• Sunset
    I just saw on a site where a woman removed her wig explaining to someone she wore wigs. The person said "Oh, I knew it was a wig because it doesn't look real". Oh good grief, how sad to have someone say that to her. Other ladies reactions were people always know it's a wig, & they just don't say anything. A few others said they think only if someone has known you from before you wore them would they for sure know. That's most likely true, because now I look like I have more hair, but I like to wear low density wigs, or thin them out so it looks like my hair is fuller. When I used to wear my little human hair fall blended in with my hair, it matched so well I don't think anyone did know. I was just told I looked nice, but I don't think they could put their finger on why I looked nicer. They didn't say my hair looked nice, they just said I looked nice. Now I'm told I like your hair, but a few people said they think people say that to someone still knowing it's a wig. I still have my HH fall that's held up for many years, but my bio hair is so thin on top now I have trouble combing over it. I thought it looked OK a few months ago, but after taking pictures of myself in it, it just doesn't look the same on top now. As usual, it's always something with all my hairpieces & wigs. If only I could just have a normal amount of bio hair & not have to be bothered with all this. Why do people fully accept if someone is wearing extensions that's faux hair, but they don't accept toppers or wigs? Why do people want to make someone feel inferior because they wear a wig? I'm going to still wear them, there's nothing else I can do. I'm not going to run around with my bio hair.
  • Samantha
    I assume that most people know I’m wearing a wig, whether we’ve talked about it or not. I work with all women, lots of them, and most are younger than me. They seem incredibly perceptive to the slightest changes in each other’s hair, I’ve observed, and I’m certain they know there is something quite different about me. I have told a couple of coworkers, when they’ve asked how I get the coloring so pretty, or that sort of thing, and I imagine they’ve told others in my workplace, which I don’t mind. I actually prefer to just have it be known, but lack the nerve to just call a department meeting to announce it lol. I just try to look the best I can, which sometimes seems absurd, as I will sometimes catch glimpses of myself and don’t like, at all, how my hair looks, but it kind of “is what it is” and I move on.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh gawd. I know this. I was looking at myself in Shilo this morning and I thought, "This is beyond wiggy-looking" and ripped it off. I am going to put my Scene Stealer on in a minute, to go out shopping My wigs are looking more and more wiglike and I DO care. I know that women I meet on my hikes can tell it's a wig. I just KNOW this. My friend told me she could see the wefts in the back of Scene Stealer. She called them "funny lines." It's all so frustrating. Plus, it hangs in clumps and doesn't move even faintly naturally.
  • Sunset
    So very frustrating!!!
  • dc21
    RW sometimes doesn't put enough hair in her light, unrooted blondes. The tracks showing is unacceptable! If you are going on a hike, wear a floppy hat and put your hair in a ponytail over one shoulder.
  • Moonlitnight
    I actually do have a hat so I will do this. (I am not really a hat person.) All I want is a long wig that doesn't have a load of permatease and is the right colour. The closest I have come is my beautiful Belle Tress rooted topper, but with all the hair loss, I can't wear it. I have the wig in the same colour but it just isn't long enough and is completely flat on top. Since the hair is very silky and fine, I can't backbrush it.
  • Shar W
    For those "People" that say negative things or call us out on wearing wigs, are the same ones that would say you should wear one because of our thin hair. What do you do. it's either feel insecure because of our thin balding bio hair or wear a wig that may not look completely natural. Either way, someone will say something. So I choose a wig, at least when I look in the mirror, I feel like I look good. Do others I am wearing a wig, I don't know. Most of the time I don't care. Sometimes I get little feelings of insecurity but I tell myself its my life and I can do what I want. I am the sort of person that if someone tried to give me a hard time I would blast them. I am just not as sensitive to criticism as I used to be when I was younger. I try to find humor in situations like that and usually stops people in there tracks.
  • Moonlitnight
    With some people it is damned if you do and damned if you don't. Really.
  • Sunset
    Some days I'm secure about it, other days not so much. Maybe I'm bipolar about wearing wigs.
  • Misty
    Agree with you both. I wear my "hair" because there is no other option for me, and it makes me feel okay. I still have bad hair days and good hair days, because it is synthetic hair, that doesn't change life LOL.
  • Shar W
    I have good and bad as well. I think I maybe wig bipolar..LOL
  • Misty
    I think I maybe wig bipolar.Shar W
    He he, either that or we are completely normal with the rest of the worldwide population having good and bad hair days :hearts:
  • Al O'pecia
    Wow, some people are just cluelessly insensitive to others. It is quite remarkable really. I spend a fair amount of time trying to put myself into other peoples' heads and imagine what they might be thinking, but I'm having trouble envisioning what would prompt someone to say something like that unless a) it was a VERY close friend or family member who b) asked for an honest opinion, maybe just of that specific piece, and c) maybe didn't really need to wear a wig but thought it might be fun. I used to be extremely sensitive to stuff like that, but at this stage of my life I just figure screw 'em. I mean come on, are we supposed to just wear a grocery bag over our heads? Sheesh.
  • Shar W
    :rofl: Yep!
  • JohnD
    I really feel for women on this issue. I'm in a different territory being a male. Also, most males wear those fake/cheesy looking toupees (aka - a rug). I wear long hair women's wigs. I now could careless what people think and the more outrageous I look the better. They may look and stare because they are jealous that they don't have that part of the male anatomy to pull it off like I do.

