• Moonlitnight
    I keep getting little crushes on various wigs only to be let down when I wear them. I feel uncomfortable mentally in all the wigs I own. Tonight, friends kept asking me what was going on with my hair (it was Spotlight, flopping in my face and apparently with strands that were "sticking up in the sunlight.") Brandi is just looking like a really baaad wig that is way too thick and doesn't have a lace front, and I haven't tried on Shilo for ages as I seem to remember the fullness looking silly (and it doesn't have a lace front either). Short wigs are not my thing. I'm scared to get Alessandra or Sarah due to the darkness of the blondes and the apparent over-shiny appearance. Maybe it is time for human hair. Anyone else have this problem?
  • buckeyegal1963
    Yep, I had such high expectations for Peppermint, and I'm just not feeling her at all. I haven't tried using a curling iron on it yet, but I don't hold out much hope. Have you tried thinning your Brandi or Shilo yet?
  • Moonlitnight
    No, I haven't but they aren't lace fronts and I really like that look. I am attacking Brandi hopefully this weekend. I am so sorry about the peppermint. It is so disappointing when this happens :( xo
  • BeatA
    @Moonlitnightyes I agree there is always something...but in the end whatever hair I wear will beat my naked bald head so there is that!
    Just tell
    Yourself how much better you look in your faux hair than you would with your biohair or no hair or whatever you are left with at this point. And sometimes the journey is fun too. The anticipation the experimentation with the scissors the hairstyling tools etc etc. it’s like having a hobby for me. And I met all you wonderful ladies ( plus Alex!)
  • PinkEvie
    what a lovely way of putting it.:blush:
  • Sunset
    Yes, it is always something. i feel like I must be very picky, but with the money these wigs cost I expect more. I'm confused with the human hair wigs. I have one, and it's held up really well. I even can throw it in the drawer, & when I want to wear it there's no problem with the way it looks. I have a fall from many years ago, and I have abused it with a steaming hot curl iron & it actually really still looks good. Then I bought a human hair topper, and I've worn it twice & it looks like a rats nest. It's very sad what it looks like & I paid $500.00 for it. I paid $450.00 for the HH wig, & as I said it's holding up well. When I've washed it, I'm not having to do anything special. I just wash it, put any kind of conditioner on it and lay it flat on a towel. Same with the fall. When I complained to the place I bought the topper from, they said I had to use their special conditioner & that I had to spend time blowing it dry. I don't want to do that. I looked at it again yesterday & it's frizzy with wavy kinks in it. It also has such a dark brown rooting I never liked. I sprayed some blonde root spray on it & am surprised that lightened it up. I would love to get another human haired wig & this time with a lace front & more of a mono part. I just get scared to spend all that money & then have it looked trashed the first time I wash it. It shouldn't be that way, there should be some kind of guarantee that's not going to happen with as much as they cost. I've read where this has happened with some women with these so called HH wigs. It's got to be bad human hair if it does that. I don't know how someone would know, because they spray them with all this stuff to make them look good when you first purchase them. I see in videos how they say someone needs to wash their HH wig first after receiving it. I don't want to that, I want to wear it immediately. (LOL) The feel of the HH on my fall & wig is much nicer than any of the synthetic ones. I would be scared to order a HH wig on line, but they cost more to get out of a wig store & would they be any better?
  • Moonlitnight
    Hi Beata! I thought you'd be in Africa by now. You make a really interesting point. I just wrote a series of articles on what time is, how we can lengthen it when it appears to be speeding up as we grow older, and various other aspects. The research was fascinating. You mention anticipation, and this lengthens our perspective on time when recalled following the event. Long planning for a holiday, for example, or buying a wig too I guess! However, for me, it's not really a pleasure. It's interesting, but I fret about the money aspect, and looking fake. I was wearing my Spotlight last night when the friends commented about the stray hairs glinting in the sunlight and falling in my eyes. Across the marina was a really beautiful woman in her 60s. I mean Dynasty gorgeous. She was wearing a RW wig and we locked eyes for a few seconds, then both smiled those funny little knowing smiles. It was Biscuit as well, but short and very full. She didn't look at all wiggy and I guess it bothers be that I can't seem to get it right. enjoy your vacay and remember, this will make your life appear longer in retrospect. All novel experiences do. xo

I hear everything you have written. I find it hard to believe that a faulty item would require a tag to be attached, to be refunded or credited. Sometimes the faults are not immediately obvious, like with my Spotlight lump. I know with my bonded extensions, human remy hair is waaay superior to synthetic. Mine are always in great shape and they are on my head 24/7 for four or five months. I read somewhere that someone bought a very expensive HH wig, wore it for a week, then decided to wash it. In her words, she ended up with one very large dreadlock. Blake has been calling my name for a long time, in the strawberry blonde colour. I saw Hayley review it and fell in love. Do you dry the HH wig when you are wearing it?
