• Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Jane W
    I have no idea, but what ever you do, don't wear your synthetic wig when opening a hot oven! I totally ruined my Jon Renau Miranda! :rage:
  • Tanya K
    Synthetic pieces can't be styled with heating tools and as mentioned by JaneW you definitely don't want to be near an oven with one. Heat-friendly pieces can be styles with heating tools. :smile:
  • Deleted User
  • Amber
    I learned that the term "heat friendly" should actually be "heat required" for HD synthetics. The heat helps those frizzy ends on hd synthetics smooth. I get so many messages from unhappy people with their heat friendly pieces. They don't use heat often in fear of damaging, where it actually helps it look nicer, if used properly at a low setting with the right products. Synthetic fibers cannot take heat unless it's a steamer for wigs, and heat friendly can take a low setting using heat tools, and looks better when cared in this way.
  • KellyA
    My heat friendly topper stays smooth. I do have to wash it every 3 wears.
  • PhyllisB
    Jane W, I did the same thing! I was a bonded hair wearer (which was human hair) before switching to a synthetic wig. Shortly after I started wearing it I was cooking and didn't even think about it when I opened the oven door. Oops! I also found out the hard way.
  • Vee1028
    Heat defiant wigs are also wonderful for special occasions when you may be having pictures taken. The hair fibers don't reflect light in the same way as normal synthetic wigs do so you don't get the same shiny look in the pictures.
  • Moonlitnight
    Thanks for that tip. My awful RW Spotlight Elite will get the heat treatment tonight.
  • Deleted User
  • Moonlitnight
    I have read about this but haven't tried it. The Brandi is very shiny in certain lights so I will give it a puff.
  • Vee1028
    I've never felt the need to reduce shine on my wigs. Blond shades seem to be the worst and I seldom wear blond. I have seen many people advise using dry shampoo though...not just to full the shine but to make styling easier, also.
  • Moonlitnight
    OK, I sprayed my ratty-ended HD Spotlight Elite and then used the flatiron. It fizzled but hey! It worked. So thank you Amber!
  • Deleted User
  • Moonlitnight
    Yes, it IS scary Alex.
  • Katooshie
    I ADORE heat friendly synthetics! If I could marry and run away on a sexy honeymoon with my Hairdo pieces...I just might! :) (Hubby could come along to take photos) HAHAHAHA
  • Katooshie
    Dry shampoo definitely takes any Barbie doll hair edge off my Hairdo pieces!
  • Deleted User
  • Moonlitnight
    I wonder if heat defiant synthetics vary as I can't imagine anyone loving RW's "look at me and I will mat for you" fibre.
  • Katooshie
    yes they do vary. My toppers which are supposed to be THE SAME fibre as my extensions DO NOT hold a curl like the extensions do. I wrote to the company to tell them this
  • Moonlitnight
    Interesting. I know other brands have the HD fibres in their wigs but I don't want to try them due to my experience with RW.
  • Lori
    My RW limelight is HD. I use a flat iron on it and it works well. You can even curl it using a flat iron. I also have one of wigs.coms curling irons which has a synthetic option on it. I think the hair is less flowy than the regular synthetic but you get used to working with it.
  • Dogmom
    HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! LMAO Many many times!
  • tomoka

According to Kaneka, a Japanese chemical products company, is one of the major synthetic fiber manufacturers, non heat friendly fiber is made of vinyl chloride and acrylonitrile.
    On the other hand, heat friendly fiber is made of polyethylene terephthalate which is exactly same material of a pet bottle.
    So, material is different between them.

The important thing is both material Flame retardancy. If not, when you open an oven door, your wig fire!!!

http://www.kanekalon-hair.com/en/index.html
  • Deleted User
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.