• JeannetteB
    Hi all, I don’t comment much but I enjoy reading your discussions. I always feel optimistic and hopeful while reading your stories but the feelings dissipate when I look in the mirror.
    People can’t (yet) tell that I have a hair loss issue unless I point it out. However, it won’t be much longer before I won’t be able to hide it. To the causal observer I have a gorgeous head of hair. That is until you get a good look at my hairline/bang area. I’ve been losing it slowly but steady for about 2 years. But now it’s beginning to disappear at an alarming rate.
    I’ve tried a couple of bang/fringe pieces but they look absolutely fake. I bought the JR top wave 12” a few months ago thinking that I could use a topper and cut bangs into it. I have yet to wear it though because, 1, I have a good head of hair and don’t really need a topper, 2, I’m afraid to get used to wearing helper hair and not be able to live without it or bear seeing myself without hair in the frontal area when I remove it, 3, the thought that I could lose more hair due to traction or friction scares me to death!
    Does anyone else have the problem of frontal only loss? If so, how do you deal with it? Has anyone come across a bang/fringe piece that looks realistic and can be parted freely?
    Currently I use a concealing powder which works great but like I said, I’m getting to the point where that will no longer work.
    Any suggestions or ideas will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you ladies

• Moonlitnight
    Hello Jeannette. Thanks for posting again. I just looked at your previous post on weaning yourself off minoxidil. Are you doing that by any chance? I ask because I tried to do it by weaning on three occasions and, I still shed. Most of the shedding was in the temple area. I've been on the stuff since I was 26. That is 40 years of it.

In your situation, when fringes don't work, I would be very leery of wearing a topper. I did just this and I noticed it seemed looser one day. The reason for that is that it had made balding spots in the five places where the clips were, but particularly at the front hairline. These remain almost three months later and I am getting very agitated about it! Could you not buy a pretty wig, maybe in a slightly different colour, and wear it around the house just for fun? That would get you used to wigging it, should the need arise to wear one. It's a very great pity that wearing a wig still carries a stigma, and is seen as a "last resort" as it really isn't all that bad.

I am sure some of the ladies here will come up with a few great suggestions, and I'll just leave it with please be very careful of toppers. You are a lovely looking person and you don't need to spoil your pretty face with mascara streaks!

Hugs.
  • Katooshie
    your profile pic is movie star gorgeous
  • JeannetteB
    Hi Moonlitnight. Thank you for your input and honesty. Now I’m just terrified of wearing my topper. You have validated my fear.
    I haven’t tried weaning off the minoxidil. Unless my only option is to wear wigs, I will most likely use minoxidil for life. Or I get too old to care anymore. (I’m not sure if that’s a joke :)
    I went to a wig store and the clerk had me try on a wig just for fun. And boy was it fun! It was a color I would never have thought to try but when she said that it brightened my face I had to agree. It was so nice to have hair around my face I couldn’t stop playing with it. I put it up in a messy do and I was ecstatic. Then I found out how much it cost...and that they don’t last forever...
    I’m trying not to lose heart, after all, there are worse things in life right??
  • JeannetteB
    Haha Katooshie, you are sweet. I must have been having a good hair day
  • Moonlitnight
    Yes there are many worse things in life, unfortunately. Was the wig you tried on a human hair wig? I'd love one made from HH but will have to save a bit. I don't think I will ever be too old to care!
  • JeannetteB
    Yes MLN it was human hair, straight, long, and varying shades of brown red blond. I don’t know what to call it. It’s been a while so the memory has faded. Anyway, it was very unIike my own hair.
    If I was going to jump in that boat I think I would have to stick with my natural color so as to remain inconspicuous. Are you wearing a wig in your profile pic? Your hair looks sooo pretty!
  • Misty
    HI JeannetteB and welcome to this forum. I wear a full wig, as I have alopecia due to a medical condition. I have read comments here from some that have tried to wear toppers and they have damaged their bio hair, and others that have strong bio hair that love toppers!
    I love my full wig, it makes me feel like me again. I have worn human hair as well as synthetic wigs, there is a very large price difference if you buy good quality HH. These days I buy synthetic both for cost and time spent in care of the hair. I used to be very aware of wearing a wig, and now it is my hair - it looks and feels right.
    Can you call back into the wig store (if it is still there) and ask to try on a few more styles in a price range that you would feel comfortable with? Hair, whether bio or not, should be good fun! :hearts:
  • Sunset
    I used to think when I was younger that when people got older they didn't have to care about how they looked. (LOL) I still care very much, & I know I'm never going to stop caring.
  • JeannetteB
    Hi Misty, yes I’m going back to the wig store when I get back from vacation at the end of July. I’ll try on both HH and synthetic as well as various styles. It’s encouraging to hear that you’ve gotten over the “hump” and now are comfortable with wearing hair. I’m still on the other side and as you surely know, it’s a very scary place to be.
    I’m so tired of worrying over my hair loss and feel that it’s affecting my quality of life. My hope is that making the leap to wigs will free me from this almost paralyzing fear so that I can move on to more important things.
    Thanks for your encouragement
  • JeannetteB
    Sunset, I guess you’re right. My mother who as 78 (I lost her in November) cared very much about her appearance and never went out without makeup on. And she was always concerned about hair loss. Although hers was just age related overall thinning. I thought it still looked great! Now I on the other hand have a definite pattern going on. Thanks for your insight
  • dc21
    You look beautiful in your profile pic! If your thinning is just in the front bang area, I would experiment with hair powders and styling to conceal it. It doesn't look like you need a full wig or topper at this moment. I certainly wouldn't be wearing them if I didn't have to. Clip in bang pieces ar so small that it is hard to integrate to look natural imo.
  • Moonlitnight
    Nor do they feel like a different, "older" person. We are always the young, beautiful woman inside, aren't we? xo
  • Sunset
    Sorry about the loss of your Mom; I know how devastating that can be. My Mom died at age 61; I thought that was old then because I was only 32. Now I'm 65 & 61 sure seems young now.

