• KellyA
    What do you all do for a living
  • Katooshie
    Fashion stylist and business owner. Taking time off to recover from auto immune disorder
  • BeatA
    Anesthesiologist
  • Moonlitnight
    Medical writer/researcher, graphic designer/magazine publisher. Health and wellness writer. Reiki practitioner. What about you?
  • Shar W
    Medical Coding Manager.
  • KellyA
    that is COOL. I would love to be in medicine
  • Moonlitnight
    That sounds intriguing!
  • Moonlitnight
    Ah yes, I remember you mentioned an interview. Lots of lucky vibes headed your way! xo
  • BeatA
    yeah it’s actually pretty cool and it’s my dream job ( pun intended). It’s really exhausting though and not a job where you can age well. Lots of stress... but I do love it.
  • KellyA
    oddly enough I love being put under. It is the most peaceful
  • KellyA
    super wierd right?
  • Moonlitnight
    I like being fussed over, wrapped in a warm thinggy, and sent off to sleep :)
  • buckeyegal1963
    I'm the opposite, I have a fear of being put under, I had the option when I got all my wisdom teeth pulled years ago, but I went with Novocaine and nitrous oxide.

As far what I do for a living, my title is home furnishing consultant aka I sell furniture and mattresses.
  • dc21
    My mother aspirated under anesthesia. There are risks!
  • buckeyegal1963
    Wow, I'm sorry dc21. Yes, there are risks, but sometimes it's necessary, luckily the procedures that I've had in the past I was given an option if I wanted a local or general anaesthesia. @BeatAYes, I can imagine it's very stressful, but rewarding as well.
  • BeatA
    yes, general anesthesia or any anesthesia for that matter ( you can aspirate under nitrous and sedation too @buckeyegal1963) is no joke. This is the reason why you can’t eat before surgery, but even then some people have delayed stomach emptying and other reasons, so there are always risks, which is why this is a very stressful job. I worry ALL THE TIME. we have to be ready for sudden emergencies at all time, you just never know. We are the ultimate boy and girl Scouts: always prepared.
    @dc21 I hope you mom
    Recovered?
  • BeatA
    My favorite is doing epidurals in Labor and Delivery, but we have a lot of high risk pregnancies, so also very stressful, but it just never gets old to see babies born and to be there and help moms in the most stressful and the happiest days of their lives. It’s pretty special.
  • buckeyegal1963
    I developed toxemia with my first daughter and had to have an unexpected c-section 3 weeks early, and yes it was stressful and scary. I wasn't thinking about the risk to me that day, but to my daughter. My blood pressure shot up crazy high and they said I could have a stroke if they didn't do the c-section....and yes the happiest day, a day I'll never forget.
  • Misty
    Hi Kelly my husband and I own our own business, in the HVAC industry (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning). We do large commercial constructions only, for example hospitals, universities,, high rise resorts. We also run a service division. Keeps me really busy! Thank goodness for fantastic staff - they make it all worthwhile :smile:
  • Moonlitnight
    This happened to me, but to a lesser degree. My stomach hadn't emptied properly because I had been given morphine the night before.
  • BeatA
    I’m sure you “loved” the Magnesium infusion...
    Yes your case is the perfect example of where a good anesthesiologist can make a difference. It’s funny how many women remember their anesthesiologist from their c section. I sometimes get stopped in the hallway by a staff person who tells me that I did their anesthesia for their c section. It’s very flattering. Most people ( other than OB patients) never remember us. And that’s fine, we work in the background and don’t really need any glory, but sometimes it feels nice to be recognized.
  • BeatA
    yep opioid will do that for sure!
  • Shar W
    Funny! I do too. My friends think I am crazy.
  • drift3r
    and @Moonlitnight I’ll be in your club... I also like being put under. It’s only happened to me twice but both times I woke up feeling like I’d had the best sleep of my life. :joke:

Also, to answer the thread question.. I work for a financial firm. My job is super varied day to day but my primary recurring responsibilities are things like fund performance reporting, equity trade execution, solicitor supervision etc. I used to be a financial advisor for a bank but didn’t enjoy how “salesy” it felt so moved to more of an analytical role and I love my job now! I’ve been in the industry over 10 years now! :hearts:
  • dc21
    No, she was put on a ventilator and passed away almost two weeks later. This was nearly three months ago. She didn't go under as a healthy person, she had Lymphoma that likely contributed to the aspiration. I had never considered that complication because she had so many other successful procedures over her lifetime. :cry:
  • BeatA
    oh I am so sorry this is just awful and it’s so recent too! On of my fellow anesthesiologist at work lost her mom to aspiration as well. She had colon cancer and was going to have a CT scan she drank a bunch of contrast and then aspirated that in the scanner. She had a ( partial) bowel obstruction and when she started vomiting in the scanner she aspirated contrast.
    Aspirations are our ( anesthesiologists’) nightmares. This is why we cancel surgeries when people recently ate or drank something. Everyone hates us for it, but we know why we do it.
    When someone has a bowel obstruction or other condition then sometimes it is not predictable or avoidable, but at least we try to avoid the ones we can.
    Again I am so sorry dc21. It is such an unexpected and sudden way to lose your loved one and the agony of seeing them on a ventilator for weeks in the ICU is just unbearable, sorry you had to go through that.
    Sorry @KellyA for hijacking your thread like this.
  • Alex Kautz
    Work at Beauty and Hair, i'm also a student, and a musician! And YouTube video creator.. lol! :rofl:
  • KellyA
    I had 4 csections. The first was after a LONG 4 day labor. Epidurals don't work on everyone and I was counting on that. Anyway, I aparently have a dense spine and it takes a couple of seasoned pros to get a needle between my vertebrae. Shiver*. I remember all the people who tried. The most chatty one was the best.
  • dc21
    Thank you! I can imagine your job is rewarding, but also emotionally and physically draining at times! I feel awful for your coworker's family, it is devastating to lose a loved one so suddenly.

