• DeniseJH
    Hi! It looks a little rough, and I'd like it to look a little softer. Should I try to comb it with a large tooth comb, or is there some product that would do the trick? (I haven't worn it yet, except for around the house to get used to it, and haven't cleaned or conditioned it either.)

Thanks!
    Denise JH

• MoonlitnightAccepted Answer
    Welcome Denise! Good to have you here. Do you have one of those Jon Renau wide-tooth combs? (They are very different from a regular drugstore wide-tooth comb. If not, they are well worth the investment.) You can get them on wigs dot com. Also, what do you mean by "rough"? Do you mean the hairs are not sleek? It sounds like it needs a gentle shake, a light application of spray-in conditioner and a gentle comb-through with the aforementioned comb. Please keep us posted!
  • DeniseJH
    Thanks for the welcome! Well, it looks kind of slept in - like it needs to be brushed. And yes, I'd say "not sleek". I've ordered one of the wig combs, and a basic set of care products, but I don't have them yet. So it is ok to comb with the wig comb even though it says not to comb or brush? There are SO many products...but you'd suggest the spray-in conditioner? I'll check to make sure my order included that. Thanks again!
  • Moonlitnight
    I cannot imagine why it would say not to comb, assuming you are using a very wide tooth comb and being very gentle. I don't personally have an Ellen Wille wig but lots of ladies here do. I am sure someone will jump in and respond soon.
  • DeniseJH
    The instruction is a pretty rough translation from German. It reads: "For the perfect, fashionable styling your model remains long, comb or brush it never. (Neither in dry even when wet.) For Fanning, use only a 'five finger' comb or your fingers." I guess the "five finger" comb is the wide tooth comb. I hadn't caught that before. I just want to be careful not to ruin it! Thank you!
  • Katooshie
    welcome and congrats on your wig! A plastic wide tooth comb should be fine. To be honest i brush the heck out of mine and curl them with a curling iron and they look better than new. Is yours heat friendly synthetic? It would be great to see a photo of you with your wig if you're comfortable with that!
  • DeniseJH
    Hi, and thanks for the welcome! No, my wig isn't heat friendly. One day soon, when I have make-up on and get my wig looking good, I'll be sure to post a picture! Thanks again!
  • Katooshie
    oh ok...so no heat on your wig! Looking forward to seeing you all dolled up with your new do!!
  • Moonlitnight
    The Jon Renau comb also has smoothed curves to the teeth.
  • Tammy
    I feel like they are saying not to really brush it because it is curly, you do not brush curly hair. They say five finger, because they recommend only using your fingers to comb through it. Taz has a styling video for this girl, https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=girl+mono#id=4&vid=c4f84c8e87273458c8812739c2af05ec&action=view
  • DeniseJH
    OMG, thank you Tammy! I haven't had enough hair to style in so long....all those cute little clips!! I can't wait to play with it! Thanks again!
  • DeniseJH
    Yes, I'll have to get that comb Moonlitnight. The one I ordered is a travel size, since I wasn't sure I'd even be using it. Now that I know, I'll order that one. Thank you!!
  • DeniseJH
    I just checked and it looks like the travel size comb I ordered is the right one. Yeah!!
  • Moonlitnight
    Just go gently with it... :)
  • BeautyWithin
    I went from a straight Cameron to the January with the messy girls. It took me a little while to figure out how to style it as well. Patti's pearls has a fabulous video on YouTube about styling beach waves. I use her method where you section out chunks of the hair and then omb and smooth it, roll it into a curl and slightly push the curl up. Once you do that all the way around your head you only run your hands through it with your fingers one time to loosen up and get that deconstructed curl look. Even when I wear it out I find myself needing to do this to even out the curl pattern. I stand in front of the mirror and curl the front two or three sections with my hands real quick and then loosen it and I'm good to go.
  • BeatA
    yeah I saw that video too it’s brilliant!
  • Moonlitnight
    I must watch this. Maybe I could beach wave Spotlight.
  • BeautyWithin
    Patty was one of my original YouTube video encouragers when I started considering wearing wig. I love her vibrant personality. She is so much fun! I just want to go hang out with her. She's like one of my wig idols. LOL
  • Crystal
    Yay, this has been helpful for me since I have January. I'll have to watch Patti's video.
  • Crystal
    please post a photo. I've had my eye on that wig since it came out.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Shake it. Honestly. I shake every wavy/curly wig I have. I think patty from Patti's pearls has a video on that--I'll have to search for it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.