• Wendy
    I have a small head, but all of the wigs I love only come in average sizes...Has anyone ever altered an average sized wig to make it more petite? Or do I just have to keep trying to camoflouge the excess cap in the back?
  • Alex K WIGSCOM TEAM
    Hi Wendy!! Good to see you on the forum. :)

I have this problem too.. My 'Allure' by Jon Renau is in a large cap size that is a bit too large for me. It bugged me at first, but I guess I just got used to it and now I don't notice it anymore!
  • Wendy
    Hi, Alex! Good to be here! Yeah, I normally just wear the larger wig and hope for the best! So far, so good, but with summer coming, I’m wondering if the extra cap fabric & hair will just make me that much hotter...but I’m also terrified of cutting into my precious wigs to see if I can “fix” them...
  • Lori1959
    Actually, you can take a needle and thread - a similar color to the wigs hair. Add a few stitches to "sinch" it in. Try it first on an older wig if you prefer or do individual stitches you could remove if you had to. I wear rather expensive human hair wigs and prefer a few stitches into the lace to have more control. I also wear a silicon band that helps it all to feel snug and secure.

There are several YouTube videos that may pertain to your type of wig. Some people add elastic, some cut right into the wig like in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixRoe7BWwA . This video takes out wefts: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsiy0DpHeo" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsiy0DpHeo</a>
    Attachment
    IMG_4995 (2) (170K)
  • KellyA
    Turn your wig over on a wig heat. Pin it. They cut some wefts. Then sew it
  • Uriela
    Patti of Pattis Pearls does this for you.
  • amyonwigs
    I have removed wefts from my larger caps, and it works great!
  • btrflygal7
    Some average wigs are smaller then others I find, I too have a smaller head and usually have to make the adjusters the tightest. I haven't danced wefts but have tried to make the circumference smaller by sewing the cap and that has helped. Someone may suggested it already, but to may want to try A wig grip headband, that's helped me a lot
  • Erzsike
    If you live near a wig shop, they can make your cap smaller. But as Lori1959 posted, you can do it yourself. I would follow her direction!
  • Dolly
    This might be covered already above but I haven't had time to read yet - will read tonight...I had this problem once and had no time to do much about it. Fortunately, it had the adjustable elastic around the outside edge - it looks like little clips threaded with the elastic band. I pulled the elastic really tight through the clips the tied them into knots so they wouldn't slide back.. I knew I'd never get the knots out but they wouldn't loosen up that way for a while. It worked! I almost had it too tight! Over time, they stretched out but by then I had a new wig!
  • Tiramisu
    The reason I got into toppers is because none of the average wigs fit me and they have so few in the petite size. I brought one to my seamstress and showed her how many wefts I wanted out and she did it for me. It worked pretty well. I also had her sew in a couple of toupee clips.
  • btrflygal7
    I use wig grip headband. I usually have the issue with even average wigs being a little big sometimes. They work pretty good.
  • Deborah
    If you go to a beauty supply store and buy weave thread. Turn the wig inside out and just sew along the bits that are uncomfortable for you and tighten. It's better than actually cutting the wefts because when you cut it after time it's going to fray. I do this all the time to my wigs especially the thin ones and also add hair to them as well.
  • doreoliz
    My friend use some magic and makes my wigs smaller herself, I don't think its very hard
  • goldcapp
    You can stitch up bulk in the wig with ordinary thread by turning it inside out. It is very easy and just takes minutes. If find this method very effective. You can also sew in clips that grab your own hair (if you have bio hair) for extra hold. I also have a small head, but adjustments can be made!
  • rpwatson
    I use the wig grips and it sure makes a difference on how my wigs fit. I don’t think it would work as well with a lace front wig.
  • Vee1028
    I just posted this video in another thread. Sure hope it helps one of you ladies! Good luck.

https://youtu.be/bM1jyUiMQFA
  • btrflygal7
    True, I have only the need to use them with wigs that didn't have the lacefront, i had bought some from a wig shop near me that didn't really fit me great. I have had more luck on here buying better fitting one. They have more a variety of sizes.
  • Klavisha
    Has anyone successfully altered a 100% hand-tied cap to make a wig smaller? I've only seen techniques for removing wefts.
  • zeo
    You need a tailor to help you add an adjustment belt.
  • Diane
    Most wigs have velcro ear tabs on the inside of the cap that adjust the size of the wig up to one inch. Some manufacturers do create wigs in mini-petite size, have you looked for any of those?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.