• Cathy
    I've been wearing wigs for 5-6 years now, all longer than shoulder length. I have the same problem with every wig in that they start frizzing after about a month. (Most are Rachel Welch). I've tried all kinds of conditioners and none seem to really work. I eventually start trimming the wig until I end up with a shorter than shoulder length wig. Then finally break down and order a new one. A wig usually lasts 3-6 months total. I'm thinking about going with a shorter wig to start with hopes it won't frizz so much. Is this a reasonable assumption? Or does anyone have the cure for the frizzies?
  • Shar W
    I use a hand held fabric steamer, a flat iron on low heat or a hot air brush. I use all 3 and all of them work great. 3-6 months, well that depends on how often you wear them. But shorter wigs will last longer.
  • Moonlitnight
    Welcome to the forum, Cathy. I am convinced that RW HD fibre is a nasty thing unto itself. It's crazy that a hand-tied HD wig costing over $400 can be in shreds in just two weeks. That's how long my Spotlight Elite lasted. I am taking the scissors to it tonight. Isn't it strange that any other item from a "reputable" company can be returned if it is defective? Grr!
  • buckeyegal1963
    I'm assuming your RW wigs are HD, as Moonlitnight and many others have said, they frizz up really quickly. I don't own any HD wigs myself, most of mine are Jon Renau wigs, I've worn Minka regularly for probably about 2 months now, she is a couple of inches below my shoulders and no frizzing yet, still looks good as new. So if you're wanting to stick with RW, maybe try one that is not heat friendly.
  • Moonlitnight
    I was just reading the reviews on another long RW wig—Show Stopper—and many people are saying they frayed and looked disgraceful after a week or so. There is an official response to one poor woman suggesting that she didn't give her wig enough care! "Love your wig and it will love you." Seriously? I find this sort of attitude lacking. It's the same as telling customers "Thank you for your patience and understanding" when the customer is clearly upset about something.
  • dc21
    Wigs.com has several of those condescending and insulting responses to customer's criticisms in their reviews. I read one in the EW Arrow review section where they actually said the reviewer stretched the cap because it wasn't made for average size heads making the hairline look sparse. From the reviewer's picture, the wig was clearly sparse and defective. It wasn't the only time I had read that complaint either.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Wow, those responses are just appalling! That's no way to gain customer loyalty that's for sure, and I certainly will never purchase a HD RW wig or the Arrow I've been considering.
  • Moonlitnight
    That is inexcusable.
  • dc21
    Arrow is my style definitely. What has stopped me from purchasing it is that it is around $100 more than other brands mono part styles. Also, the various reviews I have read about it being thin in the back and wefts showing. Wigs shed over time, so that is a concern of mine.
  • buckeyegal1963
    I know, price has stopped me too. Wigoutlet has it for $250
  • Vee1028
    hi and welcome to the forum. As you can see, RW HD fibers aren't very popular around here right now...at least not in long styles.
    I have seen videos where someone was ironing their wig to get rid of the Grizzlies. Low temp and a damp cloth over the wig. Lots just use steam and cut the ends as needed like you do. I only wear shorter wigs and they last forever!! Seriously.
  • VocalEyes
    I have had the same happen to me. I've had to get the back trimmed (especially the long ones). I've had my long wigs for quite a while but I don't wear them as much. If you're wearing the same wig on a daily basis, 3-6 months seems about right. Some last longer.
  • Katooshie
    There is only one cure for frizzies! Trimming! :)
  • Misty
    Hi Cathy, I always wear long wigs and after about one month of full time wear, I need to steam the ends as well as the underneath near the nape, to fix the frizzies. Here is a video I watched when I learnt how to steam:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2LcFFRmt0
    Hope this is of help to you. I do not wear HD wigs, I wear regular synthetics.
  • Cathy
    Misty:
    I just watched the video. Thank you! I wish I knew this about 5 years ago. I'm going to get me a steamer and renew all my wigs! If you have a wig with waves or curls and you steam it, will it go back to it's original style when it dries if you shake it out?
  • dc21
    No, you have to put the curl back in
  • Cathy
    Thank you all for your tips. Yes, most of my RW wigs are heat friendly, but I'm going to stop ordering them because of the frizzies. I've stuck with RW for years because I found a shade I love, but perhaps it's time to make a change. What brands are the best if you want to avoid dealing with the frizzies?
