• edgem61
    I say yes there is! It’s unfortunate, but I do believe there are still many folks that tend to want to look down on people that wear wigs. Perhaps this feeling was created years ago when wigs really looked like wigs. Thankfully, today we have wigs available that would really be tough to spot for people who don’t know wigs, and truly even for those that do know wigs! It is my belief that with older people, those 40 plus years old, there still exists a stigma among a few. I’m not completely sure why, but I feel it is part of the sad human condition that we still have people that look down on others according to what they wear. I tend to feel that younger people, who often buy extensions, and now toppers, are less apt to have a stigma about wigs. I happen to be an older woman of 56, and I can tell you that years ago I have been among folks that would quietly whisper in a derogatory manner: “look at that Joan, she is wearing a wig!” or “Oh I know her, she’s the one who wears wigs!” All I can say to those that feel this way is take a good look at yourself and answer these questions:

Do you try to improve your appearance with make-up?
    Do you try to improve your appearance with jewelry?
    Do you go out and buy new clothes because it makes you feel good to look attractive?
    Are you overweight and try to hide it by changing your clothing?
    Do you color your hair?
    Do you buy gobs and gobs of skin care products to try to improve your wrinkles?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are no different than the person who tries to improve their appearance and their confidence by wearing a wig. I mean really, who do you think you are?

I am a wig wearer and a happy wig wearer at that! Yes, I would rather have my own good hair, but I actually enjoy wearing wigs too. There are many advantages. My hair always looks good. I can just plop it on my head and go! It takes me less time to get ready to go out of the house. I actually have folks tell me my hair looks good, and that had never happened to me before! I can wear a hat now in the winter, take it off my head, and my hair still looks good! I can go out in the wind with my wig hair blowing all over the place, and with just my fingers put it right back into place and it still looks good! I look thinner wearing a wig! It gives my face a little more height.

I have androgenic alopecia. Through no fault of my own, genetics has caused me to lose my hair. I’ve taken countless vitamins and tried all forms of hair thickening products to no avail. In fact, my hair has always been fine and thin. Watching both my mother and maternal grandmother lose their hair, I knew it was just a matter of time before it would happen to me, and it did. Thanks to creative wig manufacturers, I have better choices than they did. I am very thankful for this. If you think wearing a wig will help you feel better about yourself, just do it! You’ll be amazed at the difference!
  • Beth K
    Thank you for sharing your story! I think there is still a stigma too, but by being confident and beautiful through wigs we can change that. it takes time... and if people don't want to accept how beautiful we look with our wigs... that is their problem and NOT ours.
  • edgem61
    Thanks so much Beth! I think we can change it too! And for those who still look down their noses, we don't need them!
  • Sarah B
    Right?! Why is it a big deal to wear a wig but not false eyelashes? I felt despair over having to wear a wig, but then smacked myself and thought of those same questions you did. Awesome post. Thank you for sharing. :heart:
  • Dolly
    I am 63 and a happy, confident wig-wearer and yes, I remember hearing some of those derogatory statements from some of my mother's friends about another woman they knew. Fortunately, I think this catty pettiness is on it's way out! I certainly hope so. BTW, the woman they were talking about was the best looking, put-together gal out of the bunch! The green-eyed monster got the best of them...
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Moonlitnight
    I have no idea why there is this stigma, but there is. No one gets excited about fake eyelashes, or boobs. I've heard a few comments like, "Oh hers aren't real" but somehow it is said in a matter-of-fact way, while anything to do with the possibility of a wig is sort of whispered in a way that implies the wearer is either trying to deceive, or to be pitied, or both. I think the term "wig" needs to be changed to something more sexy. Hairpiece is a good start. Guys have it worse with "rug" I think.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Stigma, Schmigma!! If anyone dared to come near me to make a degrogatory remark I would very smugly smrk at them and politely say. "My fake hair looks far superior to those strings you call real hair on your head".
    I look at it this way. I bought it--therefore it IS my real hair and I wear it proudly. I've written about my fake hair so many times on my blog that I've turned quite a few readers into wiggies!! And I'm proud of that.
    In all honestly, I've never experienced a true stigma-type remark about my wigs. I'll be 63 in two weeks and my friends, my family, my co-workers know of my love for wigs. My fake hair looks better than my aging hair.
    I fake tan because I had skin cancer (why did I slather myself in baby oil and iodine). I wear fake nails because my bio nails are a mess. I wear fake eyelashes from time to time to enhance my crossed-eyes. I have chicken cutlets to stuff into my bra when I want my girls to look bigger. What's wrong with fake hair and wigs? I'll tell you what's wrong--NOTHING! It their problem!
    I could go on and on about this but I need to stop because I'll go on all night!!!
    Keep wearing the wigs. Don't let anyone get you down. Not now. Not ever. Never!
  • Mort