  • Sunset
    No, I have just let my human hair wig dry on a towel. When it's just slightly damp I hang it over a flower vase. I've put on the HH wig when my bio hair is wet, and it's great to just run out of the door with wet hair no one would ever know I have under it. I never put one of my synthetic wigs on with my bio hair wet; I feel maybe it's too delicate to do that, but I could be wrong. I have put on my HH wig when it's slightly damp and worn it around the house until it dries. I just use the curling iron on the ends of it after it dries, but it really doesn't look bad straight because it is nice & smooth. I bought this from a wig store, so I know now I really got a good deal only paying $450.00 for it.

It does concern me how I've read so many women paying close to $2,000.00 for a beautiful HH wig with all the bells & whistles, & then have it look like a trashed mess within weeks. This is not fair or right to have happen. It has to be bad HH or a mixture of a lot of different HH mixed together. Someone should be able to know, and I don't know how anyone would really know unless they were an expert on this. It concerns me that so many women are tricked with this, and then there's nothing they can do about it once it happens.
  • Moonlitnight
    It concerns me that so many women are tricked with this, and then there's nothing they can do about it once it happens.Sunset
    Yes. It is outrageous, given the cost.
  • Katooshie
    For myself the secret has been consistency. I started out wearing extensions and i stuck with the same brand and color for years. People around me and myself got used to seeing me with a nice volume of hair. When tranisitioning to wigs i stuck with the exact same company that made my extensions and the exact same colour. Nobody even noticed the change. The only thing i had trouble with was the wig sliding back but got2b glued solved that problem. Now i just wear the same wig daily. Its long and thick enough hair to style different ways so i dont get bored. I think you may have problems because you keep trying different wigs so people around you notice the changes. You may want to just stick with one and...even though its not perfect (no wig is perfect) and let yourself and your friends adapt to it. Its somewhat shocking and unsettling to others when they cant depend on your image to be consistent.
  • Moonlitnight
    Good point EXCEPT that both the people I hang with appear not to have a clue that I have changed wigs. For example (and this one was hard for me to believe) I went out with M the other day for lunch. I was wearing my Belle Tress in the Apple Pie colour with dark roots. There are a whole lot of little flyaways along the lace front and these were tickling my nose and being very annoying. The wig has very little hair as well, which is fine as I don't like a lot of hair. So we had a discussion about this wig. Two days later, M and I went out again and I was wearing Spotlight which is an entirely different colour and has no dark roots. The style is completely different. I'd just washed it and the bangs were falling forwards and driving me crazy over dinner. On the way back, I mentioned this and she said that she could see all the little hairs that were tickling my nose this time. I told her it was a different wig and she was really surprised.
    My problems are not with friends but with my own dissatisfaction with the wigs I own. Each one has its merits but also a lot of negatives like the horrible matted and burned looking ends of the fibres, or the colour. If I could find the right colour and fibre, then I would stick with it.
  • Sunset
    I've worn a different topper before around my niece. She said the last time I saw her that my hair looked lighter & I just said yes it is. I think she just thinks I lightened it; I have never told her I'm wearing a topper. I'm too embarrassed, she's got a good head of hair & people that do just don't understand. I'd rather people think it's my hair, and I gladly accept compliments I never received with my bio hair. My bio hair does not hold color at all, that's another pathetic thing about it. After I color it, I have to either put a rinse over the top to blend it in, or I spray root spray on it. So my bio hair was always sort of looking a few shades lighter or darker anyway. I'm sticking with the 14/26S10 in the John Renau, & if it's a little different in style I don't think people really know. I made a video of myself in the Drew wig & sent it to my friend over the Iphone. I didn't mention my hair because I was just talking to her in the video. She did send me a text saying my hair looked good. When I used to wear my fall, my own daughter didn't know I was wearing it. I think she just figured I teased my hair & curled it. I wore it in an acting class to have more confidence to get up in front of people. One lady pointed at me & told this other young lady in the class she should wear her hair like mine. I felt really bad for this lady because her hair looked exactly like my bio hair. I couldn't tell I was wearing a fall because I just couldn't give away my secret especially in there. I did feel good that the teacher evidently liked my human hair fall.
