• baldie93
    Hello everyone ,

I am a 27 yo male. I started losing my hair at 17 and now a decade later all I can really do with it is shave it down because it is so thin. I have always wondered if as a male I could get away with a wig. They always looked so cool!

I guess as I have grown older I have gained more confidence (meeting my husband certainly helped). I asked him what he thought of a wig and he didn't care either way, he told me to go for it if I wanted to. He is pretty cool.

I just am nervous about what everyone's reactions will be at work. I am a nurse. and to go from bald to suddenly a wig must be a surprise!

So how did you all get over that nervousness and was there times that you thought, maybe I should not?

Thank you.
  • HairLove
    @baldie93 What a great choice...very cool indeed! Methinks your husband may have to start worrying about competition w/you in that new hair! Honestly, tho, doesn’t it feel great to have a supportive spouse—esp when it comes to something this personally consequential? Re: work : I’ve noticed there are some physicians on this site that have dealt w/the same issue..successfully :) I’ll bet they’ll chime in and help soon. However, having read back over posts regarding ‘first time’ nerves, here are some quotes I personally noted...@Happy to ve Retired “If someone looks good - either with or without a wig - I say you look good!...A wig actually does make you look better...Everyone is more obsessed with themselves than my hair..” @Larry “Those who love you aren’t going to care and new people will feel more comfortable around you when they see you are comfortable wearing your wig” (here!here!) I realise it’s much easier said than done but what Larry said is so true. You’re right. It’s going to be a dramatic change—but if you can possibly think of your new hair as an accessory (also noted by @Lostfrog) then you may even give others the courage to make the move to fun faux hair themselves!:heart:
  • Tav
    well said and quoted! My way isn't for everyone, I just put it on and went about my business. The ones that want to pick on me about my wigs call me Cleopatra or something like that. I hold my head up and agree with them. No one ever walked across a parking lot to compliment my real hair, but they did for my wigs. Get comfortable with it at home before venturing out. When the weather turns cooler, it will be easier to adapt to wigs.
  • HairLove
    @baldie93 Please listen to @Tav, as if ppl are actually known to walk across parking lots to compliment her on her hair, then she’s doing something really right!! In fact, I now don’t even care if my hair loss resolves or not—as I’m having waaaay too much fun w/my new wigs...
  • alicexm
    At 60+ I finally reached the point where there were no more “ comb overs” that actually fooled anyone. Hats were fine for camouflage but I couldn’t wear one at the office. After much soul searching I bought my first wig. She was fabulous. Loved her. Wore her for 2 weeks on holiday with my daughter and her family. Flew home and put her back in her box and went back to work sans wig. After a particularly frustrating week on a business trip, on Monday morning I put on my wig, boldly strode into my office and never looked back. Not a soul said a thing about my hair. That was more than 4 years ago and I’ve upped my wig wardrobe but haven’t been to the office or the grocery store without a wig. The lengths, styles, and even colors are subject to change, and still not a soul has said anything about my wigs. Perfect strangers approach me in airports, stores, and even at the gas pump to complement my hair, but no one has ever said a word about wigs.

I know this is long winded, but what I’m trying to tell you is you need to find the place within yourself to boldly go forward. Anyone who would ridicule you is fighting their own demons. Blessings and hugs for your journey.
  • Elizabeth Wigs com Team
    The initial transition to wearing a wig can seem daunting. You might feel a little anxious, wondering: What will other people think? How will my coworkers react? But remember: you’re choosing to wear a wig for you and your own happiness. That’s why it’s so important to select a wig that makes you feel confident in your own skin. Feel free to browse our men's wigs at https://www.wigs.com/collections/mens-wigs-toupees-hairpieces

Take your time and see what options are out there for you. If you have any questions along the way, our WigExperts are here to help! Please feel free to give us a call or email us at 800-581-2001.

Best regards!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.