• Larry
    Hi everyone. I need your feed back on something kind of personal. I'm sure you all will think my "problem" is silly and that I'm vain, but I’ll still ask anyway.

Some of you already know that while I was in college, I had to 'design and implement' a peer support group. I chose to work with people with alopecia areata. That was when I developed my passion for wearing wigs. I love being bald but I also enjoy having hair, and wigs allow me to enjoy being both bald or "haired," depending on the mood I'm in.

A few weeks ago I got my first blonde wig. A friend of mine with rich dark brown hair, has wanted to go blonde for years, but lacked the courage to do it.

Amy (aka Dawn) decided to have a going blonde day. That's when I was told - not asked - that I was also going to go blonde. I've written up an account of our big blonde adventure elsewhere.

This is my problem - although I bought my blonde wig to show support and encouragement for a friend to do something that would make her feel better about how she looked, has also had a serious impact on me.

Before going blonde day happened, I read a lot of articles about women who had gone blonde, noting all the positive things and benefits that they experienced, so I could reassure Amy by answering any questions or concerns she might have.

While Amy's hair was processing, our stylist had a go at me. My wig is dark blonde with a lace front and a monofilament panel for natural looking parts. Although she had read about these things, mine was the first she had actually seen. She knew I am bald as an egg, yet my wig is so natural looking that it confused a stylist with over 20 years experience.

Going blonde has been an overwhelming experience for me. All the women in my life, be they family, friends, or casual acquaints, they all like me better as a blonde! I hear things like, "that's your best wig yet," "don't wear any of your other wigs, just wear this one," and "Wow! I love your hair!" Even though they know it's a wig, they say hair.

I once read somewhere that women don't like blonde men, which makes no sense. For the first time in my life, women are smiling at me, they give me a little nod of their head as a way of saying they've noticed I've gone blonde and they approve, and several women have even winked at me.

I'm not used to getting all this well, positive attention. Is it OK to enjoy it? I'm 58, but when I look in the mirror, I think I look a lot younger now.

God bless and love,

Larry
  • linda
    So Enjoy...wink, wink.
    L
  • Larry
    LOL

Thank you! You've made my day - I definitely envy your husband.

God bless and love,

Larry
  • alicexm
    Who said women don’t like blonde men? Troy Donahue was a blonde and was quite a heart throb back in the 50’s and 60’s. Larry I love your blond hair.
  • Larry
    Thank you, Alice!
  • Tav
    It's happened to me too, Larry. I didn't think it made much difference, but I was wrong. I also get better service wherever I go, so it's my official shopping wig.

Enjoy the experience and allow the positive feedback to soak in. You deserve it.
  • Larry
    Thanks,Tav,

I'm so glad you posted something! You and I have posted a lot of stuff to each other over a number of years, so your opinions always matter a lot to me.

I never expected just how much women love me as a blonde - I knew they loved being blonde, but that t would be treated the same way has left me stunned. As much as I loved light auburn, I now know being blonde is the real me.

Dawn tells me she has experienced the same thing. We agree that we'll never be brunettes again. or us, being blonde makes life better.

God bless and love,

Larry
  • Tav
    Thanks Larry, that means a lot to me. I remembered something to share with Dawn from my time being blonde.

You shouldn't have this problem, but Dawn will face it with her bio hair. Tell her when her hair starts to look drab or discolored, use shampoos that are a dark purple to re-energize her locks. Just once or twice a month should do it. She can find quite a few on Amazon under Beauty and Personal Care. Just type shampoo for blonde color treated hair. It doesn't need to come from Amazon, but she'll see what brands carry it.

Take care and have the time of your life!
  • Larry
    Thanks Tav - I passed this on to Dawn, and she was thrilled! Like me, Dawn is still in the honey moon stage of being blonde, and wants to keep her blonde hair looking as good as it did when we left the salon.

Given the response I've had, I'm thinking of going a shade or two lighter for my next wig. What do you think? Can I pull it off?

God bless and love,

Larry
  • Larry
    I just wanted to thank all of dear, sweet, and special ladies for making my choice to go blonde, one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Because of you all, I feel like the women in those old Ms Clairol commercials - I've gone blonde (and maybe even blonder) . . . . . BECAUSE I'M WORTH IT!

Larry
  • animallover
    I was thinking Robert Redford..................looking good, looking good! Both of you!!
  • Larry
    LOL you are being too kind - but I'll run with it anyway! I think a little bit of silliness is good for the soul!

God bless and love,

Larry
  • Tav
    Go as blonde as you like. Some blondes will be cool toned so see if they will work with your skin tone. Yes, you are worth it. You always were.

I wasn't thinking about Robert Redford until you mentioned him. Now I'm going to try and not think about him. I doubt I will have much success with that. I tried not to blink when that man was on the screen.

A quick funny story about him. I was in a football forum where this one female was flirting with all the male posters. I really didn't think she was a female until someone posted a picture of Robert Redford the magnificent. She immediately stopped and asked who that was. At that point, I believed she was a female.
  • Larry
    LOL Well, I think I'll need to be careful in how I answer questions - being compared to Robert Redford (no matter how much better looking he is than me) isn't so bad, but I hope I'll not be compared to the Scandinavian actor who played the some what dim assistant to T. Nelson Craig in the sitcom "Coach."

Seriously, I hope you and yours are doing well.

God bless and love,

Larry
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Wigs.org forum!

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet! Join our community in one easy step and share your amazing and inspiring story with your wig family!

All views, opinions and comments are those of the author and do not represent wigs.com or it's affiliates.