You will find plenty of different types of wigs or hairpieces, and before too long you will feel comfortable in adding some helper hair. I can see right away when I put on one of my favorite wigs or hairpieces I look better. I'm not going to run around anymore with my pathetic, thin hair feeling bad about it.
  • Sunset
    Yes, we sure are. :wink:
  • JeannetteB
    Hi dc21, I do currently use Joan Rivers Great Hair Day concealing powder. It does a great job but my hair has thinned so much that I’m afraid there’s more powder than hair
    So if you can imagine...nice full hair all around and balding from temple to temple in the frontal area. In other words, my hairline has receded and my “bangs”are now thin wisps of fluff. So my forehead is now higher after being exposed. I don’t even look like myself anymore. And it’s progressing at an alarming rate. I Don’t think I’ll be able to get away with powder much longer.
    I have a topper that I’ve never worn and decided this morning to try it on. Here’s the problem, I need it only for the bang area so the rest just looks like too much hair since My bio hair is really full in the back. Also, I’ve taken moonlitnights word of caution to heart about traction alopecia so I’m deathly afraid of using the clips on the topper. Especially since three of the clips are positioned in the area of loss. Back when my hair loss started (about three years ago) I saw a woman at the store who was completely bald on the front half of her head. Like from ear to ear and forward. I had never seen anything like it and I was horrified that that might happen to me.
    I’m beginning to think that my problem is unique? Or do you all think the same?
    So my plan as of today is to try to sell my JR topper and buy a wig that I can wear around the house like MLN suggested until I get used to the idea of wearing it in public.
    Oh dear...now I have to start researching all about wigs
  • JeannetteB
    Thank you Sunset for your words of encouragement. I can’t wait to feel free as you do.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh dear...now I have to start researching all about wigsJeannetteB

But that's fun! Female androgenetic alopecia is usually more diffuse loss although I believe it can come in more of a male pattern. Mine is diffuse. Either way, it's disappointing. Our Crystal here began posting how she would never wear wigs. That was until she bought one. Now she loves them. They grow on you, but in a different way from actual hair! Have you been wearing a hat more frequently? I find any type of brim rubs on my hairline and causes my fine hair to break off.

One word of advice here, Ellen Wille and Estetica have less dense wigs, which may work better for you, since your hair is thick in the back. With Ellen Wille (a luxury brand) the caps are petite or petite-average. This means there will be very little room for your bio hair. I would suggest a really good measure of your head (the ear-to-ear over the head measurement is apparently the most important) if you are considering an Ellen Wille. Then make sure the wig comes in petite/average and not just petite. Ellen Wille "Hair Society" wigs are made for ladies with no bio hair and are petite, so stay away from them.

Here's how to measure: https://www.wigs.com/pages/how-to-find-your-wig-size
  • dc21
    Traction alopecia is definitely a concern, but many women successfully wear toppers. You need a couple of toppers to rotate with the clips in different places. It also depends on how fragile your hair is as to whether it will break off. Have you been to a dermatologist? I think there is a form of hairloss concentrated in the front. I can't remember the term and if there is anything that can be done about it anyway. With toppers, you can let your own hair show on the sides and pull it back into a ponytail. Synthetic wigs I think are much more limiting, although you can wear your hair loose under one if you choose a color that matches your hair. HH lace wigs have a lot more styling options, but cost and quality are definitely factors to be considered with those choices as well.
  • Moonlitnight
    I was just googling this, to see if the current thinking has changed, as I had read somewhere a few years ago that derms were noticing female androgenetic alopecia was taking on a more male pattern. I came across this: "Androgenetic alopecia – in women, hair generally thins in the top, frontal area, just behind the hair line, but stays thick at the back." This is what is going on with @JeannetteB I am wondering if Propecia would help, since @KellyA has had such good results from it.

