• Moonlitnight
    I read somewhere (not on this forum) that someone wears her wig to bed. Has anyone else had experience of this? Doesn't it come off? I did yoga in my Brandi the other day and it kept slipping when I did DWD. (I was at home.) Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to actually notice that I am wearing a wig in bed, but I'm asking the question anyway.
  • Lynn
    I personally have not but another company called "The Wig Company" has sleep wigs. Check them out. Just beware that if you do buy from them they will send you catalog after catalog in the mail at least they used to.
  • Tammy
    That is a good question. I had a few wig lady’s that I knew that complained about women wearing the hair to bed and it was always a mess to fix. I also have seen a few videos of some who glue on the wig to last a few days. I am completely bald (not a single hair) so I have thought about glue, that way i could have hair all the time. However, I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford to go through my synthetics quicker than I already do. Not sure about HH girls.
  • Sponsored Ad
  • Moonlitnight
    Really? Thanks for that info Lynn. The catalogues won't bother me if they have wig pics.
  • Moonlitnight
    Tammy, maybe it was HD fibre. Mine mats just by looking at it. But that would be one of my concerns, waking up either with my wig on the floor somewhere (or dangling from the chandelier since I'm a restless sleeper) or all matted to h*ll.
  • Tammy
    I agree. The women that defrizzed them said that sleeping in them causes them to mat and wear much fatster.
  • Geigei
    At home I never sleep in my wig. When traveling with girlfriends and sharing a room, I do not remove my wig when I go to bed.. (My husband is the only human who ever sees me without my wig, I am almost completely bald). When traveling I pack a second wig, alternate them daily and brush the matting out each day. I use a front tape tab. Secures the wig and offers me security.
  • BeautyWithin
    I never sleep in my wigs. It wears them out faster if you do. My stylist friend said it's a no no. My hubby has been wonderfully supportive throughout my hair loss process and we had a very frank talk about me wearing it to bed or not. His input was, " you do whatever makes you feel better but I never want you to be uncomfortable for my sake. I love you for you" I decided comfy sleep is most important. : )
  • Maria
    I wear human hair and have for many years. I always sleep in my wigs. I bond it with tape, remove it once a week to wash and reattach. My wigs last at least a year. Hope this helps you!
  • Sponsored Ad
  • Cathe Lartigue
    I would not sleep with a wig. At all. I spend too much money on them to ruin them. I put my bio hair (what's left of it) in a messy bun and go night-night!
  • Melinda Agu
    I fall asleep sometimes accidentally (I wait until the last minute to remove my wigs) and sleep through the night. I have one synthetic that holds up GREAT,but my others tangle and matt a bit. Like someone else mentioned,when I travel, I do sleep in them. I have no desire to show off my bald spots. It's worth a little extra wear. I use It Stays and combs.
  • Lori
    Your husband is so great for making you feel comfortable like that. My ex (horrible, horrible man) always made me feel bad about mine. I'm so glad to be rid of him...LOL!
  • Deborah
    I do wear human hair wigs to bed... If you put a few bits of hair in little braids and tack the wig down there it will stay on. I have hair loss on the hairline and sides of my head so I put braids down the middle of the head and tack it down. Been on rides, spent a week on vacation without removing my wig once....
  • Katooshie
    I do not wear my faux hair to sleep BUT...I do wait until my husband turns out the light and says goodnight before I remove my hair. He knows I wear it, of course, but I like to leave a good impression! :)
  • Katooshie
    What a treasure your husband is! Good for you!
  • Gretabern
    I’m so pleased to find other women who are living the life of having lost their hair. Thank goodness there are great wigs out there. I have been dating a man for a year now and we now live together but he had never seen me without a wig on. Yes I became totally bald three years ago at the age of sixty five. I sleep in a wig every night and it can be uncomfortable and itchy as hell. I sleep in an old matted wig that I tie up with a clip and change to a good wig in the morning. Oh the price of vanity!!!!!
  • Katooshie
    You are NOT alone! I wear my hair until the very last minute! Once hubby says goodnight and turns out the light...off comes the hair! The lights are off and it's still dark when he leaves, thankfully! :)
  • BeautyWithin
    your ex is a jerk. (I know name calling is not nice, dont tell my kids lol)...but sheesh. You deserve better, someone who is deserving of your beauty...inside and out! : )
  • ladyjane
    I only wear wigs when I am out of the house. I find them either too hot or just too uncomfortable. Definitely never to bed. I wear a cotton sleep cap to bed and during the day at home. I live with my boyfriend and he is fine with this look.
  • Mort
    I don't sleep in my wigs unless I'm sharing a hotel room or other temporary sleeping situation. In that case, I wear an older wig so a nice one won't get ruined (I wear synthetic). I've been with my boyfriend for 12 years, but at 60, I like my own space at home. So, when I'm ready to sleep and done cuddling, the lights go out, my guy gets the boot, and my wig comes off!
  • Michelle
    I don't sleep in my wigs. They are synthetic and I can't imagine them lasting very long if I slept in them -- they get enough of those annoying little bends and curly-q's as it is. But I have wondered if there is a way to protect your wig while you are sleeping, should that situation occur.