  • Misty
    k73vjxag0ch5yxrb.jpg
    pxm6e7sbfl9487lp.jpg
    cv3yqp7cjkys50ec.jpg
    This is my "before" stressed frizzie ends on a JR Zara wig, and the two "after" photos. Apologies about the colouring, the lighting was not great when I took the pics.
  • Misty
    I love my steamer, and could not live without it now.
  • Vee1028
    wow....that is fabulous! It looks like totally different hair.
  • Moonlitnight
    I find this quite incredible. I have steamed my RW with absolutely no effect whatsoever. None. I have used the right technique as well. Once again, I call foul on RW HF fibre.
  • Misty
    I love my steamer, the result on the JR Zara is beautiful every time I steam it. It looks and feels soft, silky and like new fibre. I have also tried on TressAllure fibre, with a very good result - not quite so soft, but almost. Once I start wearing a new wig, by the time I have worn it from 7am to 9.30pm every day for a month, it needs steaming. I then end up using the steamer pretty well once every week or so to keep it looking good. I stop wearing the wig (and use it for sleeping only) when the lace front starts to show its age. I still steam the ends though.
    I bought RW Miles of Style, but haven't worn it out as I can't get it to look right on me. Its been sitting in the box LOL. I am going to try to use the steamer to change the look, and will let you know how it goes.
  • Moonlitnight
    I think I am, going to use MOS for updos. It is just completely WEIRD worn loose. I should have returned it.
  • Misty
    I have used my steamer on MOS and the result is quite a bit better. All the hundreds and hundreds of hairs that were sticking out randomly have settled down, and I have straightened the main bulk of the wig. Now it is straight it is evident (at least in this specific wig) that the cut is not great, so I will try and trim it a little to style it, and then use the steamer again to put a little bit of movement back in it. At least I think I can wear this now, and not hide it in the box LOL. It will be interesting to see what happens with this one.
  • Vee1028
    oh, here it looks very similar to the style in your profile picture. I think you are probably just missing the lowlights you are used to in that wig. Otherwise it looks very nearly the same. Can you put a little curl back into the ends? Looks good!

I ironed the nape of a wig my sister left here for me to practice trimming. It was really frizzy and it looks totally fine now! I just dampened the hair a bit and put a damp cloth over the hair and ironed it on a low setting.
  • Misty
    Hi Vee1028, I have steamed this again, putting a bit of movement back in to the ends, so I would be okay to wear this out. Can you see the random hairs still sticking out though? More obvious on one side than the other, maybe because of the sunlight. Not from lack of brushing to settle down. I tried dampening again, and as soon as it dries, up they stick again. Way too many to pull out LOL. The fibre feels quite good after the two steamings though. It will be interesting to see how it holds up with a bit of wear.
    Maybe worthwhile trying to steam it a bit straighter? I feel your pain on this one, it took quite a bit more effort for a brand new wig than what I usually have to do.

Wow, so proud you ironed the wig, I would have been petrified! That is really good to know. I do a bit of travelling, so if I don't have my trusty steamer packed with me and a disaster happens, that could be a quick fix for me. . :hearts:
  • Moonlitnight
    Wow! That does look a heck of a lot better. is that the golden wheat colour? It bugs me that I have to f*rt around with a wig to get it to look even half decent. There is something very amiss with this wig. I am not fond of the colour of mine but that's because I am spoiled by Biscuit. Thanks for the encouraging pics! xo
  • Misty
    Yes the colour is Golden Wheat. It looks okay for now, but I will not be repurchasing this style. Still way too many random hairs sticking out, for my taste. Maybe it will settle down a bit after some wear. It is styling very similar now to my fav, JR Zara.
  • Vee1028
    oh yeah...that looks so much better. And I do see the darker shades now. Veerry pretty!
    Have you tried spraying her with leave in conditioner to tame the hairs down?

Oh, I would have never been brave enough to try the iron if it hadn't been an old wig.
  • BeatA
    xg5swh7z31fxplsx.jpeg
    xg5swh7z31fxplsx.jpeg
    can you take a razor blade and just cut the hairs that stick out? I think I saw someone do that online.
