• buckeyegal1963
    I purchased Raquel Welch Pure Allure SS1488 Shadow Golden Wheat off of Amazon since it had been discontinued on this site, a little over a month ago. I wasn't too crazy about her at first, too much hair and a lighter, brighter blonde than I am used to. Today I thinned the heck out of her and since the weather has been summer like, thought why not at least try wearing a blonder wig, so that's what I did, and wore her while out and about today. I got her for $68 bucks on Amazon, it was $211 here, so I decided to go back on Amazon, but no more blonde shades available. They have a few darker shades left ranging from $70-$100, maybe I'll be adventuresome and try going darker.

pvfob2bgu85krg86.jpg
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh that is drop dead gorgeous on you. You look like a model and I truly love that colour. I think you did a fantastic job. Just wow. xo Did you shorten it as well? I just took a look at it and it seems longer.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you Moonlitnight! It was way too much hair when I first put it on, very bulky on me, it didn't look natural at all. I bought a thinning comb, I think it was Cathe who recommended that comb on a thread, and went to town, I took out quite a bit of hair. I didn't take any off the length other than what came off when I thinned it, so it's possible thinning made it a tad shorter. I'm not a tall person, 5'3 and I don't have a long neck at all, wish I did, wish my chin was a tad longer and more defined too...heck while I'm at it wish the legs were longer as well, lol
  • Moonlitnight
    Lol. I have a VERY short neck. This really looks superb on you. I love it.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thanks you :hearts: I'm glad I decided to try the thinning thing and actually managed to do it without screwing it up! It looks blonder to me in person than the photo, lotsa platinum highlights, but I think she'll be a nice summer look for me.
  • Lori
    Wow! That looks great on you. Really nice color on you too ❣️❣️
  • Lori
    a thinning comb? Wow. I didn’t know there was such a thing. I have also used a razor to get wispy type ends to frame your face. It works really well.
  • Moonlitnight
    I am very interested in the thinning comb for my Brandi. What sort of razor do you use Lori?
  • Misty
    You look fantastic in this - love the colour :heart:
  • Misty
    Hi Moonlitnight, I will try and attach a photo of the hair thinning scissors I bought on ebay - I used them on my Henry Margu Violet, and they worked really well. I watched Pattis You Tube video about 4 times before I tried the thinning.
    Attachment
    Capture (57K)
  • Moonlitnight
    Hi Misty! Thank you. I believe mine are like these. They terrify me. I used them on Brandi but not nearly enough. I really have to get going on this again.
  • buckeyegal1963
    @Cathe Lartigue I think it was Cathe who recommended this thinning comb a little while back in a thread, thanks Cathe it worked great! It's called Tinkle Hair Cutter, I got mine on Amazon, here's a link:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DYM62C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you use this, be sure to clip up the top layers of your wig before thinning, otherwise you'll get short hairs sticking up on top.
  • Moonlitnight
    Oh perfect! Thank you. I will definitely try this. xo
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you Misty :smile: I have some thinning shears as well, but like Moonlitnight I was afraid to use them.