When I go to bed, I wear a stocking cap in the winter or a thinner head wrap in the summer. I like them because I can pull down the front and shut out light - haha.

When traveling with a certain group of girl friends that I feel comfortable with, I told them I wear a wig because my hair is so thin. At night I switch to the wrap and they don't say a thing. Actually -- when I told them it was a wig, they were surprised and very complimentary. Although they haven't said it out loud, I think they were impressed that I was forthcoming about it -- I think it raised their opinion of me for sharing and being vulnerable.

Now - if I was traveling with a group of people I wasn't quite so comfortable with -- like co-workers -- I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably try to hide the fact that I wear a wig -- get up early before everyone and put it on, etc.
  • Jess35wi
    I've slept in a wig for over 3 years. I just reapply the got to be glued on the lacefront before bed and I've never had an accidental slip in the night! Or if I'm super worried itll slip I throw a beanie cap on over
  • Larry
    Hi,
    I’m working on a book about baldness and the social and emotional impact that comes with losing your hair. It will be an anthology and I’m looking for contributors. It will be a non profit project. Any money that will come from sales will go to paying expenses in producing this book, and any other money will go to charities such as the National Alopecia Areata Foundation and the American Cancer Society.

I’m looking for personal stories and essays about topics associated with hair loss such as wigs, beauty, coping skills and embracing baldness.

God bless,

Larry S. Barbee
  • Hair4Fun
    I know this is a kind of old thread,but I would never sleep in a wig. The only times I ever have,have been by accident when I have fallen asleep with one still on. They are very expensive and ruins them,and my head needs to breathe! I find by the end of the day I'm dying to take off my wigs. I sometimes wear a turbie twist towel on my head at night instead.
  • Sari S
    Hair4Fun, Hi, interesting thread right. I started wearing wigs little over year ago. I have never slept in my wigs. I have very thin hair due to thyroid issues and had partial thyroid removal while in college. Over the years lost more and more hair which may be also due to heredity and age. I have always had fine hair and my husband, of 40 yrs, is awesome and doesn't care about my lack of hair .I wear wigs on and off at home but I always wear makeup! I love my beanies since I chopped rest of my hair this past summer. Basically shaved it! So liberating and my family thinks I look regal. LOL! Its growing out now but summer was awesome. I don't hide the fact I wear faux hair from friends or family. I am comfortable in my own skin. Everyone is different in their comfort level but I can't sleep in a wig even for a nap.
  • A7X
    I have slept in my wig, but don't usually - I'm usually eager to take it off before bed! I sleep in a separate room from my husband due to the fact that I get up at 5 am and he gets up at 6:30-7 so he doesn't really see me anyway. When I work on projects around the house, I also don't wear my wig, I wear a Lilly Pulitzer wide headband to cover my giant receding hairline and it looks ok.
  • linda
    I am the same way. I can not sleep in my wig. I take it off at night and pull my bio hair in to a tiny ponytail. Around the house I wear an older wig or a do-rag:) A pretty scarf or baseball cap. Just depends on my mood. Im all for looking my best indoors or outdoors, but a good nights sleep is the best thing for that:) Naps Too!!!
    We ride MC's and my husband is use to "helmet hair." He is like me he doesn't want anything to get in the way of enjoying our life together. Worrying about my hair and looks can really put a damper on that. And Ive wasted a lot of my time fretting over my skimpy hair.
    Im just thrilled to have found a fabulous solution for my problem hair:)
    Linda
  • goldcapp
    I have many different styles of wigs, also in different shades of blondes. In my opinion, the rooted blond wigs look the most natural. My friends and family know that I wear wigs because I have a different look all the time. Sometimes my hair is short (sports), sometimes it is glamorous and long for evening outings. For yoga I use a short wig with bobby pins on both sides which secure the wig and/or a headband. I have slept in wigs on occasion. You can secure them with tapes or roll-on adhesive.
  • goldcapp
    I am not bald but have thin hair. I do not like the look at all and am so grateful that we have alternatives. Hair is a wonderful accessory to anyone's look, and I found that I can change my look from sporty to glamorous with the new style of wigs. We all know that there is plenty of variety in wigs! I often sleep in my wig when my boyfriend is here, and it is no problem with the short wigs. You can comb them out very easily in the morning. The longer ones tend to tangle a bit more, but you can get creative and put your hair up. Wigs are easy to secure with tape and/or bobby pins. No problem at all!
  • Jnc
    I could never sleep in mine. I pull mine off about 7 if we don't have company and pop on a hat to keep my head warm. I had very thin hair - bald on top, so now I just shave it. When I wake up in the morning I put an old wig on and it looks like I just got out of bed. Haha! I love them, but my favorite time of the day in night when I can take it off.
  • Debbie
    A7X, love your hair style and color. Do you mind sharing what color this is that you are wearing?
  • A7X
    Thank you, it's "Stop Traffic" by Raquel Welch in SS14/88 Shaded Golden Wheat. It's rooted which I feel looks more natural. I get compliments on my hair often, which I'm still trying to get used to!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.