• Dogmom
    Hi ladies,
    Interested to know how my fellow wig wearers keep their gorgeous long locks from tangling. We all know that the long synthetic hair we love after a while will fray and tangle from rubbing on your back/neck. So what are your methods?

After wearing them I spritz them with the Beauty Mark leave in conditioner and gently with my wide tooth comb, comb through and give a slight shake before putting it back on the wig stand. That usually does it for me.

How do you keep your long synthetic wigs from tangling? How do you remedy tangles and mats?
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Moonlitnight
    I do pretty much the same conditioning and combing-wise but I also use my comb or Great Lengths extensions "brush" 2 - 3 times a day while it is on my head.
  • BeatA

I just started wearing longer hair again. I had stopped because of the tangling and matting problem. Until I found out about using heat tools on low settings and steaming. That does take care of the problem so now I enjoy longer wigs too.
    There are some YouTube videos out there. patti’s Pearls does some about steaming synthetic wigs which is helpful. However, when you do that your wig will be straight as an arrow! She also shows how to get it back into shape, but that is more advanced than I am ready for I think. At least at this point. But it is definitely possible. With synthetic ( non heat friendly) wigs you can use LOW) heat settings on your heat tools ( try it out on an old wig first) and you can use a steamer. I bought a travel steamer from amazon works pretty well. You can also use the low heat on an air heat styling tool.
    @Katooshiecan you post the links please? I can’t do it from my phone. I think you have posted some of those links before.
  • Dogmom
    Everyone here is right on point! Thank you! And of course when it gets too old and too matted and starts looking like brillo then it winds up in my "basket" of hair that I put under a bandana and wear to the gym!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    I"m very careful with my longer units. I try to not wear them with heavy wool sweaters. But in the winter I will put a bit of Frizz-Ease on the ends to protect the synthetic fibers of the wigs. When the ends get really, really bad I trim the slightest bits off.
    But after every use, I comb with a wide tooth comb, inside and outside. Then I turn the wig inside out and spritz with wig conditioning spray then I let the wig hang for about an hour until the conditioner dries completely. Then I take the wig and stuff the head part with tissue paper, turn the ends of the wig under, put a net over it and store in the box the wig came in.
  • Tammy
    I agree the steaming makes them straight then you have to reshape them which scares me. I am just not sure I can put that style back in it.
  • Misty
    I am the same as you. I used to have to cut my hair shorter and shorter to remove the frizzed ends. I would then have "new hair" which was longer - the opposite of what happens with your natural or bio hair!

I discovered the youtube videos from Pattis Pearls as well, so now I use the steamer which works really well, but you do end up with dead straight hair. I wear Jon Renau Zara, so after steaming it straight, I then turn my wig inside out, and twist the long length gently into a coil, it very similar to how it looked when it arrived in the box, lay it down flat, and then put the steam over the wig. I leave my hair like that overnight, and by the morning I have movement back into my Zara.

