• drift3r
    Hello friends! I recently found out that some health insurance companies cover “cranial prosthesis” (wigs!) for those with medically explainable hairloss. It sounds like (at least in the US) certain carriers can cover 1 wig a year for things like Alopecia Totalis, Alopecia Areata, Trichotillomania, Chemo, or any other clinical disease or treatment resulting in hairloss. Did you guys know about this yet? Anyone care to share their experience with wigs and health insurance?
  • Moonlitnight
    Mine only says "wigs for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy." This is an extended benefits plan as well. I am going to shop around!
  • drift3r
    Interesting!! Health insurance plans are so confusing sometimes, I was definitely surprised to hear wigs could be covered at all. For cancer patients, I definitely think they should be!!
  • dc21
    I inquired a few years ago. It wasn't covered under our family plan through my husband's employer.
  • KellyA
    I think you have to be completely hairless from something specific.
  • BeautyWithin
    I went to my dermatologist who has been walking with me through my hair loss journey. She diagnosed me as having alopecia areata and my insurance company was wonderful about it. I get a $300 credit each year to spend towards a cranial prosthesis AKA a wig. Some insurance companies only cover wigs for people who have cancer. I have been purchasing mine through a wig shop and they code it as a medical device when they submit it to the insurance company. I'm coming up on July 1st when I can get a new one and I will have to get everybody's input. I have some that look nice but I haven't found "the one" yet. I would encourage everyone who has to wear one due to hair loss not just a fashion choice (No judgement here : ) to check with their insurance company to see if there is coverage.
  • drift3r
    Oh wow!! It’s very cool that your insurance company gives you an annual credit. I was told that if my doctor wrote me a prescription for “Cranial Prosthesis” that I would qualify for a small annual allowance as well. My wig wearing is definitely not a fashion choice per this super gross pic of my noggin :rofl: But I’m not 100% bald yet and don’t have an official diagnosis on the books so we’ll have to see what my doc has to say! I’ll have to make an apt. :smile:
  • Moonlitnight
    I hope you get what you should rightly have :heart: Faux hair is not a fashion choice for most people, including me.
  • Danielle | Wigs.com Team
    If y'all don't mind me asking... what insurance do you have?

We are trying to do more research about insurance coverage for wigs and would love to hear y'all's experiences! Feel free to reply to this thread or private message me :heart:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.