Here is another possible cause. It sounds like the lady Jeannette saw had this condition: https://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/frontal-fibrosing-alopecia-womens-receding-hairline/
  • dc21
    Unfortunately, mine didn't stay thick in the back either! (Sigh) It is pretty severe considering I am not in menopause yet which triggers a lot of women's hairloss. Frontal fibrosing that you linked to, that is the term I couldn't think of! Starting minoxidil or propecia in the earlier stages of hairloss is always better than waiting. I would definitely consult a dermatologist to see my options too.
  • buckeyegal1963
    So sorry for your loss, I lost my mother last year, it's rough. My hair has also receded some at the temples, I tried clip on bangs first, very fake looking. Next I purchased a topper, and while it looked good, I was worried about causing hair loss (I don't have any hair loss other than thinning at the temples which I think happens to some of us as we get a little older), then came wigs and I love them! While I don't have hair loss, my hair is thin and damaged from home dye jobs. I must have left the solution on too long the last time, my hair started breaking off in places about an inch or two from the crown, looked awful. Even if I can get it back to looking normal, I think I'll still wear wigs. They're so much easier than trying to coax volume into my hair, saves me a lot of time getting out the door and look way better than my bio hair.

If you want to try a wig but are nervous about wearing one in public, try finding a style and color close to your bio hair, it will feel like "you" and more than likely no one will even suspect that it's faux hair.
  • JeannetteB

Yes that’s exactly what I saw. I didn’t realize it’s a real thing. Very scary. Now I’m sick with worry. I’ve had a biopsy at my dermatologist and the results say that I have androgenic alopecia. However when the nurse called me with results, she was very vague as she said “or secondary, stress related” I have no stress in my life to speak if so I ruled that out but why would they say one thing with the possibility of another? Didn’t make sense to me but I didn’t question it. Androgenic alopecia runs in my fathers side of the family. All of my aunts have been affected by it so I just assumed that’s what it was.
  • JeannetteB
    yes I’ve decided that’s what I need to do. Unfortunately I have to wait till I get back from vacation at the end of the month. I almost don’t want to go on vacation so that I can look into the wig thing. Your hair in your profile photo looks great!
  • JeannetteB
    I want to thank everyone for your input. I don’t know if I could move forward without this community. It may sound silly but I feel like I need someone to hold my hand as I walk this road. It helps to know that I’m not alone.
    I just posted my brand new JR topper on Craigslist and I got taken by a scammer!
  • Iris
    I haven't had an issue from the topper clips because I wear different size toppers everyday (so the clips are not always resting in the same spot). I also prefer a comb in the front rather than the clip. You can also use the washable glue or tape to prevent damage to your hair.
  • Moonlitnight
    If your aunts have been affected by it then you certainly can too. I think what the nurse was saying is that you have an inherited tendency towards AA, and it was triggered by stress. This is what apparently happened to me. In short, I lost my dog, my beloved husband, and my equally beloved older sister within a short time frame. I carried on, finished a reno, sold our home and moved to an island, while may hair grew very thin and sparse. As soon as I felt a sense of "Phew!" it did too, and started to fall out in brushfulls. Grr! All the women from my sisters to my grandparents and grand aunts all had sparse hair or complete baldness.