  • Moonlitnight
    I just smile and say thanks as well. I used to feel guilty but not any more. I have been using Roux Fancifull in Sweet Crème. It colours my hair exactly the same as Biscuit. What is a "fall? A topper?
  • Sunset
    A fall is something that was very popular many years ago. It's a long hair piece you clip on the top back part of your head & then you flip your own hair over the top of it. They don't seem to make them anymore & I don't get it. A topper is sort of like a fall, but it covers the entire top of your head like a wig, but it is smaller & you can incorporate your own hair with it. I like sometimes wearing one, because since they're smaller I can wear my hair half up or clip it up on the sides easier. They are much cooler to wear also, but then the clips after awhile can hurt. Some of my toppers clips don't really hurt. I've heard of women losing their hair where the clips are clipped in, & that scares me. Yet I've read where some women have said they've been wearing them for 10 years & haven't lost any hair from the clips. It's good to change the clips into different places, or if you're wearing different toppers those clips are usually in somewhat of a different area. I also use that Roux fanci-full in the golden spell color. It really helps, I've even put it on a few wigs. I really like the everpro gray away temporary root concealer to add more color into my hair. I used it on one wig that had skunk like highlights I didn't like, and it blended them out nicely.
  • Katooshie
    they call them half wigs now. A lot of the african american wig companies make them. If you can find the right color and style of african american wig youve got it made because they are so much better quality and price than brands like RW etc.
  • Sunset
    I've seen those, but they in the blonde colors. I do see a lot of African American wigs that look really nice & they are inexpensive too. They are better quality, and I've watched some of their videos because of anyone who would know what to do with wigs & hairpieces they do. I'm impressed with some of the things they do & how good they look..
  • Moonlitnight
    so much better quality and price than brands like RW etc.Katooshie
    Tell me about it.
  • Vee1028
    I can see why a human hair wig might not look good if you just laid it on a towel to dry. I would imagine it would look a lot like my hair if I shampooed it and just let it dry. You really do have to use a blow dryer or flat iron to make it look right.
  • Vee1028
    I smiled when you mentioned falls. When I was 18 my best friend and I went to Cosnotology school. We spent a lot of our down time doing each others hair. She had a long fall that she wore constantly. I don't think I've seen one since then!
  • Vee1028
    I am so interested in the articles you've written on time and anticipation. Is there someplace I could find these?
  • Erzsike
    Moonlight, I am also interested in the articles on time and anticipation. Is there a link you can provide? Are these published? I admire your intelligence to write such things. As for for your initial topic, I get disappointed too. I don't have a lot of $$ to buy different kinds of wigs. For now I am consistent with Harper. I ordered a new one on sale and it came last week. It was straight!!! Harper is supposed to have curl. Sent her back and the company agreed that there was something wrong. I have opted for them to get me another and they will inspect it before they send it. So, there is something wrong with the manufacturer (Henry Margu) for letting this faulty style pass. I am mentioning this to concur with your disappointment. BeatA makes a good point that some hair is better than going bald. For your stray hairs, do you use a bit of hair spray to calm them down? xxoo
  • Moonlitnight
    Good morning E. The articles are for a new website that won't be launched until late this year. It is all about health and spirituality and life hacks. I am only writing about two thirds of it as it is over 300 pages. The website owner will have to review the articles first. I took some of the work of Dr. David Eagleman (of "The Brain" fame) and also a book by John-Paul Zogby:The Power of Time Perception, This was a fascinating read.
  • Erzsike
    Good Morning!!! Well, when it is launched I would love to read your work. Anything about the brain is fascinating to me. Going to check out the book you mentioned above, The Power of Time Perception. Love that kind of stuff. You know, this site is enriching in so many ways. Enjoy your day!