Just do a little at a time until you get the density you desire. One swipe of the comb looked like it took out a lot of hair, and after each swipe I would try it on until I was satisfied with it. I think I took more hair out of that wig than I have on my head, it was that bulky looking.
  • Katooshie
    Very pretty!
  • Moonlitnight
    Yes, the trying it on is a good idea. I just panicked and stopped about eight snips in.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you Katooshie :smile: I'm glad I tried the thinning thing on it, it's been sitting in it's box for the last month, I didn't think that I would ever wear it, but now I kinda like it and it was a pretty good bargain.
  • buckeyegal1963
    I was never going to wear it the way it was, so I figured I had nothing to lose by taking that thinning comb to it. You can also make a topper out of your Brandi if all else fails, I've seen youtube videos showing how to do that. That wouldn't have worked for me with Pure Allure, my bio hair is more of a honey blonde, it wouldn't blend in at all for me.
  • Moonlitnight
    You know, Vicki, I just tried my massively large Upstage on and it is going! Brandi was sitting next to it so I slapped it on over my hair, which I have never done before, and it looked perfectly fine. I think that when I used to try it on, I just wasn't used to seeing myself with hair and so it looked unnaturally thick. I've worn the topper now for almost a month and am used to seeing myself with hair. Funny how that works. I am listing the Upstage on eBay. It has to be the most unappealing and aging style. The cap being absolutely ginormous doesn't help. I will be happy to have it out of the closet. I hope I don't feel the same way about the Editor's Pick.
  • Vee1028
    you did a great job thinning that. She looks really pretty and natural on you. I had seen this for sale on another site and thought it looked a bit too thick for me also, but she looks great now that you've thinned her. I have one of those thinning combs that I bought at a beauty supply place but found the thinning shears easier to use.
    If you are still wanting another one in a different color someone on Ebay has them in most all of the colors it was available in. It's $79 and free shipping.
  • Moonlitnight
    Good morning, Vee! Thanks for that info. Yes, I remember the shock on three friends' faces when I went for a curry with them, wearing my Shilo. They all thought it looked like a wig but I wonder if they would now. Probably as it is rather too long and thick. Or is it? I must try it on again and see. Angelica looks ridiculous and has a horrible plain cap where you can see the wefts. How quickly we become "experts." :)
  • Katooshie
    i am learning that this wig thing is all experimental :)
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thanks so much :smile:
    Yes it is for sure, I just received my Belle Tress Peppermint today, I had such high hopes, but I'm disappointed, I'm going to have to play around with her if I keep it.
  • Moonlitnight
    I had such high hopes, but I'm disappointed, I'm going to have to play around with her if I keep it.buckeyegal1963
    Oh nooo! What is not quite right with it?
  • buckeyegal1963
    I just posted a thread on my Peppermint, for one the roots are extremely dark, although I do like the overall color, it's similar to my JR pieces, so I'm hoping some root cover up will help. It also has very little volume, I don't like super voluminous hair on me, but Peppermint lays pretty flat.
  • Moonlitnight
    I will go check. How disappointing!
  • Toni Warner
    Wow! that looks great, you look fantastic.
  • Shar W
    I love this one. You look beautiful.

Just be careful. They can remove a lot of hair if you are not careful.

Old story about thinning combs. My mom asked my little brother to comb my sisters hair before she went to school. He was about 8 and my sister was 5. He grabbed a comb and started combing her hair. My mom came out to see how he was doing. He had wads of hair on the floor. My mom screamed and grabbed the comb. It was a thinning comb! LOL !!!!! Her hair was past her butt and had to be cut up to her shoulders.
  • buckeyegal1963
    Thank you!

Omg Shar, too funny! Oh the things we do as kids, I remember cutting my sister's hair when I was about 6 years old, my mom was NOT happy with me at all.

I was careful with the thinning comb, clipped the top up and checked it after each swipe, I was surprised how much came out with every swipe, but it was pretty bulky on me and needed it for it to be wearable for me.
  • Shar W
    Moms are never happy when we do that. My sister wanted me to trim her bangs once. Her hair is really curly. Of course I didn't know what I was doing, I pulled them down really tight and cut them. They bounced up to 1 inch above her eyebrows....LOL She chased me around the house wanting to kill me. Good thing I could run faster than her. HAHA!
  • buckeyegal1963
    :rofl: She probably got you back one way or another! I also have a younger brother, my sister and I would practice make up and hair styling techniques on him when he was a little boy. That was back in the 70's when all the boys had a bit longer hair, we'd put barettes and head bands on him, curl his hair etc. He insists he doesn't remember, but I think he liked it lol.
  • Shar W
    LOL!!!!! Yep, she got me back.
  • Lori
    that looks like a dandy little device. Gotta write that down. Thanks ❣️
  • Lori
    I just use any kind of razor. I don’t think it matters much. Just pull the hair tight and gently razor some wispy ends in. It works pretty good. Only do a little at a time tho.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.