    Or maybe take some nail
    Scissors and follow the hair down a bit and then cut it. Will Take some time though if it is a
    Lot of them...
    I steamed and flat ironed Minka yesterday because the flip was going the wrong way ( IMO) I worked pretty well I think.
    Here is a picture.
  • Vee1028
    I can't see your pictures. Did you remove them?
  • Misty
    Thanks Vee . I will try the spray and leave in conditioner first, and see how it goes.
    Hi BeatA, sorry I can't see your pictures either?
  • BeatA
    ok here I’ll
    Try again. I also took another because the first one makes it look like it came out too straight.
    4epuqwulu91kln5l.jpeg
    uqckp7bf9p9od46j.jpeg
    I think on the first one it may have still been a bit wet from the steam.
  • Misty
    Really like this second photo - it looks really natural. Love the colour :hearts:
  • BeatA
    yes me too it’s that14 26S10 from JR. I found out that it is nearly identical to the Ellen Wille Light Bernstein rooted on the longer styles because I have that on my Code Mono and the two next to each other are nearly identical in color.
  • Vee1028
    Much better in that 2nd photo!
  • alicexm
    that style/color look so good on you! I have definitely got to get the hand of steaming. I have a Zoey by Envy that is in such a frizzy mess in the back. Good one to practice with.
  • btrflygal7
    I stick with shorter wigs, I remember when I was a newbie to wigs and bought a shoulder length wig, the women in the store warned me and when it happened I still was clueless, I had to find out how to fix it, steaming does the trick and trimming but I find shorter wigs work best for me.
  • Erzsike
    I just love Patti! Her videos are so helpful. Cathy, it is inevitable that long wigs will frizz soon with everyday wear. I steam and trim mine and recurl on low heat with an iron. (synthetic wig). Longer wigs require more maintenance and I love the look so I am willing to put in the time to make them last and look good as long as possible. It is a choice, in my opinion. xxoo
  • Erzsike
    You can also take your wig to a wig salon if one is close to you. for $$ they will do the work.
  • Lolly
    So how do you put the curl back in? I’ve tried the blow dry curling iron that Godiva recommends but not impressed. Sponge rollers leave a ridge.
    I also want to comment as a hairstylist, real hair especially long straight hair almost always have little pieces sticking up except in hair commercials . Real hair grows at different cycles and is always replenishing itself so you’ll have different lengths within a long hair style. It would s what it is.
  • Misty
    Thanks Alicexm, I am so used to wearing long wigs I just look wrong in the shorter styles.
    Love Patti and her "how to" videos, she has taught me a lot!
    I put the wave back into my hair by reshaping the wig how it was when it arrived in the box. I lay it down on a towel, and hold my steamer over this for a few moments or more, and then let the hair dry with this wave style. If I can, I will leave it overnight to "set" after this steaming, and it is almost as good as when I took my hair out of the box.
  • Lolly
    But doesn’t the steamer flatten it?
  • Lolly
    I use the steamer for fizzles and changing parts or directional issues but not successful I getting my bouncy back☹️
  • JeannetteB
    Wow, this all sounds like so much work! I’m on the verge of buying my first wig and I really want something around collarbone length. But all this talk of frizzing and steaming is making me nervous
  • Misty
    II lay my hair down on a towel, curled in the same shape as when it is first in the box, and then steam it. It puts the wave or movement (not big curls) back into the hair. It doesn't flatten it at all.
    You don't need to do anything usually when the wig is new. I find because I wear long wigs all the time, the steaming helps extend the life of the hair fibre, and that saves me a heap of money. Once you have steamed your wig a time or so, it is really quite quick to do. I can steam my really long JR Zara wig (including the re-shaping) in under 5 minutes. :hearts:
  • JeannetteB
    do you mean with a clothes steamer, or a special wig steamer?
  • Misty
    Wow, tried to reply twice and my comment has been blocked for moderation. I bought a hand held steamer on ebay for $20 - $25.
  • Misty
    Hopefully they will let me post this link for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2LcFFRmt0
  • JeannetteB
    oh yay, I already have a handheld clothes steamer! Whew, one less expense
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!