• DeniseJH
    Hi! I'm very new to wigs - I have received my first (Girl Mono by Ellen Wille) but am not real happy with it. I've ordered some thinning shears and will give it a try, but I am accepting that this one might be a loss. Arriving tomorrow is Modern Motif by Gabor, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to love, although color might be in question. But.....my question is, when wearing a lace front wig do you try like crazy with makeup to make the lace as unnoticeable as possible, or do you just accept the fact that up close some people are going to notice it?
  • buckeyegal1963
    Hi Denise, welcome to the forums! I'm pretty new myself to wigs, it's only been a couple of months. I have a couple of Jon Renau wigs, a Raquel Welch and a Belle Tress (haven't worn that one out yet). Mine all look realistic and I haven't used any make up or concealer on them. My coworkers know that I've been wearing them and they're amazed how realistic the hairline looks. Do you have a lot of excess lace? You may have to trim it if so.
  • DeniseJH
    Hi, thanks for your response. I just got "Girl Mono" back out, and yes I'd say it looks like it could use just a tad bit of trimming. Maybe that wasn't even what I really wanted to know - I think maybe what I'm asking is are you comfortable knowing that others might/will probably realize that you're wearing a wig? Does this attitude come with time, or do you just kind of say: "Screw it, who cares?"
  • buckeyegal1963
    I have most of my bio hair, although it's always been on the thin side, and now it's thinning at the temples/hairline. However it had become really damaged from home coloring and was breaking and looked awful. So the first wig I bought was very close to my bio hair and color, not one person realized it was a wig. These are people who see me everyday, they just thought I went to a salon and got a great cut and highlight job. I told them it was a wig though, and one of my coworkers who used to be a hair dresser, got up real close to my face and said she couldn't believe how realistic, that she never would have guessed I was wearing a wig if I hadn't told her. So if you're uncomfortable about anyone realizing you're wearing a wig, it's best to start with a style and color close to your own bio hair. Now I've been wearing one that's a few inches longer, so even if they didn't know before I'm sure they suspected when one day my hair is just above my shouders, then the next it's a couple inches below. So I guess I got to the point "Screw it, who cares?" pretty quickly. Even when and if my hair becomes healthier, I may still wear them, I love hair that looks great and get compliments on and it saves a lot of time in the morning getting ready.
  • BeatA
    I’ve worn wigs for over 20 years and by now have had zero bio hair for the past 15+ years. The screw it who cares attitude is relatively new for me. I just recently came out of the wig closet fully. Most of my friends and family know and now at work I show up in different wigs all the time so if they have t caught on then they’re not paying attention. At this point I well into my fifties and don’t care anymore, but like I said that’s relatively new.
    I got a new wig a few months ago that I took to a salon to have it trimmed and even the stylist didn’t notice it was a wig until I lifted the lace front, so to others it is a lot less noticeable than you think.

