• KellyA
    I had more side effects from saw palmetto than propecia and I saw no results
  • KellyA
    One thing to keep in mind about women using propecia is we get 1/4 the dose that men get so way less side effects. No change in sex drive and no dizzy feeling. All side effects went away for me after weeks
  • Sunset
    (((hugs))) :hearts:
  • JeannetteB
    I’m so sorry, shedding is unsettling to say the least. I do everything I can to keep the hair I’ve got healthy. I wash only 2 to 3 times per week. Wait at least 8 weeks between color (at home), and I use a shampoo and conditioner product that I bought at my dermatologist. They have absolutely no extra or harmful ingredients. I slather my hair with conditioner or coconut oil if I’m swimming at the beach. I also wear a swim cap at the gym pool. My bio hair is probably healthier now than it’s ever been. It’s ironic that I’m losing it
  • JeannetteB
    hmmm, maybe I should look into it again. Who prescribed it to you? Your GP or dermatologist? And, I’m sorry Kelly, I don’t remember, did you say it caused a shed when you started it?
  • KellyA
    I saw a dermatologist. I was already shedding so I didn't notice more shedding. My profile picture is my real hair. It did not look like that a year ago. My biggest problem now is the new growth is little hairs sticking up all over like a dandelion. It's not as thick as my profile picture looks, that is all of my hair pushed forward. It's still thin and you can still see through it. But it's getting better.
  • Moonlitnight
    I baby my hair and take a whole lot of foods and supplements to support it. I think I lack protein. I don't eat meat and have fish maybe once a month. I do eat garbanzo beans, but that's about it! I can't use protein powders as they cause immediate migraines (any time glutamine is separated during the production process, I get migraines). Collagen gives me migraines and so does gelatin. It's a real pain!
  • Moonlitnight
    Hugs back :hearts:
  • JeannetteB
    Getting ready to leave for NC in the morning to visit my daughter and granddaughter. I’ll be there for two weeks and I’ll have plenty of down time for looking for just the right first wig. I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions so I’ll keep in touch. Thank you all for your responses and insightful perspectives.
  • dc21
    Google wigs shops while you are there. You won't have to worry about running into people you know! My mother was from eastern NC and we stopped and got some BBQ on our road trip last week! Safe travels!
  • Moonlitnight
    Have a wonderful time, Jeannette!
  • Samantha
    Have a great trip!
  • BeautyWithin
    You are beautiful and kind. We all love you here. I'm going through a nasty shedding season myself. I'm tempted to do a pixie cut before I look like Harold Munster. We're in this together gorgeous. Hugs!!!:heart:
  • Misty
    Hugs Moolitnight, take care :hearts:
  • Misty
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, as well as wig shopping !
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh heavens. My eyes are watering reading this, BeautyWithin. So kind :hearts: Harold Munster! lol. I am so on the wall over getting my long hair cut off. The thing is, having it shorter will only men that I have very thin short hair. It still won't look reasonable. Please let me know if you do the pixie! I was going to call my stylist today and ended up on her Instagram feed page. The pics were all of these beautiful long and thick cuts, waves and blonde balayage, etc. and I just had to go take a breather (so I never made the call). xo
  • JeannetteB
    I’m at the Denver airport enroute to NC and I’ve got a 2 1/2 hour layover. So I’ve settled in with my dark chocolate latte and my iPad to do some research on wigs and this woman walks right in front of me and lo and behold, I do believe she’s got the frontal fibrosing alopecia that moonlitnight mentioned! What makes this even scarier for me is that I saw a woman at the grocery store at home yesterday and she had the same condition! What’s going on? Please don’t let this be a “sign”
    I just have to take a deep breath and get a grip. Think wigs...think wigs...think wigs
  • Banjo
    I had the same thing happen to me wearing a topper with clips for a few years...definitely tracking and that hair has not grown back...but I used it for a long time, because I was afraid of the glue (even though it is considered medical)...being absorbed in the body.. For me wigs are easier to deal with..the first time I wore mine in public, I was so scared..but people thought it was a really nice cut and really liked it...so that helped.
