• Cathe Lartigue
    I"m curious about this because I've done it a couple...no, a few times. Last week it was snowing like crazy when I left work and I didn't have an umbrella so I took my wig off as I approached the parking lot.
    Momma has to protect that Estetica Violet wig more than her bio hair (what's left of it, that is)

I also took my wig off to weigh in at Weight Watchers--remember--every ounce counts when it comes to weigh in!

I also offered to take a topper off when I beeped at the airport but the TSA people were embarassed. I wasn't! They let me go!!

I swear I love wigs because they are a world of fun and surprise!
  • Moonlitnight
    Lol! I LOVE the Weight Watchers part. Too funny. I am still challenging myself to put my wigs ON and go out there. I'll get there. Eventually.
  • Megan Lasuzzo
    LOL! I do this ALL the time and totally forget that people don’t know I’m wearing wigs...it’s really funny to watch their reactions! :lol:
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Right!!!??? I'm so used to wigs these days that I don't even care about my bio hair anymore!!!
  • Cathe Lartigue
    I wear my lightest wig to the meetings too!!!!!
  • Shar W
    I told a few girlfriends at a little get together that I had a topper on because they loved my new look. They were very curious as how it worked and what it looks like off. So I took it off to show them. Otherwise, NO! I won't take it off in public...LOL
  • Doxielover
    I was outed by a tree limb once! On my way in to the pediatricians I was in a hurry and walked under a low hanging branch. My head felt really breezy, and my hair was hanging on the branch. I calmly turned around, grabbed it, got back in the car, put it on, and away I went. I have done everything in wigs..swim,ride in convertibles, and on motorcycles. No one has ever asked, but I would certainly tell them if they did. I had a jealous cousin who told everyone I wore wigs. I would just laugh and say, and you believed her! You know she's always joking.
  • Melody
    I honestly have NIGHTMARES about losing my wig in public!! Never would I take my wig off in public!! I have no hair!!
  • KellyA
    Omg, I have totally forgot my self and started to up clip and adjust in public. Ahhh
  • BeautyWithin
    Try wearing your wig at home and then to a friend's house until you feel more confident. My teen sons were wonderful the first few times I wore mine out. I swear I asked them a hundred times, "Does it still look okay?" Remember you have a right to feel good about yourself. Nobody can take that away from you.
  • Moonlitnight
    I made it to the mail box! :blush:
  • BeautyWithin
    It's a start! Yay You! Take little steps. I promise it will get easier over time. I've been battling hair loss for 2 years, wearing wigs for 1. I had gorgeous curly long bio hair. It was a sad thing to see it go. Most days I feel great about wearing my wig. I definitely feel more confident than when I had super thinning hair on top. And people never believe it's a wig. This is my 2nd in the pic below.
    d5xfcaipbuo2j0kb.jpg
  • Alex Kautz
    only if I have a hat. :)
  • hilea
    This wasn't exactly in public, but I was visiting my mom for the first time wearing a wig. She had several ladies over at her house. My mom was curious what my bio hair looked like, so I pulled off my wig in front of everyone. One of the ladies started crying, and said it was very powerful to see someone pull off their wig without a care, as she had worn turbans for years to cover her hair loss and was embarrassed about it. I hadn't even noticed until she said something. You never know who else you can help by being honest about your own situation.
  • debbieross285
    I look so awful without a wig on that there is no way in the world I will take off that wig! I just want to look normal and fit in - I would stand out too much without it and feel uncomfortable.
  • Dogmom
    No, only because the nature of my business brings me into the public eye so much I have to be careful.
  • Dogmom
    What wig are you wearing you look gorgeous in it.
  • debbieross285
    Thank you! It's Zara by Jon Renau 12FS8. It has the lace front so it's more natural looking. I cut in the bangs because I look horrible without them. I buy Angelica by Noriko too because it's cheaper than Zara but looks the same.
  • rugby
    Never. I have nightmares about it falling off but would will be wearing wigs forever. I am obsessed with them. they have done wonders for me.
  • Moonlitnight
    Ah, I was about to ask the same question. It looks beautiful on you. I have Angelica and Shilo, which are very similar, except for the lack of mono on Angelica.
  • dc21
    No, I would never take my hair off intentionally in public! Yikes!
  • Vee1028
    that is such a touching story. We just never know what another person is dealing with in their own life.
  • Vee1028
    lol....that is absolutely one of the funniest wig stories I have ever heard.
  • Katooshie
    same! Wonders for me too!!
  • HeatherE
    No I can't imagine doing that unless it was absolutely necessary. I wear toppers and those clips make my sad bio hair an absolute hot mess. No one needs to see that. Maaaaaybe my good girl friend, but even then, not so sure. At first I wouldn't in front of my husband, but now i do it all in front of him.
  • A7X
    I got outed by the wind...I have this little faux bun that attaches with a comb and learned the hard way I have to anchor it to my head with bobby pins. I was walking down the street in Philadelphia where I work and the thing blew off my head and was rolling down Market St. like a small blonde tumbleweed with me chasing it frantically. I grabbed it and stuffed it in my bag, so embarrassed! Luckily in Philly everyone has seen everything and no one even batted an eye.
  • crazywiglady
    I throw mine off on the ride home all the time, I'm sure fellow motorist get a good laugh!
  • Toni Warner
    Nope, no one needs to see my little bald head.
  • JanetG
    Ripped that baby off today in my car in the parking lot. The lady in the next car just gaped at me. Couldn't help it. The wig cap was painfully pulling my very thin strands of bio-hair and I couldn't stand it another minute. Ripped off the wig cap, put the wig back on, got out of the car and went into the restaurant. First time for every thing I guess:)
  • rpwatson
    These stories are hilarious. I have never taken mine off in public. If I did people would see how old I really am.
  • Katooshie
    Ain't nobody needs to see my bio fluff! I don't even want to see that! LOL
  • alicexm
    after a day at the beach with the Grands I pulled my wig off in the parking lot for the drive home. The Grands were ok, since they see me with and without at home. The guy in the next car, not so much.
  • samfalcon99
    I take my wigs off occasionally and even put them on sometimes in public. But that's just because I'm lazy. Sometimes I laugh when people look at me funny when I'm doing it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!