PS welcome to the forum!
  • Katooshie
    i totally dont care if people know its a wig as long as its FABULOUS! :) my personal motto is DONT BE BORING!
  • DeniseJH
    Thank you - my hair has been thinning over the past 10-12 years due to thyroid issues. I'd been using those touch up powders pretty successfully, but now my hair is just too thin and scraggly. I know that wigs are my future, I guess I just have to get comfortable with that.
  • Katooshie
    i just started wearing wigs after years of using extensions. Wigs are WONDERFUL. They are so FREEING! And FUN! Once you get used to it you will love it. One thing i do recommend highly is using got2b glued gel to stick your wig on. Since i started doing that i feel so much more secure and EXCITED about wigs!
  • DeniseJH
    Hi, and thanks BeatA! I'm in my 50's as well, so hopefully that attitude will come quickly! A lot of these wigs really are beautiful, aren't they? Actually, I'm really excited about "Modern Motif" arriving tomorrow. It's very similar to what I would do with my hair back when I could achieve more volume. Just hope I can pull it off.
  • DeniseJH
    Hi and thanks Katooshie! Yes, I've armed myself with both types of got2b, one of those band thingies, and ItStays...hopefully something will work! I like and agree with "Don't be boring", but am still self-conscious. Gotta work on that! "Don't be boring, be fabulous!" That's an awesomel attitude!
  • buckeyegal1963
    I understand Denise, I was apprehensive about wearing a wig out in public the first couple of times, so I did what someone here had suggested when I was new, I wore it to a different grocery store than I normally frequent, where it was unlikely I would bump into someone I know. I did this a couple of times to become comfortable wearing one. Did I feel selfconscious? Yep. Did I wonder if people were noticing I was wearing a wig? Yep, but it helped me to feel more comfortable wearing one, and when I eventually did wear it to my workplace, well as I said, not a single one of them knew I was wearing a wig. I told them, we're all pretty close and friendly with each other, and now a few of them have been asking me about this site. If you have enough bio hair, you can start with a topper, several ladies here wear them, I have one myself, tho I wear my wigs more often.
  • DeniseJH
    I thought about toppers - but figured I might as well just jump in head first, since I knew that's where I'm going to end up anyway. I like the idea of introducing it slowly. Getting used to the idea. Honestly, I don't even leave the house that often, so I don't know why I'm hesitant. Just change, I guess.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Well you'll find plenty of encouragement, support, tips, advice, answers to questions you may have here Denise. Start slow, even if it's just wearing it around the house until you become accustomed to wearing a wig...even if it's baby steps, it's still steps, you'll get there :smile:
  • Misty
    Hi DeniseJH and welcome to this forum. Everyone is really supportive and there is a lot of advice available. I have been wearing wigs for almost 30 years, I have Hashimotos disease (thyroid disorder) as well as other issues that means I have little bio hair. I love the lace front wigs, and I do trim the lace back almost to the hairline so it is not noticable.
    I agree with BeatA that a lot of people will not notice you are wearing a wig, unless you tell them. I was in hospital for a week after surgery, and it was only on day 3 that the nurse I had, called me on my wig - purely because it looked too good (ie looked great!!) after 3 days in a hospital bed! We got chatting about the cost of my hair, compared to the treatments she had to pay on her own long locks.
    The best advice I was given quite some time ago was to "own" your wig. When you wear your wig (your hair) with confidence, it is yours, people will notice you and your personality, not just your hair. I hope this helps :hearts:
  • DeniseJH
    Haha! I love that story!! I'm looking forward to my main concern being that my hair looks "too good"!!! Thank you so much - with each one of you and your positive responses I'm feeling more and more confidant and excited about all of the options out there. Thank you!
  • Moonlitnight
    Hello Denise and welcome to the forum. Good to have another hair sister here! I have only been wearing wigs for three months and also toppers, one of which has a lace front. I honestly can't see the lace fronts so I wouldn't expect others too unless they are VERY familiar with lace front wigs. That rules the majority out. I still am not 100% confident and I am way less so around people I know. My close friends know I wear wigs because they saw the transition from fluff to actual strands that resemble hair. What concerns me are local store staff, as I live in a very small village and everyone checks everyone else out. Most of them did a double-take when I walked through wearing my Brandi and even more of a double-take now that I am wearing Raquel Welch's Spotlight with its incredibly natural lace front and monotop. I can just see the cogs turning. They can't figure it out! I am getting to the "to heck with them" mentality but I am not there yet. :smile:
  • Vee1028
    I've been wearing wigs for a few years now and my boyfriend still can't tell when I have a wig on or just wearing my own hair. Lace fronts make it virtually impossible for most people you meet to tell you're wearing a wig. Is yours that noticeable?
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • Katooshie
    yes its quite an amazing change when your hair looks "too good!" When you start getting compliments it really boosts your confidence and self esteem. Yesterday a server at restaurant told me she loved my hair in front of my husband and daughter. After she left my husband said "i want a wig" lol
  • Katooshie
    us divas understand this :) bring out that inner Beyonce!
  • dc21
    Sometimes you have to cut the lace front back close to the knots. I personally cut a light bang in to hide the mesh and knots. I would never let my lace front show. It looks fake and elicits stares. JR rooted blondes, which I wear, are obvious in sunlight and store/office lighting. It doesn't look like scalp. Light blondes can be pretty convincing though. Gabor usually has pretty good lace fronts, hopefully you will like that one more when you receive Modern Motif. Estetica and RW have the best lace fronts imo.
  • Happy to ve Retired
    I wear JR lace fronts. I thought about using tye jon renau pinking shears on the lace front so it is less of a line. Has anyone tried that?
  • DeniseJH
    Hi and thanks Moonlitnight! I know what you mean - I'm torn between the "who cares, there's no shame in wearing a wig" and "OMG I hope no one can tell this is a wig" lines of thought. I just have to keep reminding myself that for me, a beautiful (fabulous!) wig is going to look a lot better than a half bald head!
  • DeniseJH
    I thought the lace was pretty noticeable on "Girl Mono". I pulled it back out of the box and yes, I think it could do with a little trimming. I have to get some good scissors though as I want a nice smooth cut. I thought "Modern Motif" was going to arrive today - but now it looks like it's going to be tomorrow. I hope the lace looks good on this one!
  • DeniseJH
    Yes, that is what I want to do! I've just got to get a good pair of shears. I'll check those out!!
  • Moonlitnight
    a beautiful (fabulous!) wig is going to look a lot better than a half bald head!DeniseJH

Yes indeed :)
  • Katooshie
    yep thats where i stand...pretty much any wig is going to look better than my bio hair...it would just be impolite of me to go out in public with my bio fluff showing!
  • Vee1028
    please don't cut the lace until you are certain you can't wear it otherwise. Take a look at this video. Patti shows how she cuts her lace and also how she does the "circle, circle, press, press" when putting on her lace fronts. Watch both videos.

https://youtu.be/X9tRHsAtbCE

https://youtu.be/MtBhpFIcV1k
  • buckeyegal1963
    I wear JR Kristen and Minka in a rooted blonde and they haven't elicited any stares. I've got more compliments on my hair the last couple of months than I ever did with my bio hair. I usually tell them it's a wig, and they tell me it looks so natural, they wouldn't have guessed it wasn't real.
  • dc21
    I cut the lace back, but it doesn't "melt" into my complexion. The grid like appearance reflects off of the light. I have had people look at my hairline and not my face when they talk to me. I like bangs anyway, so a simple fix for me.
  • DeniseJH
    Thank you Vee, I will check those out!
  • Shar W
    I hate it when people do that!
  • Moonlitnight
    I had that today. There is a lady in a local coffee shop who had very fine hair. She must have noted that mine was fine when I moved here as, when I first went in there wearing my Brandi, she just couldn't take her eyes off my hairline. Today, I went in wearing the Sugar Rush which has roots. I swear we had the entire ordering conversation without her looking once at my face. Then she said, "Oh I LOVE your nails!" Lol. She is very sweet though.
  • Cathe Lartigue
    My attitude is screw it. You have to be standing too close to my personal space to see my hairline! I have Mosern Motif. The hairline is excellent!!!!
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.