• mcvoice
    So gals, my go-to wig is RW stop Traffic. I have her in two blonde (rooted) colors and keep a brand new one "ready" to go. I was so excited to try RW Editors Pick. Worked up some points, got some discounts, and got her. I put it on and LOVED it - but no kidding - 10 minutes after wearing her and using only my fingers to pick out the curls a big....it frizzed big time. Tried to put Jon R detaingler, and later conditioner in - just got a build up. Which felt yucky after first time I wore her. There's a LOT of fly away/frizz and at the nape - tangles. I did wash (soak her in fabric softener) her after the 3rd wear (way too soon for a wash generally speaking) and it's better. But I can hardly touch the hair without major frizz. I love how it looks on but I would not buy it again if this is how it is. Any suggestions, thoughts.....
  • Katooshie
    This is why I won't buy expensive heat friendly wigs. Heat friendly fibres are literally fabric, so often they will defrizz somewhat if you steam, flat iron, curl with a curling iron, or pour boiling hot water over them. This is the equivalent to ironing a cotton table cloth to remove wrinkles. I heat style my wig every single day. HF wigs need heat. That said, some frizz you can only manage by trimming it. I always buy heat friendly wigs in shoulder length or longer, and usually curly. The curl tends to hide the frizzing on the ends. Once a week I wash the wig and then trim 1/4 to 1/2" off the ends to remove the frizz. Heat friendly wigs last about 1 to 2 months maximum. That's why I won't buy expensive HF wigs. They have to be trimmed when frizzy and replaced when you trim them to the point they are too short to wear. After about a month of trimming, I start wearing my hair in updo to hide the fact that the hair is getting shorter. Then I switch to a fresh wig (same style and colour) and wear it in an updo for about a week. This allows me to transition back into long hair without anyone noticing I've gone from shorter to longer hair. The only option to avoid this frizz problem is to buy human hair wigs. I wouldn't buy just pure synthetic wigs (non heat friendly) because the ones I've tried look like plastic barbie doll hair. I wish I could give you an easier solution, but this is the only system that I've managed to develop that works for me with heat friendly hair. :)
  • Moonlitnight
    Welcome to the forum, MC. You look so pretty in your profile pic. That pointed chin! I am convinced that anyone with a pointed chin looks great in most wigs. OK, to comment on your question. I just read Kat's response and yes, this fibre is a nightmare, particularly on RW wigs. I have Spotlight Elite and, within a week or so, the ends became a stiff mess. I did all the suggested things to no avail. Once that fibre is denatured, you can get it to look a little better but after five minutes, it's a mess again. I have Editor's Pick as well. I actually have only tried it on twice. I bought it as a fun wig but for reasons unknown, it has a ton more permatease than Nisha's or Taz's. It stands up at the crown, whereas theirs are flat. already I see frizzing. My honest opinion is to stay away from this fibre. Being a glutton for punishment, I just bought Scene Stealer. I have worn it as a "try-on" twice and already I see frizzing around the ends.

Some wig sisters here have tried straight silicon and say it provides a little relief. My opinion is that once that fibre has changed, it's changed and all you can do is lop it off. On a shorter wig like EP, that isn't very practical.
  • Vee1028
    I would have put the wig right back in the box and sent it back if it frizzed within moments of pulling it on and only after finger combing it. There is no excuse for that at all. I have long and short HD fiber wigs that show no signs of damage. Some I've worn a lot and some just a few times but all still look good.
  • Moonlitnight
    Do you have RW HD though Vee? I am convinced there is something very wrong with that particular HD fibre.
  • mcvoice
    Vee1028 it is the RW editors pick HD that I have. I agree with others-I think this particular fiber is flawed.
  • Sunset
    The heat fiber so far is holding up well on my JR Drew wig. I leave my bio hair hanging down under it, and I feel my hair is protecting the fibers from rubbing against my clothing. I tried this with my RW spotlight & it still became one frizzed, dried up mess I had to cut into & long bob. I really rarely put it on because it's shorter than what people are used to seeing me wear, and I don't tell anyone I'm wearing a wig. If they think to themselves I must be I'll never know. I receive nothing but comments on my hair, and I saw two guys take a 2nd look at me yesterday as I was wearing Drew. I'm sure they wouldn't have with my own stingy, boring bio hair. I'll have to see how Fiery holds up, but I'm pretty convinced the HD fiber is much better with JW than with RW. I'm not going to order another RW wig because of what happened. I love several of my estetica wigs that's regular synthetic, I don't think they even have HD fiber wigs. I love the way Drew & Fiery fit perfectly on my head, I've even worn Drew out with no wip cap, I rarely wear them because they're hot & give me a headache. I also didn't wear a wig grip. I think I will sew in a few wide tooth combs to secure it better as those don't hurt my head. I've just been too lazy to do it. I did this with Spotlight, but it was a waste of time, and I'm getting mad & disgusted how much money I spent on this wig to have it only last for a few times of wearing it.
  • Vee1028
    no, the only RW wigs I have ordered over the years have gone right back. I own Jon Renau and Belletress HD fiber wigs.

you definitely should have sent the wig back immediately. We all know a wig should hold up and look good for more than the few minutes you said this one took to frizz. Editor's Pick is not an inexpensive wig and you should expect it to last a few months. I own a Belletress Kona in HD fiber. It is slightly longer or same length as EP. I have now worn her many times and see absolutely no damage at all. Definitely this is a RW problem rather than a HD problem.
  • Vee1028
    I think with what we're reading here we can all agree that this is most likely a RW problem. I love my JR and Belletress HD wigs!
  • mcvoice
    thanks for the feedback!
  • Moonlitnight
    Yup. That is what I thought. Something seriously wrong there. The company MUST know about it but not care.
  • Vee1028
    you would think the company would know, wouldn't you? But how many wig reviews do you see where the bad quality is mentioned? I've seen none...just reviews showing how beautiful EP or Spotlight are. Even reading reviews you rarely see it mentioned. I never knew it was a problem until I saw it mentioned so often here. Maybe complaints to the company would make them take a look at it.
  • dc21
    I think most reviews are when they are brand new, out of the box, silky, and beautiful. They review them as soon as they get them and don't do a follow-up about how they are holding up.
  • Vee1028
    Yes, you're right and I did think about that after I wrote it. I do believe I've seen Jill Lynn do some reviews weeks or months after the 1st review. I know I remember hearing how bad her Elizabeth held up, but she thought maybe her hard well water was to blame and said it was better after washing in fabric softener. I never saw her complain about Kona at all.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh that is so true!
  • Moonlitnight
    I know Nisha has mentioned it but I used to have a blog and these beauty bloggers knew that the more rah rah cr*p they posted, the more items they would be sent. At one point they had to sign something from the PR agencies saying they would give a positive review! I refused. My blog was about the rubbish that goes on in beauty marketing so why would I sign anything to say I'd give a positive review? Also, I think most wig reviewers are discussing styles and colours, and not how they wear.
  • Vee1028
    you're totally right. I guess we're just on our own here! But, word of mouth is a powerful thing! For sure I have given up on ever buying that EP that I wanted so desperately.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.