  • Sunset
    The HH fall I have is 27 yrs. old. I used to wear it all the time, but the last time I put it on I can see I now haven't got enough hair to cover it very well. The base of it is only about four by four inches, and I would always clip the one side up & let the other side hang down. A guy in a wig store made it especially for me because I told him I didn't want too much hair, but wanted to make it look fuller. I can't believe how good the hair still looks good on this fall with it being that old, & with all the times I put a hot curling iron on the ends of it. I am surprised they don't still make them. I know they make the half wigs, but those are much larger. I do remember many years ago women always wearing falls. I wore cascades & wiglets all the time. No one thought a thing about it then, because almost all women wore them. My hair used to look like old pictures you see of Priscilla Presley with the beehive hairdo. This is revealing how old I am. (LOL)
  • Moonlitnight
    I don't remember falls and I am sure I am old enough. Maybe they weren't in the UK. I've work extensions for many years and no one ever guessed but then, I noticed that I could see a shiny scalp when standing under the bathroom light in my old house. It bothered me but I didn't think of wearing a wig. In fact, when I went to a hair extension place that wasn't my usual one, the consultant there told me I needed a "hair system" i.e. a topper as well. I thought this was very rude. No way would I wear a topper! When I came here a year ago, I was looking to "lose" a client and thinking of ways to reduce costs as there is now just me. I was looking at the price of clip-in extensions instead of my hyper-expensive bonded ones and saw a wig (Alessandra). I ordered two Alessandras in different colours and both went back. I am trying to get my hair back from breakage but now I'm hooked on the look of full hair.
  • Sunset
    I tried the clip on extensions & I couldn't cover them up well with my hair. I know what you're saying about getting hooked on fuller hair. I'm not going to run around with this stringy, thin hair when they have so many nice wigs. When I went into a wig store ,I was appalled how the lady kept tapping me on top of my head telling me I needed more hair there. As if I didn't know. I finally asked if she would please stop tapping me on the head. I felt it was very rude. I was in there to get help not to be insulted.
  • Moonlitnight
    OMH that is unbelievably rude. Tapping??? That is such an obnoxious gesture anyway. I would have tapped her right back - on her nose. I could never wear the clip-ins for the same reason. A waft of wind and you can see them. The bonded ones are also obvious if your hair is parted, in the supermarket lineup, for example. I have only one bundle and they are put in very low. With the recent loss and thinning/breakage, you can even see these. I really loved wearing a topper until I spotted two huge bald patches where the front clips went. There are probably similar ones at the back. I was wondering why my topper felt less secure and that was why.
  • Sunset
    My human hair wig does look when I lay it on a towel & let it air dry. Another topper I have that's supposed to be human hair does not look good when I do this. This has to be a huge difference in the type of human hair. Even my own bio hair I can let air dry, & it dries straight where I don't have to blow it dry to have it be straight. I was shocked once when I was somewhere & my bio hair was still kind of damp. The ladies in there told me how lucky I am my hair can dry straight like that. I've even fallen asleep with wet hair & it's still straight. I'm not so lucky because my hair so baby fine it's pathetic. These women may have to blow dry their bio hair & run the straight iron through it, but I'd be glad to do that if I had the thickness of their hair.
  • Sunset
    I don't wear my toppers everyday for fear of this happening. It's amazing I've read where some women claim they wear them daily for years, & have had no hair loss. After a while the clips start to hurt me. By the way, have you read the reviews on here about spotlight? Some of the women claim they just love it, and now own five of them. A few said they completely revived that dried out frizz. I have revived a topper I had by Jon Renau with my steamer, not to look brand new, but presentable, but it never ever looked like Spotlight ended up looking like even after wearing it for quite a few times. The first one I had I didn't know better & brushed it out all the time with a hairbrush & used cheap regular hairspray. I still have it & it really doesn't look bad after steaming it. I prefer the RW top billing though with the lace front & side bang. I'm surprised it's holding up, maybe because it has less hair. Who knows.
  • Moonlitnight
    Do you mean on Wigs . com? Yes. I have also purchased a steamer and have a special very fine comb like a nit-comb. It didn't work. Lori here uses a brush behind the hair, facing outwards, so that there is more pressure when she steams. I haven't tried that. No amount of steaming will get rid of the fibre destruction. Mine looks like barbed wire under a magnifying glass.Each "hair" is all frizzed and stiff.
  • Sunset
    No amount of steaming would have revived my spotlight either. I would have been embarrassed to wear it looking like what it did. I'd rather wear my own bio hair then that, but I don't go out showing my bio hair anymore. I wear baseball caps sometimes & pull my wispy hair through the back like a ponytail when I take walks, or to make a quick run to the store. The next door lady asked me once why I wear baseball caps. One other reason I wear them is when I'm walking I don't want the sun beating on my face. I thought it was strange she asked me that, what's it to her?? Now when I pull my trash out I throw on one of my wigs so she'll think I have a normal amount of hair like she has. People just don't get it when they are lucky enough to have a good head of hair. Many people, men & women wear baseball caps when they're being casual.