A suggestion for you might be to have several wigs with different styles. Mix it up every few days. Then they'll know and you can always say: "you love wigs and the flexibility it gives you with looks and style" - then punch them in the face - just kidding about that last part.
  • Sunset
    (LOL) I guess we should wear a grocery bag.
  • KB7707
    I also have no choice having alopecia, but there are days when I feel like everybody is only looking at my hair and I think netting is showing or something and i feel so insecure. Then the next day I feel great... I sometimes wish people had to go through just ONE day what we go through EVERY day...
  • Moonlitnight
    Lol! By the way, I was having a major bad hair day today and so I took off my Shilo and put on my newly hacked Spotlight, twisted it up into a clip and felt really cool (in both senses of the word). I LOVE that wig.
  • Misty
    Yes I know the feeling. I don't think anyone can understand unless a) they go through hair loss themselves, or b) their beloved partner experiences this.
    Love this! :hearts:
    Love this too! :hearts:
  • Moonlitnight
    That's what I've said to myself. Having a bad hair day.

I was thinking about this today on my hike—how easy wigs are in some ways and in others not. I was concerned that mine had slipped when I was out food shopping today and saw a couple of people staring at me. Some folks like to make it very obvious. Wearing helper hair isn't easy, is it?

I sometimes wonder if I haven't slipped up and actually put a bag on my head, with all the stares. Today was particularly bad for some reason.

the more outrageous I look the better.JohnD
    I agree about that, Sir.
    then punch them in the faceJohnD
    Bahahaha!
  • PhyllisB
    I just had this experience today and it was in a wig shop of all places! Ha! I accompanied my sister to the shop because her hair has thinned to the point where she is feeling self-conscious and she wants to start wearing wigs. When we walked in the first thing the owner asked was if I got my wig at her shop and being borderline rude, basically said she could tell I bought it online because it was too thick and wiggy looking. I've been wearing this style (RW Winner) for the past four years and I've never felt that way;yes it makes me feel confident. I've had strangers stop me and ask where I got my hair cut; my father's home care nurse was stunned to find out that it was a wig. The wig shop experience was one I wouldn't repeat; not only because the owner was rude to me, but because she was very dismissive of my sister and gave us the impression that she couldn't be bothered to take the time and help her.
  • dc21
    Wow, she lost a sale and any possible referrals!
  • PhyllisB
    Yes, she absolutely did! And the odd thing is that this place got five star reviews on Google for "her compassion and customer service". Say what? I think they must be talking about someone else because she sure didn't provide either one today!
  • Moonlitnight
    How utterly obnoxious and rude! I wonder what she would have said if you had replied that you had bought it at her shop. She would probably have yes, "Ah, I thought so because it looks so good on you." People are such dorks sometimes.
  • Misty
    So angry this happened to you. Some people should not be in business. You look lovely in this style, and the fact that others have complimented you and asked you where you had your hair cut says it all.
    I agree, she probably would have had another answer ready too! Shame on her.
  • PhyllisB
    Thank you Misty!

I never thought of it that way, you're probably right! Or she would have said gee I don't remember you!
  • VocalEyes
    I"m with you! Laughter is the best medicine! It brings your blood pressure down.
  • Sunset
    It's obvious the owner of the wig store doesn't like how we can purchase wigs online, so she was rude to you playing into your emotions. I've dealt with rude wig store owners myself; if someone ever wants to go into one they need to be aware of this. (I'm sure there must be some nice wig store owners) I even felt bad when I wore my HH wig to my hairstylist. Right away she was making derogatory comments about it; I fell for it hook-line-and-sinker & left with my head hanging in misery. I now know she felt she was going to lose my business if I started wearing wigs, & she was right. My HH wig is beautiful I know positively. I've never returned back to this hair stylist or any other one! So now I consider she did me a favor. I just cut my own hair that's easy to do. With my savings of doing it myself I buy wigs & hairpieces I order online.
  • PinkEvie
    Shocking, why are some people so rude, I would go on Google and tell your experience and let people know the other side of this person and her business.

You look beautiful in your photo, lovely hair. xx
  • alicexm
    “...bipolar..” . If you are then so are most of us. Love your attitude.