*(For the thread topic) I was a full-time mom for 19 years. I entered the work force again about four years ago. I worked at an attraction until some months back when I quit to be with my mom. I am going to start job hunting again in August. Now that all of my kids are grown, I have enjoyed working and hope it doesn't take me too long to land another job.
  • Katooshie
    can you post more music vids? My daughter sings, plays guitar and writes her own songs. She just moved into her own place and i miss hearing her sing and play each night. Her music is the sound track to my life!
  • Alex Kautz
    Yes, I absolutely will have some coming!! <3 <3 <3
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh my heavens, you poor girl. I just cannot imagine this. I had a spinal tap when I contracted meningitis and it was awful. Also, FOUR days??? I am surprised the medical folks allowed it to go on for so long. Were any of those days Braxton Hicks? I am squirming just thinking about this. I am so sorry about your mother and I wish you a speedy new vocation. I have the most profound respect for anaesthesiologists, I have had the same one twice and I prayed for him the second time. He was one of the kindest and most beautiful people. He had experienced a terrible accident and was extremely scarred but his beauty shone through. I totally fancied him and was pee'd that he saw me without makeup. I was the PR and Communications director at Our major hospital at the time and flitted up and down outside of his office "in full face" but he never came out to see me looking normal. Just as well because it was there that I met the love of my life.
    We need more vids!!!
  • Shar W
    I love your vids!!!!!
  • Alex Kautz
    Thank you!! I have been working on getting my voice back into shape (practicing 2+ hours daily) so haven't had a ton of time to make any new ones, but I definitely will have some coming soon. :) <3
  • KellyA
    not Braxton hicks. My water broke so they started contractions with induced labor. There was a lot of staff changes so people kept saying I was close
  • Moonlitnight
    Poor you. But at least there was a reward at the end.
  • KellyA
    If it was really bad I wouldn't have done it 4 times
  • Moonlitnight
    Lol! My mum always said "Nature makes you forget." I only have one because I have a very good memory :)
  • Tammy
    I am a juvenile probation officer, basically (called a Service Coordinator) for the state.
  • KellyA
    that sounds interesting!
  • BeatA
    that sounds hard! Probably a lot of sad stories.
  • PinkEvie
    I haven't worked for 9 years due to my car accident that left me disabled, but I do miss working, the people you meet, the routine.
  • Moonlitnight
    :hearts: That is what I miss...the everyday interaction. I have worked independently for over 37 years but had my sweetie to talk to. If he was at work, he would call me maybe six times a day. We were such an item! I don't miss the routine or getting up at 5:00 to apply all the makeup and style the fluff.
  • Alex Kautz
    style the fluff.Moonlitnight

i'm going to start using that hehe :kiss:
  • BeautyWithin
    I'm a mostly stay at home home schooling mom. Oldest is almost done college so I guess I'm slowly working myself out of a job. Haha! I also do marketing and communications in real estate for my friend. She's so flexible and understanding with all Matt's medical issues. I would love to write books....dream job.
  • BeautyWithin
    As of last Tuesday, UMMS said there is nothing more they can do for him. Doctor was very apologetic . It was a hard thing to hear. We are possibly heading to Mayo in July. After they review and accept his case we are working out the details. They also have one of the few EDS clinics in the country. The good news is he has gained some weight. Yay!!! We are seeing a local surgeon next week to get more info on a possible blockage in his intestines/bowel. We will not give up until we have answers and he is healthy again. Mama Bear Power...grrrr....
  • Katooshie
    you GO momma bear. It took me TWO YEARS to get my son's brain tumour diagnosed! Doctors kept tsk tsk me and calling me "over protective" and "paranoid!" A momma KNOWS! The good news is...where doctors say there is nothing more they can do WE know that God can do the "impossible". So we continue our prayers for FULL RECOVERY for Matt. And we wont stop til he gets his full health back yes?? Great news he's gaining weight! Keep us posted. Love you and your family! :)
  • Moonlitnight
    That is very disheartening to hear, but excellent that Max has gained some weight. Sometimes finding the answer takes a long time, even though it's been there all along. Hugs to you and your family. @Katooshie that makes me angry! I had to fight and fight for my husband and some of the things the doctors and nurses said to me were appalling. It is clear that some of them had never really loved. I am so glad that you fought hard because a lot of people would just go along with what was said to them. Moms rule.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!