• HeatherE
    I've bought three toppers since April, when I first started trying helper hair. The first was top wave. I hated the body, the permatease, just everything about it. Then I got the top secret. It was better, but the stylist cut too much off of it and my hair quickly outgrew it. Plus, There's this brown line that runs right over my part line, that I just can't seem to ever hide. Everyone says it's not noticeable unless I point it out but it. drives. me. crazy. So I got a lace front that wasn't a JR product. The top, where my hairline is, just shifts constantly. Tried got2b. Tried some roll on glue. It just moves anyway. I am so tired of not loving my piece. Hell I don't even *like* them. And it takes so long to fuss with it every morning. Ugh. Not sure what to do. I can't just keep buying and buying, hoping that I find some magic piece. And wigs aren't an option I am willing to pursue at this time.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh how annoying but I get you loud and clear. I can't wear my toppers now. I have one in the mail (it will likely go back), my big Milan and the ultra-beautiful Belle Tress lacefront. The Milan ripped my hair out where the front clips are. I am sure it is the same at the back. The lacefront is not taut as it is with a wig and the clips go in the same hairless spot (and so have very little to grab onto). I also get why you are not ready for a wig. I am still "not ready" for a wig and I am wearing them all the time now. Perhaps someone here has another suggestion. I hope so. xo
  • Cathe Lartigue
    My apologies if I seem curt or too blunt but you need to invest in a wig. Toppers are for those with minimal hair loss. They are a pain in the a$$ if you have major hair loss and try desparately to clip the toppers into two or three strands of hair. Add to that the lace rides up. Add to that it takes forever to lay the topper the right way. wigs my friend. Wigs!!!
  • Moonlitnight
    I have never had a problem with fitting mine. I literally slapped them on, clipped and that was it. Maybe I was born with the technique ;) Losing 2" of hair was a BIG shock I can tell you. Just. Not. Worth. It.
  • buckeyegal1963
    I started with a topper too, while I don't really have much hair loss other than some thinning at the temples, my hair had become damaged from home coloring, it was breaking off, leaving me with short hairs sticking out all over the place. I've heard how toppers themselves can cause hair loss and since my goal right now is to get my bio hair healthy, I didn't want to cause further damage by wearing them. I was apprehensive at first to wearing wigs, but when you find the right ones for you, they're great. Even when my hair gets healthy enough to color and heat style, I'm not sure I will want to stop wearing them. They're so easy, saves so much time getting ready to head out the door to work in the morning and look great!
  • Happy to ve Retired
    My advice - at least try a wig. So much more comfortable than toppers. And they dont pull out your hair. And i think less noticeable and so much easier.
  • MarburgGirl
    I bought a topper and it just didn't work for me either. Too much fuss!!! My advice is to go to a wig shop and try on wigs to see what suits you.
  • drift3r
    Oh man! This entire thread makes me so sad! I’m bummed for everyone’s bad topper experiences... I have pretty major hairloss but I still LOVE my toppers and will cling to them as long as I possibly can. I think they’re comfortable, easy to put on, look very natural, and haven’t experienced the issues many here have. I like wigs as well but my head is a bit large for a standard sized cap so they aren’t super comfortable for everyday wear for me. I think we’re all pretty lucky there are soooo many varied options out there for all of us. What works for some may not for others. :hearts:

@HeatherE Whether it be topper or wig, I hope you find hair that you feel comfortable in someday. The search is definitely a never ending roller coaster but in my decade long experience, it’s been a fun ride!!
  • HeatherE
    Thanks. I am going to go back to top secret, but need to order a new one as my hair has outgrown the one I already have. This other brand just looks too fake and i can't get lace to stick to my head to save my life. I just wish I could do something with that brown ridge/band that is at the part of JR's.
  • Katooshie
    i am so glad toppers work for you!! As for big heads and wigs...i think i have a large brain (aka big head lol) and that was a real problem until i started to use the got2b gel to glue the front down. No more small wig bangs creep up my forehead. I felt ready to give up on wigs until i discovered this trick!
  • drift3r
    Hahahaha yes!!! I definitely have a large brain also :joke: I have some roll on glue in my closet that I haven’t dared to test out yet but I think I’ll give it a go if I like any of my new wigs that are on the way! Maybe that will convert me too? Hehehe
  • drift3r
    I’m glad you let us know about the lace front toppers!!! I was definitely very curious how that would work. Now I have my eye on these French Drawn lovelies that JR just debuted. Someday hehehe
  • Katooshie
    let us know if you try the glue. Yesterday i was standing in the wind...my hair blowing around like a farrah fawcett shampoo commercial and i was like HAHAHAHA this is GREAT!!!
  • HeatherE
    I tried the roll on glue and it didn't work at all. I must have a non-stick head or something. Or maybe this particular topper is possessed or something.
  • Shar W
    I didn’t have any issues with toppers staying on my head or hair loss from the clips. But my issue was I have very thin hair at my hair line and I had to use a lot of powder to fill in. Then as my color grew out the gray stood out. I was messing with too many products to make it look realistic. Other than that, I love them. For me the lace fronts work great for updos. My BelleTress ones are awesome for that. But I can’t wear them down because they don’t have enough coverage in the back like my JR Top Secret did. So that’s when I decided to stop coloring my hair and switch to wigs. For me it was just easier.
  • Shar W
    Haha! Maybe your head is to sweaty. I know I had issues if I was too sweaty.
  • Shar W
    Were you posing? Lol! That’s awesome.
  • drift3r
    :rofl: :lol: Non-stick head!!! That really made me chuckle hehehe.
  • Alex Kautz
    wigs my friend. Wigs!!!Cathe Lartigue

Yaaaas!! Wigs are the best :clap:
  • Alex Kautz
    my hair blowing around like a farrah fawcett shampoo commercial and i was like HAHAHAHA this is GREAT!!!Katooshie

I love that feeling!!
  • Katooshie
    yeah like this lol...
    rtsui28cqdgeaw1q.jpg
  • buckeyegal1963
    Are you putting the glue on your forehead in front of your hairline, or are you putting the glue on your hair? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but if you're putting it on your hair it won't work. I've been using the got2b since the weather has been warm, and it stays put even when I get a bit sweaty.
  • HeatherE
    No a thin layer on my head, with my hairline pulled back. Not sweaty. I keep my house set at 68 degrees, because perimenopause. :rofl:
  • Katooshie
    I put on wig cap about 1/4" behind my hairline then apply the glue along that hair line and onto the wig cap as well. A generous pea sized blob from center to left and a pea sized blob from center to right i leave out the ear tab area so i can get my glasses on to read! This works so well i cant get the wig off unless i wet the glue down to loosen it
  • Alex Kautz
    does it ever rip out any of your biohair when taking off?
  • BeautyWithin
    I'll second that emotion...
  • Katooshie
    no because i put a damp wash cloth along the hairline and it dissolves the gel. Have you tried it? I went plant shopping in a wind storm and rocked that glued hair like a breezy boss! No problems at all!
  • Katooshie
    i never thought i would like wigs more than toppers and extensions but i must agree with @Cathe Lartigue that wigs are the way. Once you find the right wig and learn to lay it with got2b glued theres just no comparison with how good a wig feels and looks vs. Toppers/extensions imho (the exception of course being @drift3r who could wear a skunk clipped to her head and look like a star! Lol)
  • Alex Kautz
    wow! that is awesome, I am definitely going to get some :D

Plant shopping in a wind storm has always been a dream of mine! :rofl: :wink:
  • Moonlitnight
    Plant shopping in a wind storm has always been a dream of mine!Alex Kautz

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!