I would definitely recommend trying this with an old wig first.
  • Lori
    I use a steamer in conjunction with a cold curling iron. what I do is wrap the hair around the cold curling iron and then steam it as I wrap it around. A friend of mine who does wigs for a living taught me how. Then when you get It all wound around the curling iron, just hold it for a few seconds to set and let it go and it makes a beautiful curl. A steamer is really the best bet for keeping it smooth.
  • Lori
    that sounds like a great method too Misty. Read my post above this to see how I curl mine.
  • Katooshie
    that is brilliant! Thanks!!
  • Katooshie
    thats a great idea!
  • Lori
    Also girls I just bought this brush that works really well for long hair. It’s a goody ouchless brush for little girls hair. The bristles are soft and bend really easily. And also there are not many bristles. I would highly recommend it. Here’s a pic. robdrwe84q93dh27.jpeg
  • Lori
    you are soooooooooo welcome :smile:
  • Misty
    Thanks very much Lori, I will try that way as well :smile:
  • BeatA
    wait, how do you steam the hair as you wrap it around a curling iron? How many hands do you have? :lol:
  • Misty
    LOL love this, as I haven't tried this as yet. Just did the "normal" steam tonight and about to head to the land of snooze. Night everyone, and can I say, it is so lovely to have so many new friends. :hearts:
  • crazywiglady
    Hi everyone! I like to make sure I don't wear a shirt without a collar on the days I wear my longer wigs, this seems to help with tangling; also some detangler spray throughout the day is super helpful. I always put my wig on a stand after wearing it and use some silicone spray to smooth it as well.
  • amyonwigs
    I like to spray some Jon Renau HD Detangler spray on the ends of my longer wigs and let the wig dry on my travel stand overnight. It keeps the ends more supple and they seem to last longer.
  • Katooshie
    A spray bottle filled half water and half fabric softener and spray spray spray after wearing
  • katiekates
    Hi, I use this product called "Simply Stylin'" and I get it LIGHTLY scented. This product is genuinely amazing! It's made for wigs (synthetic hair) and it's magic! I wear longer wigs and I just spray the back of the wig (the part that rubs on your neck and gets all tangled) and my ends and I swear my wigs hardly tangle in that area anymore - also, the fraying is much less. This makes my wigs last longer. Seriously, give it a try, you can get it on Amazon.
  • BeatA
    @amyonwigs@Misty@Dogmom@Lori
    So I did an experiment today with an old synthetic non heat friendly wig. I put in some rollers ( the ones you heat up, but I put them in cold) and then I used the travel steamer I got on Amazon for $17 and steamed around the rollers for a bit. After it had cooled off I took the rollers out and Voila, the hair was curly! Just to make sure I washed it and it stayed curly! Ha! Pretty impressive. I mean it wasn’t a great curl job, but I was just experimenting with an old wig. You could always straighten it back out and try again I suppose.
    I think twirling it and laying it flat and then taking then steamer to it should also work.
    Just thought I would let you know.
    I wouldn’t get too close to the non heat friendly synthetic hair with the steamer, you don’t want to melt it. :groan: Best to experiment first.
  • Misty
    Great to hear re: the rollers, as I have not tried that before either. Thank you for this advice.
  • Moonlitnight
    Thanks for that one, BeatA. I have to invest in one of these steamers.
  • Lori
    Thanks for sharing❣️ Everyone is becoming so creative with their techniques. I love it! That sounds like it would work really well. Before I had heat friendly fibre I always used my steamer on the regular kind and it never melted it. It’s actually surprising it doesn’t cook it. I guess because it’s moist heat, that makes it different.
  • Lori
    I have the steamer sitting to the side. Then I get a bit of hair started on the curling iron. Then as I twist the curling iron in my one hand, I go over and over it with the steamer while I continue twisting the curling iron. It’s a bit awkward when you first start doing it, but you will quickly get the hang of it. It works so nice. :smile:
  • Lori
    I do the same. Brushing a few times a day really helps it not be tangled and stringy looking.
  • Lori
    You said it! It’s so nice to have all of you girls as friends. I am just loving this. And so cool that we live all over the world. I eagerly sign in to see what everyone has said. I have never ever been on social media before this. I am so glad wigs.com thought of this idea. ❣️❣️❣️
  • Lori
    you really should invest in a steamer. They make such a difference my friend.
  • Misty
    I know what you mean Lori. A couple of the other girls have mentioned this forum is addictive, and I agree that it is. :smile:

There are not too many places in this world where we can open up our concerns, thoughts and hopes to others without some not always good responses. This forum and all the members that are making it our forum, are wonderful, compassiionate, sharing people. So beautiful to be able to share.
  • Lori
    Sooooo beautiful!!! There is no one I can talk about my hair insecurities and issues with. And you girls have changed all of that and for that I am grateful ❣️❣️
  • Moonlitnight
    I second that :hearts:
  • Moonlitnight
    Grateful as well...:hearts:
  • Twinkle
    this is awesome! I’m trying your way tomorrow!! Thank you for sharing!
  • Lori
    Great! Let me know how it goes.
  • Katooshie
    it would be great to see a photo of you if you are comfortable :) i love having a face to picture when i think of you! But only if you are comfortable!!
  • Lori
    im there you go.
  • Lori
    dang it didn’t work for some reson. Here.
    8nfq1zgedc8dcx5n.jpeg
  • Katooshie
    oh WOW!!! You are beautiful!!! Love that long hair and colour!!!
    What piece is THAT and colour! You are HOT mama!!!
  • Katooshie
    isnt she just so lovely???
  • Misty
    Absolutely lovely! :hearts:
  • Katooshie
    i am still amazed how beautiful everyone is on this forum!! I don't know if its the good hair or what?!
  • Lori
    lol. Thank you! This one is RW limelight in honey ginger. RL14/25
  • Lori
    thank you Misty. You girls are all so sweet!
  • BeatA
    I agree you look wonderful thanks for sharing your picture. I was going to ask you for a profile picture too, but then I figure you would add one when you’re ready.
  • Katooshie
    that honey ginger rocks. RW uses the same manufacturer aa Hairdo line so i am pretty certain this colour is very close to my Hairdo ginger blonde!
  • Erzsike
    why brand of fabric softener? I have never used that method. I just tried the patti's pearls method of first using detangler spray on section of hair, steam, then recurl with curling iron on low heat.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.