Agree, agree, agree!
    I know people who began wearing wigs because they loved mine. Stigma is in your head, not your hair!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I put off wearing a wig for at least a few years past actual need. I was out of town for about 3 months and transitioned to a wig while away from people i know. When i came back to town - i continued wearing the wig bracing myself for seeing people who knew me. The color competely different and much shorter than my hair. Comments were - you look great - you got your hair cut - i love that color on you. I finally realized that no one cares whether it is a wig or not. Everyone is busy with their own lives. Any stigma was in my head and while i am sure some people know - i think others dont or are unsure. I just say thanks when complimented. When someone asked me who did my hair - i said i had it done in california which is true. Less awkward for everyone. When i see others wearing wigs - i might judge whether it is a good cut or shiny or natural looking - but i certainly do not now and never did think less of the person wearing the wig.

It is so easy now wearing wigs. Takes less time to get ready and looks better than my hair ever did. I take it off at the doctor and for massage / but else - always wear it outside. Wear old ones to pool.

Believe me - you would rather look at me with the wig than with my own hair.

You do have to own it or everyone is uncomfortable.
  • Lynnaka
    I wear wigs solely for the purpose of enjoying the different looks that I can achieve, not to mention the convenience of putting it on and running out the door . When I get my hair trimmed and colored, my wigs stay off for a couple of weeks- but then they go right back on! because a lot of them are so similar to my color and hair style my husband says he never knows if I have one on or not
  • Lynnaka
    yc1tn1jaycnl2sta.jpeg
    The first one is without wig, 2nd one with wig. I guess I’m still not at that stage where I go entirely different but I hope to get there soon ! So sorry about two of the same picture
  • Missmgmnt
    When it comes to the stigma, what many people don't understand is that SO MANY celebrities wear wigs or extensions. Do people seriously think all these women in Hollywood have thick, gorgeous flowing locks? :lol: It must be the water right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ No! They're glamming up! And I for one see no problem with that! Men and women - whatever makes you feel like the most confident you is all that should matter! Some men and women are confident rocking a bald top, others like how they look in a wig or with extensions. A hairdresser friend of mine used to always give me hell about wearing extensions. She'd try to talk me into just wearing my hair real short. Well that was HER style preference, not mine! What mattered is how I felt about it... heck, I'm the one walking around with it so come on! LOL
  • sillysonjia
    I love wearing my wigs. For the first time since I was in my 20's I feel pretty again. Unfortunately my husband hates them. He does not like me to wear them when we are together, and it really bothers me that he dislikes them so much. We went on a cruise and I wore a long wig the first night (I brought 3 different wigs with me), he asked me to please wear the same wig every night so that the people at our table would not know I was wearing wigs. Has anyone had their husband or family react this way? I still have most of my bio hair, but it is so thin and fine and there are 2 "bald" spots that I really hate. Wigs have given me so much joy and I want to be able to wear them to events with my husband.
  • Lynn
    It's to bad husbands aren't like wigs....you could change to a different one whenever you felt like it.
    I'm sorry that your husband is not supporting of you wearing wigs. It sounds like he's more worried about what people will think of him instead of the confidence it gives you. Please don't let him bully you into not wearing them especially if you truly need them.
  • Deleted User
  • Katooshie
    Maybe we need to start a wig protest parade with everyone wearing their wigs, marching in the streets and waving wig flags? LOL Seriously, some people are going to judge no matter what we do. There are actually people who think wearing makeup is "wrong" or women in pants is "wrong" or ... whatever. When it comes down to it, who gives a rat's ass? You've got to be "you" even in your faux hair. Those who don't like it are going to miss out on the fun. Pity them! :) Dolly Parton sure doesn't care. She laughs all the way to the bank! ;)
  • Katooshie
    I totally agree with you! People have no idea these celebrities are almost all wearing faux hair! I think when we decide to step into our glory and create the image of ourselves that we truly see within (who we really are) other people may be jealous on a deep level because they don't have the courage or imagination or money to do the same. Should that stop us from creating an icon to present that we are thrilled with? NO WAY! Go for the gold and be an inspiration! The world needs MORE beauty and MORE joy...so let the jealous judgies judge!
  • Moonlitnight
    "Who gives a rat's ass?" Lol! I love that expression. And yes, even Jennifer Aniston wears faux hair. She was wearing a topper at one of the awards shows recently. I also love all these comments about "When the time comes, I have no problem with cosmetic surgery!" This is a way of tricking people into believing you haven't YET has something done when you've had more than a few procedures. YouTubers do it all the time as well—not all of them of course, but most definitely some who use the diffusing lighting and sponsored "miracle skin creams." I still have a few hair extensions. The Vancouver salon I went to did so many hair extensions that they opened up another location exclusively for that. Yet wig salons had this image of being only for people with some sort of "weird" issue, or a medical problem. People still titter when they walk by and make dumb jokes.

