• Sarah B
    One day in my glorious late 20's, I was out to lunch with some of my coworkers. We were on the patio outside, basking in the sun, when suddenly I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the restaurant's window. The first thing I saw was my the part in my hair, shining like a mirror. It. Was. Huge.
    I began paying attention to my hair in a way that I never had before. I noticed that I had no baby hairs on the front or top of my head. It wasn't really noticeable to others, so I just adjusted my part and hoped for the best. When I had my two little girls in 2012 and 2014, the hair loss went nuts. I shed handfuls of hair after my first daughter's birth for six solid months, then lost hair both during and after my second pregnancy. Everything I read online said that the postpartum hair loss was normal and that it would grow back, but it never did. Finally, I came across an article that said that for some women, pregnancy kick-starts female pattern baldness. I cried, saw a doctor, then cried again when she said, "Yep, it's the sucky kind of hair loss. Try the topical stuff."
    The next several years are a blur of denial, celebration over every new hair, and depression when said hair falls out after growing only a couple of inches. I tried the hair loss treatments, but nothing worked enough to make me commit to a lifetime of dumping chemicals into my scalp to hold on to a few thin, limp strands. I came across another hair loss blog, and the woman who wrote it looked like me. That was an amazing feeling. I watched her put on all of her toppers, and then worked up the nerve to get one myself. My first one was a Jon Renau easiPart topper. Out of the box, it rocked my world. I couldn't believe it. I am now building a hair wardrobe.
    I don't need toppers for everyday yet. I can get by with concealer and a good blow-out. But if I want hair that looks good for more than 10 minutes or have a date or party, I break out the hair. I look amazing. I FEEL amazing. My outside finally matches my inside. I'm Sarah again. Chances are, with both me and my husband experiencing hair loss, one of my girls will deal with it too. I am open with them about my hair, and hope to be an example to them. I want them to know that life isn't over when your hair falls out. It is possible to be sexy and confident, and best of all, be out the door in half the time. Trying on that topper was a turning point in my hair loss journey.
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Megan Lasuzzo | Wigs.com Team
    Thank you for posting this--Your words are such an inspiration to me. Thank you.
  • kristyndanger
    You're so right. Life was made to be lived, not spent crying in front of our mirrors. Committing to a life with any other goal than being your best, happiest, and most confident self is a waste! <3

Thank you @Sarah B
  • alicexm
    After years of fighting the thinning, using Rogaine, vitamins, special shampoos, etc. I decided to give wigs a try. It took me a few weeks to finally click the Purchase button, and within a few days I had my first Envy wig. I took it with me to my daughter's for the holidays, and she loved it almost as much as i did. I went with my natural hair color and shoulder length, and it looked so natural. Then I came home and put my wig in the closet for a couple of weeks. I was too embarrassed to wear my new hair to the office. Then after a particularly bad hair week, I got up on Monday morning, put on my wig and toughed my was to the office. Not a soul commented, other than one co-worker who told me she liked my new haircut.

Since that time, I have added four more wigs to my wardrobe, all same or near same color but different styles. I get compliments on my "do's", but not a soul (except my nail tech who has sat across the manicure table from me for ~15 years) has ever guessed it was a wig.

I have finally decided thinning hair with ever increasing bald spots is more embarrassing to me than wearing a wig. I never have a bad hair day, i don't have to spend a lot of time styling my hair. I feel more confident. What's not to like?
  • Sylvia
    Your story is touching me deeply! :heart:
  • Carmella
    I developed Alopecia while going through my divorce 10 years ago. I now say that it's just another thing I lost in the divorce! Anyway, it did grow back once, then I lost it all again. Second time around I also lost my eyebrows & lashes. That is the worst!! I got my brows tattooed and it was the best thing ever. I was buying expensive wigs in various stores around town, but now I buy online. I love the wigs on Wigs.org . They look natural, feel soft and are long lasting. I do HATE wearing any wig in hot weather or summer, so I am getting more comfortable wearing scarves. I wish there was more research and information on getting these hair follicles activated! Bravo to all of us powerful, amazing, beautiful Women!
  • Moonlitnight
    Thank for posting such an inspiring story Sarah. "My outside finally matches my inside. I'm Sarah again." :love: I think this is wonderfully put. I have never had anything but skinny hair so I have never really experienced returning to myself, but I am wearing a wig right now and keep walking past the mirror and admiring myself instead of cringing.
  • Gretabern
    Carmella. I too have lost my hair three years (at the age of sixty five) due to alapecia I’ve gotten used to wearing wigs and desperately hope they don’t look too “wiggy”. And now my eyelashes are scanty and my eyebrows are no more. I always cut my wigs into bangs to cover this but I think I’ll try the tattoo eyebrows. But what to do about the eyelashes? I tried the stick-on ones but it’s too difficult for me.
  • Katooshie
    that is super to hear! MORE and MORE self love is a very good thing! Enjoy your beautiful self!
  • kimberlybasso
    Thank you for sharing your story. I am so nervous to have kids because of this. My hair started thinning at 19 and I have family history of hairloss. I too found the Jon Renau Easi Parts and they changed everything! I started posting videos of me styling it https://www.instagram.com/kimberly_basso_/ and that is how I ended up finding this online wig.org forum too, which I am loving! xx
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.