I agree about the comb. Would you mind sharing what toppers you have (just in case I decide to return to them!) I had a Noriko Milan, which did the damage, and a gorgeous Belle Tress Long Mono. I LOVE Belle Tress fibre.
  • Moonlitnight
    Thank you for your lovely remarks. But OMH, You didn't mail it did you?
  • Iris
    I have two Toppers by Sharon, Top Wave by Belle Tress and JR, 2 Easi Part HD XL, and a few I made from my favorite wigs. I just add combs to the front and move clips to where my hair is fuller. There are some good Youtube videos on how to put your topper on without damaging your hair. (Patti's Pearls) Sometimes its about the right size for your hair loss. I started with toppers, wore wigs for a while, and am back to toppers. I can't take the heat this summer.
  • JeannetteB
    no I didn’t mail it. It was a scam called something like google voice call. I’d never heard of it but I got suspicious when I got a text regarding the topper and they asked me to answer my phone and enter the two digit code they provided. They say that they use google voice calling so it has to be done this way. I was so excited to hopefully sell the topper that I did as instructed. But when they asked a second time I said no they’d have to call me directly. Then I googled it and found that it is indeed a scam.
  • JeannetteB
    thanks so much for the link. I’ll definately look into it. I’m thinking that it might be easier if I cut my hair shorter to accommodate the wig and also to hopefully stay a little cooler in a wig. Or does it make any difference? I tend to be “hot headed” ;) so not looking forward to having something on my head all the time
  • Moonlitnight
    I was nearly scammed on a table and chairs once. These scammers are everywhere.
  • buckeyegal1963
    I just got qued for moderation *pouts* Anyway I tried using Craigslist several years ago and received so many scam emails that I deleted my ad. There's a facebook group where you can buy, sell and trade wigs. I posed the link to it in my qued for moderation post, which probably why it's qued, lol
  • buckeyegal1963
    oops meant to reply to you Jeannette :smile:
  • JeannetteB
    oooh, thanks for the tip buckeyegal. I’ll look for it
  • buckeyegal1963
    Oh and there's eBay too, I've sold items there before using paypal as the payment method, you won't get ripped off that way.
  • JeannetteB
    thanks, hadn’t thought of that
  • buckeyegal1963
    This was my qued for moderation post, which was redundant, so deleting that text.
  • JeannetteB
    hmmm, I may be doing something wrong. It didn’t work.
    I have another question though.im . It sure what to price it at. I paid 230.00. It’s never been worn. Do you have any suggestions?
  • JeannetteB
    Silly voice to text
  • buckeyegal1963
    You're not likely to get full price even if you've never worn it. I'd probably try $199 or best offer.
  • JeannetteB
    yeah, I was thinking 150.00ish. The link doesn’t work. I got on Facebook to try to do a search but there were so many references to wigs that I was overwhelmed and don’t have time to sort through them all. Is there another way I can find the FB page you’re referring to?
  • buckeyegal1963
    I sent you a pm with the link Jeannette, it didn't work? I just went back and checked, it worked for me.
  • JeannetteB
    so the one on the left is after? Because that part seems narrower to me. Have you experienced any side effect? Does insurance cover the drug? Sorry so many questions. I’m using minoxidil right now and I’m afraid to start using another drug . But seeing your results is encouraging. Thank you
  • Moonlitnight
    Back in the day, Rogaine used to say they didn't know how minoxidil worked (they still don't) but one of the theories was the inhibition of testosterone to DHT, its stronger cousin that causes hair loss. Now Propecia is making this claim and minoxidil is sticking with the increases blood flow tack, and saying it doesn't affect DHT. Finasteride blocks 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that gives rise to DHT. I would like to try Propecia, but I am concerned about the SEs. Obviously, many of these relate to men only.

Side effects of Propecia include:

impotence,
    loss of interest in sex,
    trouble having an orgasm,
    abnormal ejaculation,
    swelling in your hands or feet,
    swelling or tenderness in your breasts,
    dizziness,
    weakness,
    feeling like you might pass out,
    headache,
    runny nose, or
    skin rash.

An effective natural way to block DHT is using a Saw Palmetto supplement. I just ordered some :)
  • Vee1028
    I've sold lots of wigs on Ebay. It's much safer than Craigslist.
  • JeannetteB
    I tried saw palmetto and it caused a huge shed. Maybe that means it was working but it scared me so I stopped. Either way, whatever we choose, whether it’s finasteride, saw palmetto, or a wig, it’s a lifelong commitment. Hmmm, seems wigs might be more fun. Not to mention safer. The finasteride is tempting though
  • JeannetteB
    I use craigslist all the time. I’ve never NOT sold anything I posted. I’ve also met some really nice people. Other than the scams which we need to be aware of, I think CL is a good avenue. I think it might take some time but the right person will come along to buy my Top Wave :)
  • Moonlitnight
    It did??? Good grief, how weird. I am already in the middle of a "huge shed." I do know that I cannot use even a spot of testosterone without shedding heavily, and this last massive shed was traced to a new estrogen cream (estriol, non-prescription). I want to get my hair cut short so that I don't look like the crypt keeper. This has happened in the space of a year. When I moved here, I was stopped a few times, by people admiring the colour and appearance of my natural hair. It is a pure platinum, and I had a few bonded-in extensions. From "Excuse me, I just have to tell you you have beautiful hair" (or whatever) to having to wear a wig is very upsetting. I am horrified every time I take my wig off and see myself in the mirror.
  • KellyA
    the left is after. Thw right is before I started. Insurance does not cover it but it only costs me $18 for a 3 month supply. I only had one side effect and I am very drug sensitive. It made me sweatty for 3 weeks. Then my body adjusted
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!