I am not entirely sure how we could bring wig wearing into the spotlight as something cool and trendy and not at all secretive. I'd like to go out there wearing a red wig like Dogmom without getting funny looks.
  • Katooshie
    I think the secret is to EASE into it. I plan to start ordering wigs in my normal hair colour and length to start with and then slowly add longer ones and eventually try other colours. I think it's a good idea to stay with ONE line of wigs/pieces so that you can consistently flow with the colours and styles. I really like the Hairdo line of products because a) price b) heat defiant hair c) beautiful consistent colours d) fine texture matches my own natural hair e) light weight. I've used their clip in extensions for a couple of years, and I just branched out into their topper to match. NOBODY KNOWS it's not my hair. I wore my topper around family and friends who KNOW I wear faux hair and they didn't even notice the new topper. They just said "Your hair colour looks good!" I am going to dip my toe into their wigs next, starting with one that looks like my real hair...who know where this adventure will take me? I get them here:
    https://www.hairextensions.com/collections/hairdo
  • Moonlitnight
    Thanks Katooshie. I have three Noriko/Amores all in creamy blonde/platinum pearl. I think the platinum is the same as the creamy blonde. The Angelica is insanely long and the other two are very long but within the realm of possibility. The interesting thing is they are all platinum tipped, which I have never seen before and find just lovely. I will go check out that site. I just wish my wigs had the lace front as that is one area where I am having an issue. The RWs have the lace front but they are horrible fibre (mats in seconds) and the colour is really dull. I'm looking at the Wig Fairy lace band in 613 to put on first. You can get them custom blended for more $ and 101 with 613 would be perfect. I think it is great that you can mix and match the hair that you are using.
  • Katooshie
    I think if I could marry my Hairdo hair and run away on a honeymoon with it...I would! ;)
  • Uriela
    I think the stigma has gone away. On several episodes of "How to Get Away with Murder," Viola Davis is shown removing the gorgeous wig she wears as a law professor when she is getting comfortable at home . Also on "Grace and Frankie," there is an episode where Jane Fonda removes two hair pieces from either side of her head to show her boyfriend that all that hair isn't necessarily hers. Both these TV shows are showing what's going on out there and that it's common to wear a wig these days.
  • Moonlitnight
    That is really good to hear.
  • Katooshie
    Had to see if I could find the Jane Fonda episode. Couldn't find it but found this...
    look at her rock that faux hair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ3MchSG7UM
  • Moonlitnight
    She really is a beauty. Have you seen Our Souls at Night? Such a great movie!
  • Katooshie
    OH YEAH I just watched that again last night!
  • Deleted User
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.