  • Moonlitnight
    Jeannette. The only "sign" involved here is that more women are getting it. It is not personally a sign for you. I saw a lady in the supermarket yesterday, who also appeared to have the condition. she was in her 80s. Hang in there, my friend! Find a perfect wig and relax as much as you are able. Have you been on that hairlosstalk forum? I only discovered it last night and I'm hooked on all the info about new products coming to market. I soaked my head in rosemary oil last night, thinned with coconut oil of course. Also took the saw palmetto as you apparently want shed to occur as it means new anaphase is starting in those follicles. Hugs.
  • BeautyWithin
    Hi Jeannette! Welcome to an amazing group of people. We are all compassionate about the emotional side of losing our hair and passionate about helping each other find great looks with wigs and toppers. And we laugh...A LOT!!! : )

I know this is a very hard thing to go through. The loss can change how you feel about yourself. I know I hated looking in the mirror before I started wearing wigs. I never stood and gazed for hours before my bio hair started leaving but I was so disgusted with my body doing this to me. The receding hairline, thinning on top so bad I could see through to the back, stringy on the sides, sunburn! I tried lotions and potions and medicine and powder and sprays, to no avail. And I really wasn't comfortable putting such chemicals on or in my body.

I have been a wig wearer for about a year and a half now and I have to say I still have moments of loathing my situation but they are becoming fewer and farther between. Notice I said "my situation", not myself. Please be kind to yourself. This is experience is not one I wanted, but it has changed me for the better. I am stronger and more outgoing now. Crazy, right? My family, friends and this community online have been so supportive. I have to say to myself, "I am not my hair, I am not my body, I am more than what is reflected in the mirror. God looks at the inside of our hearts, not our outside. I can still strive to be a loving wife and mother, kind friend and good neighbor with hair loss. Once I accepted my hair was probably not coming back I was able to grieve and then s-l-o-w-l-y move on. And this is not to say it is wrong to keep trying to get it to grow back. It is a personal decision. I know for me I just had to move on because it was a constant disappointment. I have been through many hard things in my life I could not control and I decided I could not control this, but I CAN manage it...by choosing to wear a wig. The first time I put a long wig on at the shop I stared in the mirror, stunned! Who was that girl? I had tears in my eyes because I knew even though that wasn't the perfect wig for me, I had hope. Hope to look more like myself. And the funny thing is I choose a straight style (Jon Renau's Cameron) which was totally different than my bio hair (elbow-length, layered ringlets). I chose to skip toppers because of the fuss they required to put on and they pull out the hair where they attach. Why go through all that? Again, this is just my opinion because of how and where my hair was falling out. There are some awesome topper gals here and they make it work beautifully. So I say all this to tell you, this IS hard, it is SAD, you will get through this. And you are not alone. Hugs from Maryland!!!
  • JeannetteBAccepted Answer
    thanks Banjo, I won’t be wearing my topper. I’ll chalk that expense up to experience. I can’t afford to make another mistake with wigs! I guess I don’t understand the glue thing though. Doesn’t it also pull your hair out where you use it? Or when you take the wig off?
  • JeannetteB
    thank you. I can’t tell you enough how uplifting your comment was to me. I must have read it three, four, five times. Just trying to fathom what it must feel like to have gone through the fire so to speak, and come out in the other side. I look forward to the day that my attitude and outlook is such as yours. There’s hope for me, and thanks to you and everyone in this forum who has responded so kindly, I feel less alone in my journey. I hope one day to be an inspiration and help to others just beginning their journey. Happy weekend!
  • mcvoice
    Jeannette You've received some really good advice and comforting words here. You have a safe place in this community! For "glue" you might consider "It Stays" which is a water soluble adhesive. It comes in a roll on (remember roll on deodorant) and you roll on just a little at your hair line. You put your wig on, get it situated, press down and a few minutes it's good. You don't need a lot. Then you take off your wig from the back forward - it doesn't pull the hair at all. I've never had any hair come off. Then you can just wet your hair where the adhesive was and towel dry. Easy peasy. You may even find that you don't need to wear adhesive once you become more comfortable wearing wigs in general. I hardly ever wear the "it stays" but I am a professional concert vocalist so when I have some big concerts (like with symphony) then I might use a little for that extra piece of mind.
    I know you said you can't afford to make another mistake - have you considered the Wigoutlet (sister site to Wigs.com) or waiting until there's 30% off on the website. Also, there are a few reputable sellers on Ebay that sell the wigs at a very discounted price after they wear it once to review it.