As for your “friend”, she’s probably one of those people who always has to be right, first, knows more, etc. I feel sorry for her and her siblings who always have to be on top at everyone else’s expense. Recognize her for what she is and move on. To paraphrase Stuart Smally , “you’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and doggone, people like you!”
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Honestly, I don’t give two $hits if others know I’m wearing a wig. To me, i look great. And if I look great I feel great. It’s sbout me. Not them. End of story.
  • Erzsike
    you know from my previous posts that other women have called me out saying I wear a wig. I have a relatively new job and the majority of my co-workers are women. No one in my unit has said one thing about my hair so I suspect they think it is a wig. I am tired of being criticized. I hardly think they have beat cancer twice and now have it a third time. My two cents!
  • Erzsike
    I have sort of this experience with my wig lady. What I usually do when I want a new style is to go to her. I try on wigs and not commit. That is how I found my now go-to wig, Harper. I still go to her shop (in my home town) to buy supplies or check out other stuff. She knows as some time has past that I am not wearing the Harper I bought from her You can just tell from the way she looks at me. ha!
  • Mort
    No one thinks that my perfect nails grew that way, my smoky eyes and red lips are natural, my smooth lines and cleavage are not gifts from Victoria’s Secret and Spanx, or my winter tan was the benefit of a secret tropical escape...why the heck should I care if they think my hair comes off a wig stand? Almost everyone stages their look everyday in a myriad of ways. So, people know I wear a wig? Old news.
  • Samantha
    Truer words have never been spoken. Amen!
  • BarbT75
    Gosh listening to all of you I m wondering if anyone can tell I have a wig on now. I go out with such confidence and actually when I tell people who compliment me, many of them, that its a wig, they go no way we would never know. I have never had anyone say, oh I knew it was. :( Now Im thinking are they being nice to me. :) I would think that ppl today are crass and upfront especially by your posts that maybe they would tell me. I am going out today feeling confident until some mean spirited person tells me "Oh where did you buy that wig" Me I would probably be really rude back. lol I just say do what makes you feel beautiful and confident and my wigs do that for me. I do not have a hair problem but my hair is so fine and soft I just can't do it any longer and at 75 I deserve to not fret over my darn hair. Good luck to you all and be perfect and I would say put up the middle finger on any one that says otherwise but they might boot me off this post. lol Happy Sunday
  • Cathe Lartigue
    Preach sister! I'm with you!
  • Moonlitnight
    Great attitude. I might be coming out this fall when I get a light brown wig! It won't be easy for me but at least it will give me the opportunity to explain—and I feel the personal need to do that.
  • Hairtogo
    Mort....May I ask what wig you are wearing?
  • mcvoice
    That's how I feel Mort! Way to preach. But I admit I am surprised (and sad) at how some people "called out" some of you in the way you've described :( So sorry you had to go thru that. Just after I started to wear full wigs and wear them every day I was at a music meeting (at church!) with colleagues and one of the women made a reference to me like "Dolly Parton over there..." and she wasn't talking about my boobs. So I said with a smile "that's right! All Mine and then some more!" and snapped my fingers (like Snap). Shut the whole thing down because I Owned it and while they initially thought they "had something" on me they knew right then and there they had nuthin'
    No one else has said a word. It's old news now. And I feel opposite of many of you - I'm pretty convinced most people actually don't know I'm wearing my add-on hair. Definitely men don't know.
  • Moonlitnight
    Good for you. It has to be jealousy. Confident, happy people don't try to put others down.
  • Mort
    In my profile picture, I think it's Shari by Envy. But I wear Point by Ellen Wille a lot. In the attached video, I'm singing on a beach perfectly coifed in Shari. Do I care if people know it's a wig? Hardly.

https://youtu.be/qG909am0iL4
  • Misty
    Gorgeous!
  • Hairtogo
    Mort, you are so talented! Such a beautiful voice and you look gorgeous. I love Shari on you. I can’t seem to find a color in Envy that works for me
  • Moonlitnight
    That is beautiful!
  • Tammie
    great advice * John...cant i still punch them in the face lol
  • Katooshie
    honestly who cares if its a wig and people know...as long as its fabulous! Own it baby!
  • Erzsike
    Love your video and love your singing! you are a star!!!!!
  • Melody
    I have been wearing wigs for 20 years and I can tell when someone KNOWS by the way they look at me. That has probably happened 2-3 times. A few times I have told someone I wore a wig and they were genuinely shocked. For example, I had to tell my plastic surgeon and at a follow up appointment, his new nurse said "your hair is beautiful" and I responded "thank you, it is a wig." She didn't believe me and the doctor assured her it was.

I don't think its that hard to make a wig look very natural if you wear a high quality wig.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.