parts, including a shot or two of Botox where I have these annoying "worry bumps" it would be profoundly disturbing. There was a poem about the Middle Ages called The Lady's Dressing Room I think. It was gross but hilarious. Starting from the bottom, I have two faux toenails, a push-up bra, makeup to sink a battleship, fake lashes, and the Brandi. Oh and extensions under the Brandi. There, now it's everybody's business :lol: *Off to find that poem*
  • Marty
    I love you girls! You have awesome attitudes. I have been wearing wigs for 11 years because of alopecia. Lost my husband 10 years ago (he was great about wigs). Have had a couple of relationships since and told both immediately and got great support.
  • Moonlitnight
    That is great Marty. Thank you for posting that. Now to find a man haha. They don't grow 'em here on the Island.
  • edgem61
    I never, ever got compliments on my bio hair my whole life. It did not matter how hard I tried to fix it up, pouf it up, wear it straight, have it professionally styled, or whatever. It just never happened. Once I started wearing wigs I started getting compliments on my hair. The first time someone told me my hair looked great I nearly teared up with joy! I will never go back to being hairless!!
  • PinkEvie
    Hello, this is my first post and having read some of your articles, you all sound amazing ladies and looking at your photos, I would never guess any of you were wearing wigs.

I started wearing wigs because of a health problem, but my hair has recovered now but I still enjoy wearing them, the only person that doesn't like me wearing them is my husband, but I never listen to him any way as I have had lots of lovely comments from friends and strangers, which says it all doesn't it?

Life is short, so do what makes you happy is my moto.
  • Moonlitnight
    Welcome PinkEvie! You made me smile with this comment: "...but I never listen to him any way..." :lol:
    Life is indeed short, and often very sad, and we must grab at whatever makes us smile or laugh or feel good about who we are. xo
  • Alex Kautz
    Life is indeed short, and often very sad, and we must grab at whatever makes us smile or laugh or feel good about who we are. xoMoonlitnight

:heart: :heart:
  • Jess35wi
    I'm 35 and started wearing wigs every single day over 2 years ago when my hair helper was no longer doing the job and I just said screw it and started shaving my head. I was in one serious relationship throughout a lot of the last 2 years and his mother had needed to wear wigs due to chemo before she passed away so he was always pretty understanding. We did have the occasional mishap along the way though with one of them slipping around at a bad time or looking back at pictures and saying why didn't you tell me how horrible that way actually looks when we first started dating that type of thing but for the most part he made it a somewhat easy transition now that we aren't together I just don't really even care anymore when anyone thinks but I don't bust out that information right away a lot of people that know me I already know because I'm open about it but if I start dating someone and they don't know first of all automatically pull their hands away from my neck and shoulder and head area so sometimes they can tell something is up that way otherwise I'll just shoot it to him in a text message like hey look I got to talk to you my hair all fell out hope that doesn't weird you out or wig you out no pun intended LOL... make light of it don't dwell on it have confidence and I've only had one guy that kind of thought it was a little creepy and tapered off and I didn't hear from him again but if a guy is going to be that skin deep then I don't want to date him anyway so yes it's possible to date wearing wigs yes it's a little awkward occasionally yes you have to have a sense of humor because Lord knows these things are not Bulletproof but overall my experience has not been bad so far the last couple of years
  • Moonlitnight
    Jess. What a great post. I completely agree that, if a fella doesn't "get" or accept it, then he needs to leave pronto! After all, we women love our balding or bald guys, or guys-who-hate-going-bald and so shave their heads. Imagine the guy-talk about how shallow a woman would be to not want to date a bald guy.

It brings up an interesting point about toupées, which are often referred to as "bad rugs." I am guilty here. I saw some fellow on TV when a friend asked me to give my professional opinion on Stormy Daniels' pupils (lol). He was commenting about legalities and did indeed have a very poorly applied toupée. I found myself quipping about him having a "bad rug day." I thought about this afterwards. A lot of women I know giggle and titter about toupées. I think we need to just think of faux hair on ALL sexes as being cool. Starting with myself.
  • Meredith
    Hi everyone!
    I have been dating for a month and a half...I haven't said anything about my wig, I have alopecia since I was 7 years old .
    I don't know how to start the topic...we are great together but I don't find the right moment to talk about it.some piece of advices please???
    Thanks
  • Katooshie
    Same here about the compliments! It feels so great when someone says "I love your hair!" :)
  • Alex Kautz
    I think we need to just think of faux hair on ALL sexes as being cool. Starting with myselfMoonlitnight

I agree! I also don't mind when people make jokes/mean comments (it happens!)... Life is too short to take anything TOO seriously. It's nice to have a good laugh every now and then.
  • Katooshie
    So happy for you!! It feels great to get compliments like that! You deserve it!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.