  • Vee1028
    haha....no older than several of us here on this forum!! I for sure have photos of myself with that Priscilla Presley, waterfall style!
  • Katooshie
    would Pay to see that baby! ;)
  • Sunset
    My senior picture is with the beehive hair that measured 8" high. I have the pony tail on the side over one shoulder. I have it framed & up in my office, and people laugh about it. (LOL)
  • Vee1028
    oh wow! I'd love to see that picture.
  • Katooshie
    gosh can we see that
  • Sunset
    eb5udg16zbe5dp6o.jpg
    I hope this works. I have blonde hair now.
  • Katooshie
    wow!! You look so GLAM. I wish everybody wore interesting hair now!! Most people have either bad or boring hair these days.
  • Sunset
    It's pretty funny looking, especially with the bow I had tied into it. It was a lot of effort ratting it all the time & using many cans of hairspray. I drove my parents crazy with all of it. That was the style then, and you saw all the girls wearing it. You see almost every girl in my high school year book with that same style. If only they had permatease back then, it would have made it so much easier. Now I hate permatease unless just a small amount is used. I wonder if it will ever come back into style? After this style was over, then it went to long hair split down the middle. That's when my heartache began with my hair. I wanted so much to have the long, flowing hair down to my waist. I had it down to the middle of my back, but I started realizing just how baby fine it was in comparison to so many others.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Wow, just gorgeous Sunset! Is that all your bio hair? Even in my younger, thicker, longer hair days, no way I could ever achieve that look. I did have the mall hair back in the 80's, and I thought that was high hair.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh that is just PERFECT! Lol. How times have changed. :hearts:
  • Sunset
    No, that's not all my hair. I had on a wiglet with my hair backcombed up over it. There's no way I could have gotten my hair up that high with my bio hair. It was baby fine even back then. Look how thin my ponytail was. You could have achieved this look with a wiglet. That was the style back then. (LOL) I had cascades & wiglets all the time. All the gals wore them, and no one thought a thing at all about anyone wearing them. Now it's taboo to wear a wig, and I find that ridiculous. This is why I keep it a big secret now that I wear one or a topper. I'd hate to take all the time I had to spend creating a beehive now. I can plop on a wig & be out the door in five minutes.
  • Sunset
    Aren't you glad the style has changed from what it was back then? (LOL)
  • buckeyegal1963
    I had never heard of falls or wiglets until now, I've seen old pictures of my mother wearing beehive hairdos like that, but I think it was her own hair. It's so not fair, my mother had a full very thick head of hair into her mid 70's, she passed last year. Both my sister and I got our hair genes from our dad, and my brother from mom. Again, not fair :joke:
  • Sunset
    Sorry for your loss of your Mom, I know how awful that is to go through. My Mom had fine hair, but she had a lot of it. My sister has her hair & so much more than me. I think my Dad had a medium amount. My brother went completely bald at 20, and then I hardly got anything. I know it's very unfair. A beautician once made a comment to me saying when God was giving out hair he didn't give you much. This is one of the reasons I just cut my own hair; there's not much there, so it makes it real easy to do. In fact I just cut two inches off today, it grows really fast, too bad it doesn't grown in thicker. I'm shocked how much hair my daughter has!! I'd give my eye teeth to have it. What's amazing is her father & I both have thin hair. My daughter keeps her hair real short that's cute, but if I had her hair I'd have it longer. One time when she was in high school she shaved the bottom half of her hair off, and yet her hair was so thick it hung over the top of it and you couldn't even tell it was shaved underneath. She's dyed it all kinds of colors & it's thick enough to take all that. Mine would just break off, & I'd be left bald. I had to stop doing permanents to put body in my hair because it would just break off.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you Sunset, yes it was hard, and this past mother's day was very sad for me, missing her.

Both of my daughters have thick hair, especially my older girl's hair is super thick and wavy, she says she hates it being so thick. When most of us ladies on the forum go to the hairdresser, we get the "Your hair is so fine and/or thin", she gets "Oh my, you have soooo much hair!" She used to get it thinned out, but the past few years she's been donating her hair to locks of love. Her hair also grows super fast, she'll get it cut chin length and within 6 months it's past her bra band.
  • Sunset
    I would sure love to have the problem of having to go get my hair thinned because it's so thick.
  • Sunset
    Maybe your daughter should donate her hair to make a wig for you. That is really nice of her to donate her hair to locks of love. I joked one time with a hairdresser & asked if she would like to donate my hair. She got a big laugh out of that one.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.