    I have a name for my "wigs" and I don't call any of them "wigs" because they have become my "girlfriends" that make me look and feel more of who I feel inside. If someone suspects I"m wearing "add on hair" I may give them a smile or a wink or even say something about me and my "add on" hair. But most of the time people don't notice - they really don't. And if you're comfortable with yourself they will be comfortable. You are more than your hair (be it bio hair or synthetic hair. Be kind to yourself and be patient - you will find hair that suits you and it may just become one of your BFF once you do!
  • animallover
    Hi Jeannette - I don't have much to add for advice because I have thinning all over not just in the front. I did use minoxidil for 25+ years and just stopped. It may have helped but I think it just stopped working for me as my hair shedding increased a lot even while still using it. I think I am where I would be at this age regardless of using minoxidil. The people on here are wonderful and caring. I wish you the best. Have fun in NC!:hearts:

I used saw palmetto for years and years. I don't think it helped and it caused me nausea and headaches plus I still had massive sheds. I hope it works for you and you don't have yet another disappointment. :hearts:

I have been meaning to post to you....you are truly the meaning of your forum name - a beautywithin! You always have such beautiful comforting and caring words to say and such great support. I mirror your post above about looking in the mirror and watching your body go through this hair loss. I have cried so many tears, been severely depressed, spent so much time in bed depressed, etc... just for hair loss.................which is so dumb of me since I know there are so many worse things in life. Now I choose to focus on the positive and am bravely trying to embrace my new wig life..,,,,trying to get the courage to buzz now. I hope your precious boys are doing well. You are a wonderful beautiful person. Thank you:hearts:
  • JeannetteB
    thanks for chiming in. I would have been afraid of using the glue had it not been for your insight. Who knows, maybe I won’t even need it but at least now I don’t need to worry about pulling hair out should the need arise. Yes, I’ve looked at the wig outlet and anywhere else you’ve all pointed me to.
    On another note, I just got back from seeing Oceans Eight. Sandra Bullock wore a wig (maybe two) in various scenes of the movie. I just kept thinking...wow, she looks great as a blond as well as brunette. Now I’m rethinking my decision to stick with my own natural color. Oh, I won’t deviate too much but I’ve never had highlights or any kind of color shading. Just solid color. My daughter has always told me to try it but I didn’t want to spend the money for a professional color. But if I’m going to buy a wig anyway...why not
  • mcvoice
    My suggestion for color Jeannette would be to go with something similar (doesn't have to be identical) to the color you've been wearing. For the first time wearing a wig your reflection might feel more comfortable and recognizable to you initially if it's not "way different" (like being a brunette and going to blonde which might be a "shock." But being a brunette and getting something similar only with "professional highlights" might be fantastic. Since you've been "shy" about getting a wig and wearing it, IMO it seems like you'd feel more comfortable if you stay "similar" to what are used to. After you find a wig you like and start wearing it, you'll discover what styles you like the best on you and can experiment with color, cut and style! That's my two cents anyway :)
  • JeannetteB
    thank you. I’m not going to rush into anything. I want to get just the right one. Color, style, length, quality and price. It’s going to take awhile to find what I’m looking for.
  • Moonlitnight
    And please do not feel bad if the wig you feel is 100% you turns out to be not quite the right one. We've ALL been there—even after watching all the youtube reviews. Fortunately, Wigs.com has a great return policy and, if you pay via Paypal and are signed up with their Return Shipping on Us program, you won't have to pay for returning it. Woo! Hoping your dreams will come true and you'll find the perfect one right off the bat.
  • Misty
    Moonlitnight, where can I find there Return Shipping on Us Progam? I have never returned any "not so great" wigs because the cost of shipping the hair back, and then the replacement back out to me was so expensive.
  • Moonlitnight
    I am not sure PayPal Australia has it, but it should. OK I just found it. You just have to activate it BEFORE you buy the object that you wish to return. https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns
  • Misty
    You are wonderful - thank you so very much. I never knew this was there. It will really help so much. :hearts: :heart: :hearts:
  • Moonlitnight
    No worries. I never knew it existed until Vee told me :) xo
  • JeannetteB
    thanks so much for the tip MLN. Have a good Monday
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.