• A7X
    I'm slowly gathering my courage to transition to the wig I bought, but I have some questions.

For daily wig wearers, is there anything you do to the wig to make it look slightly different from day to day like hair would normally? Or is this just me being hypersensitive to people noticing? Should I buy two wigs and rotate them? My wig is rooted, should I buy an unrooted one to make it look like I got my roots done?

There's also the possibility I'm overthinking all of this :grin:
  • Sunset
    I have two wigs by JR & they're the same color. They actually look very similar, so I rotate them around. I think when someone is wearing the same color & close to the same length people don't notice at all. I wear my wigs in different styles, sometimes half up, all the way down, or even up sometimes. This is what people do with their own bio hair.
  • Alex Kautz
    My wigs always look slightly different, even when wearing them multiple days in a row. The hair will not typically stay in one place ALL day... sometimes more gets tucked behind one ear... a breeze could move a few strands around... etc! This all adds to a more natural look, I think. I always like to get my wigs perfect and then mess them up a little bit so they look more realistic!

Getting two wigs and rotating them is definitely a smart idea. It will extend the life of both wigs and it's always a good idea to have a backup just in case! :)

I personally like rooted wigs better than unrooted.. but having one of each would be nice! The hypersensitivity to people noticing will go away a lot quicker than you think :D

By the way.. what wig did you buy?! I want to see :)
  • A7X
    Thanks to both of you for your tips and help! I got the Stop Traffic by RW, pics are posted in another thread.

I'm taking it up to visit a good friend of mine in Boston next weekend, so she'll be brutally honest with me and I can get a better sense of how good or bad it looks!
  • Sunset
    I visited Boston years ago in the fall season. It was so beautiful there. We don't have the changing of the seasons like that where I live. I hope you have fun, and let us know what your friend thinks about your Stop Traffic wig.
  • VocalEyes
    I wear all shapes, sizes and colors. I figure that if I have to wear wigs, I'm going to have fun them! I'm not always confident when I do this. I just suck it up and be strong. When my husband is with me, some men will make the comment, "Al, I bet you don't know who you're going to wake up with. I like that.". Al tries to ignore them. Hearing that has gotten old. I chalk it up to stupidity!
  • Moonlitnight
    Sunset, am I being forgetful or did I miss something? I just saw you post that it's winter where you are. Where are you? Lol.
  • Moonlitnight
    Such a good question! It reminds me of a movie and I can't remember which one, where a guy had 20 or so of the same wig cut to different lengths so that people wouldn't guess. (I think he was a serial killer or something like that.) I have a huge issue with my wigs looking too different from each other to be "me." I am waiting to find the one wig that will actually please me. I find longer wigs look too fat around the skull to be real. Maybe it's permatease. Hair just doesn't fall that way. I thinned Shilo and now have all these short cut-offs poking through the longer hairs :( RW longer wigs just have these annoying long bangs that flop everywhere. Once I have found "the" wig, if I ever do, I will buy a few and one may even be rooted.
  • Sunset
    It's not winter here now. I live in California. i was just saying I like when it's winter now because I can wear long sleeves & hide my hand veins that show now. i always have had thin hands with long fingers. Now due to age the skin has thinned out making the veins pop out. It's hot here now, but I know it could be worse. It's 80 degrees here right now, & that's too hot for me. Much better than last week when there was record a record high of 109. I'm grateful I have air conditioning. I'm happy with 70 degrees and a nice breeze.
  • Katooshie
    I am a firm believer in styling wigs. Very few wigs look natural or good just out of the box and plopped on the head. I also think they look good a little ruffled up...not too perfect...this is why I am not afraid to treat my wigs roughly. Natural hair gets a little frazzled at the ends and "too perfect" wigs are a giveaway. If a wig doesn't have rooting, I always add roots with brown eye shadow that matches my bio hair colour. I have 3 wigs that I rotate: a straight, a wavy and a curly, all the same length and colour. This gives me styling variety and fun. I use got2b glued gel to stick my wig to the forehead and a small plastic wig comb holds the back. I apply the small wig comb in the back with crazy glue (super glue) which lasts forever. I cut these combs out and use them again when the wig wears out. I wear my wig for 2 days straight like this and then wash it, condition it with fabric softener, brush it out, and let it air dry til the next use. My 3 wigs last on average a "season" so I rebuy the same 3 wigs each spring, summer, fall and winter...I buy slightly darker colour in fall/winter. I also buy new wigs to try for fun and experimentation, and for self portraits that I use in my art journal. You can see my many styles here:

http://katooshie.blogspot.com/
  • Moonlitnight
    OK, I saw the "winter now" and thought, she must live in the Southern Hemisphere. How did I miss that? Lol! I don't do well in the heat at all. I see we have another heatwave arriving before the weekend. Ugh!
  • Moonlitnight
    I have 3 wigs that I rotate: a straight, a wavy and a curly, all the same length and colour. This gives me styling variety and fun.Katooshie

This is what I am hoping to achieve. I have to thin Brandi but both Brandi and Shilo have the horse blanket permatease around the scalp. Bleh!
  • Sunset
    This is what I am hoping to achieve. I have to thin Brandi but both Brandi and Shilo have the horse blanket permatease around the scalp. Bleh!

:rofl: Hose blanket permatease. (funny) I hate that stuff, I can take a little, but some wigs have way too much.
  • Crystal
    All of my wigs are on the shorter side except for three of them. Only two are the same color and the style is completely different. Monday thru Friday at work I wore Echo and then on Saturday and Sunday I wore Kenzie. Totally different styles and colors.
  • KB7707
    I’ve seen the picture of you in Stop Traffic.. you look great in it... makes me want it myself... wear it with confidence!!!
  • BeautyWithin
    I'd be saucy right back and tell them, "You can't imagine what he goes to bed with each night." And wink! Then fling your gorgeous tresses over your shoulder, turn on your heel and leave them in the dust with their mouths hanging open. ; )
  • buckeyegal1963
    I change the part around sometimes to change it up, I don't think Stop Traffic has a mono part tho, or you can accessorize with pretty clips, jeweled bobby pins or a headband, there are lots of ways to change the look up a bit.
  • VocalEyes
    That’s awesome! I’ll do that!
  • Misty
    "You can't imagine what he goes to bed with each night." And wink! Then fling your gorgeous tresses over your shoulder, turn on your heel and leave them in the dust with their mouths hanging open.BeautyWithin

Love, love, love. I am never quick thinking enough to come up with a reply like this lol.
  • A7X
    Great tips everyone, thank you!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!